General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Possible mis-diagnosis of Intermedient steering shaft rattle

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 06:03 PM

Possible mis-diagnosis of Intermedient steering shaft rattle

Well after calling my Chevrolet dealer and getting little encouragement to replace the defective shaft on my 2010 1LT without paying full bore because the warranty has expired with only 23,000 miles, I did a little more experimenting over the last few weeks.
The rattle really does sound like it is in the steering column and it is an almost perfect match for a replacement shaft candidate.
I have been grinding it around and around and made one last effort to convince me it was the in the column.
I found a good light graveled lightly traveled road and started the test. It did not take long before it started and as soon as it got steady I lightly turned to the right to put pressure in the gear box.
The rattle never changed a bit so I tried it to the left and it kept rattling without any change.
That made me think .... I wonder if it is just something loose rattling under the dash ??
So.... I came home and put the drivers seat all the way back and tried to get down and see up under the dash.
What a Bit-ch .... I ain't as flexible as I used to be.
So I started feeling around instead and WALAH !~!
I found what I think is a large flat plastic electrical connector positioned so that it was obviously loose and rattling. It also was sitting very near the steering knuckle very close to the steering shaft.
I tried to get a peak to see if I could Tie strap it into a solid position but I could not find an anchor point while feeling around that I could reach, so I wedged a suitable piece of flexible plastic material just the right thickness to hold it solid and firmly in place.

Test drive and "No Rattle" any more.....

Anybody with a dash rattle that sounds like the steering shaft may want to take a look in that area.
A cheap .20 cent fix for me.......

Silverfox
Old 10-01-2016, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Well done, I'll keep that in mind, my steering column has just started to rattle, again.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:58 PM
Technical Moderator

A zip tie comes with the PS motor kit to tie that wire out of the way.