General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Optima Batteries and the HHR update

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by 87silver
In mission critical facility systems, we use flooded cell batteries that must comply with IFC regs for spill containment and venting due to gassing (prevent Hydrogen accumulation >1% of room air). But VRLAs (low electrolyte/glass mat) are implicitly exempt from spill containment and have much more relaxed venting requirements. This is probably why they are used in the average family automobile. But in mid-voltage serial strings (380-420VDC), VRLAs are more prone to thermal runaway.

With that said, I don't know much about Optima batteries, as we don't use them in my industry (I have seen them in automotive magazines). Would it be safe to say that the Optima batteries are actually flooded cell batteries with a patented venting system?

If so, it would make sense, since FC "jars" are used in the most demanding environments that require high levels of availability. I would not think that they would be safe in consumer products such as the average family automobile. Perhaps this is why Optima is marketed only to the "special applications" market.
Optima batteries are safe to use. it is just the issue that most of them are not set up to vent out side a car and nothing more. lets not over complicate it.

As for the design it is a more durable design for things on the go that take a beating. Trucks, off road vehicles, Race cars, boats construction etc. The kind of applications that often short our plates in a normal battery.

We sell them mail order and to be honest they are not really much easier to ship. We have all the haz mat deals in place and it takes just the same as most of our other normal batteries.

The other advantage is you can mount it any were any way with out it leaking. The anti spill vents are what help with this battery and the fact the cells will not flake off and short plates as they age.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:13 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by SSguy
You ain't that old, are ya ???
I am.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:05 PM

Seems to me that a drill bit and some hose would fix the concern.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by irloyal
Seems to me that a drill bit and some hose would fix the concern.
Depends on what you are drilling.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I am.
So am I..........
Old 11-18-2009, 04:33 PM

Napa Exide Orbital Battery is better than Optima. Have one in the Corvette. Some people have had a lot of trouble with Optima.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by c2vette
I was told by a batterry distributor that the biggest advantage of the glass mat and similar batteries is that they can be shipped by almost any means with minimal restriction, and that the longest lasting best performing batteries are still the flooded design with proper maintenance. Obviously they can only be used in one orientation. Just one more piece of information to ponder.
Key words here are 'proper maintenance'! Still with an inside installation, I would rather not use a vented battery. Remote possibility of problems, but there is still that possibility.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:47 PM

Yeah, so how come I never died after driving 300K in VW bugs and KarmannGhias???? Unvented battery under back seat, generator not alternator? I am that old.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Yeah, so how come I never died after driving 300K in VW bugs and KarmannGhias???? Unvented battery under back seat, generator not alternator? I am that old.
Because there was no lawyer there to take you to court against VW for breathing in battery gas.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Because there was no lawyer there to take you to court against VW for breathing in battery gas.
OKAY, then what is the proper group battery to use, if I am willing to forego lawyrs and possible death?

Quick Reply: Optima Batteries and the HHR update