General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Oil Pressure Sender

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:17 PM

Oil Pressure Sender

Greetings fellow HHR owners!

I have searched but couldn't find what I was looking for so here goes: Does anyone know where the Oil Pressure Sender is on the 2.2L Ecotec's?

I am considering installing an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and wanted to know how easy the access is before I purchase anything for this project.

Thanks in advance for any information or tips!
Old 01-17-2008, 07:28 AM

Welcome to the site. Now if you were talking about a chevy back in the '60 I could help you with your question. Off hand I would say you would have to put in a "T" fitting and keep the OP sender, since the computer would be going bonkers if it didn't get a signal from its little friend telling it what the pressure was. I'm sure others will chime in with comments and welcomes also.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

Agreed !!
Old 01-17-2008, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Karmike2

I have searched but couldn't find what I was looking for so here goes: Does anyone know where the Oil Pressure Sender is on the 2.2L Ecotec's?

I am considering installing an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and wanted to know how easy the access is before I purchase anything for this project.

According to the shop manual page 6-59 and 6-60 in order to remove the oil pressure sensor you have to remove the starter. It is also below and to the left* (a little) of the oil filter but still above the starter.
From the pictures it appears that the starter has to be removed to allow tool (socket) access to remove the sensor. If that is the case then there probably is not enough room to install a 'T' and what ever else you may need.

*left as when you lean over the radiator and face the engine.

The 2.4 engine is identical in this regard. Page 6-320 and 6-321.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Karmike2

Welcome to the group. There's gota be a way to install a gauge.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:03 PM
Founding Member

The starter must be removed to access the sender and the vehicle will not start if the computer does not see oil pressure.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:06 PM

Oil Pressure how to.......

Here is a how to for the 2.2

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showt...PRESSURE+GAUGE
Old 01-18-2008, 12:31 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Hmmm...if the stock sender is like 95% of the cars on the road, then the circuit is normally open and only closes when the oil pressure drops (to illuminate the light). If this is the case then unplugging the stock sender lead would make the computer think it has oil pressure at all times. If it is the opposite (normally closed) then you could ground the lead to make the computer think it has oil pressure at all times.

Anyone know for sure what type of sender the stock one is?

I looks like tight quarters for the stock sender location so I may look for a port located on the cylinder head or move on to a different gauge altogether.

I am glad I asked before jumping into it!
Old 01-18-2008, 08:13 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
The starter must be removed to access the sender and the vehicle will not start if the computer does not see oil pressure.
After further thought and research I find my quote is wrong. The vehicle will start with no oil pressure. All that would happen is a lot of annoying messages.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:45 PM

Hi, can anyone tell me if there is a obd port on 08 hhr and if so the location.Thanks

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Sender