General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Potential New HHR owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:12 AM

Potential New HHR owner

Hello everyone! So, recently the head gasket on my current car went and being it has 227,000 miles on it I figure it was worth looking into a new one.

I came across the GORGEOUS red 2009 HHR LT. Tonight my fiance and I are going to go test drive it. But I figure I would ask the professionals, aka you all, what I should keep an eye out for when looking at it. Because if everything goes right it may end up in my driveway

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:22 AM

Don't get me wrong...I love my HHR and I really enjoy driving it but there's no way I'd buy another one after the ignition recall thing. GM will be replacing these iginition switches and power steering on those models affected but I'm really thinking that the resell value on the Cobalts and HHRs are going to go down the toilet. If you plan to buy to keep and drive until the wheels fall off I'd say go for it...otherwise I'd honestly be scared to buy another one.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:32 AM

Good luck with the search and as stated, there is a current recall on the ignition switch along with the steering. After almost 8 years I can't complain too much about mine. Looks like I'll get a new ignition switch and have a lifetime warranty on the power steering motor. I'd be sure the recall is completed before purchasing though.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:38 AM

That's what I told my fiance. I wouldn't buy it til the recall is fixed. Plus, maybe it'll knock off a few grand. haha
Old 04-07-2014, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

Other than making sure the two recall items are attended to (ignition switch and the electric power steering motor) about the most common issues are related to just a few items:

- front suspension: sway bar links and sway bar bushings don't last forever, and sometimes will make some klunking noises - not expensive to fix

- thermostat: when they go, they jam open allowing the engine to cool too much and the temperature gauges blank out - GM has issued a redesigned one that sounds like it has addressed the problem - not expensive to fix if you do it yourself

- key fobs: two should come with the car - they to do not last forever and get flakey in their operation - inexpensive replacement keypads and housings are available at most auto parts stores

- Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid thingies on top of the engine: they sometimes go, resulting in the transmission shifting hard and lighting up the check engine light - not a big deal to replace in the driveway if one is handy with simple tools, and both of them can be replaced for ~$100

- flex pipe on the exhaust also does not last forever (like that on most vehicles), and sometimes allows the exhaust to leak - it's pretty easy to fix at almost any muffler shop

Those are the ones that come to mind - remember though that not everyone encounters those issues by any means.

Here is a link to some of the "common" or more frequent issues that we have seen here, with links to discussions on how to address the problems: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/list-common-problems-questions-related-links-38985/

It is very important to read the Owners Manual - the features in the car are quite numerous, and there are some special procedures to be followed (ie: jump starting the car for a dead battery has to be followed, else one can inadvertently blow the fuse for the electric steering motor). Manuals can be download from links here as well:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/online-owners-manual-3074/

Good luck on your search - oh, how many miles on the 2009 you have been looking at?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:45 AM
Premium Member

i asked about that power steering recall and its just a suggestion type recall (cant remember the word they used) only if you have issue with the power steering then they will only replace the motor and give you lifetime warranty, but you have to pay diagnosis fee for them to check it and then make a decision to replace it or not..is this true?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

No - didn't you read the Canada GM letter you received maybe two years ago when they announced the extended warranty for it in Canada?
Old 04-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

i get no letters from GM at all about any recalls..not sure why
Old 04-07-2014, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site Kayla.

If it's what you want and the test ride goes well, then hopefully you will be the proud new owner of a HHR.

These cars have their own little problems or issues. But ALL cars do. The HHR seems to be no better or worse than others makes. There is no such thing as the perfect, troublefree car.

As far as the recall, I wouldn't really worry over that. GM will fix the issue when the parts become available. Me, I still drive mine. If it does turn itself off(which I doubt), since I'm familiar with the problem, I figure I'm smart enough to just turn the key back to "ON'.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:59 AM

Welcome to the site Good luck with your potential new ride.

Quick Reply: Potential New HHR owner