General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Pre delivery inspection - what to check?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 06:36 AM

Pre delivery inspection - what to check?

Hey, did a search but couldn't find anything on the topic.

I'm picking up my HHR tonight and I'll have to go over the car before I clear the delivery. Other than the usual stuff, like paint, fit and finish, scuff marks and such, what should I specifically look for?

I haven't seen the car yet; it's coming from another dealer and likely sat in their lot for the last 6-7 months, and we've had an incredibly rainy fall.

I'm mostly worried about the passenger side water leak issue, so I'll make d@mn sure that I check for water stains on the carpet and funky smells.

The other thing is rotor corrosion, but it'll have wheel covers so it's hard to check.

Anything else vital that I'm missing? I'm looking for the nightmarish stuff that dealers can't seem to be able to fix. I guess I should also insist on a test drive.

Let's build a list; wouldn't that be useful?

Yves
Old 03-29-2007, 07:30 AM

Turn on the wipers front and back
Try the heat and air conditioning
Make sure the radio is working properly
Check all windows and sunroof operation
make sure hatchback is smooth operating
check all lights and turn signals
look close at the bottom edge of the tailgate edge just outside of the water plugs. mine has some bad paint areas right there.
have the dealer show you were the battery is in the back
have the dealer show you how all the controls work
make sure they fill the tank
make sure the antenea is on tight
I know most of these are common sense.... enjoy the ride!
Old 03-29-2007, 07:34 AM

Kick the tires!
Old 03-29-2007, 07:35 AM

Have them show you where all the fuses are inside the HHR and outside.
Push all fuses down, some may not be in all the way,
Yes fuses inside on the pass, side.
Enjoy
Old 03-29-2007, 07:36 AM
jx3

Check all fuses to make sure they are seated properly!! Esp. the ones under the hood.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:10 PM

Air Pressure...including the spare! Check fluids...oil, washer fluid, anti-freeze, brake fluid.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by hhrmajesty
Air Pressure...including the spare! Check fluids...oil, washer fluid, anti-freeze, brake fluid.
You are so very right on the air pressure check. I checked mine after I got it home and all the tires were at 24 lbs. I called the dealer and was told "Well most poeple like them soft, because it gives them a better ride". I guess safety isn't nearly as important as ride. Idiots!
If your new ride has been sitting around on a lot for quite some time, I'd ask them to replace the wiper blades before driving the car off the lot. Those OEM blades don't hold up very well when they are just sitting around in the sun. And, by all means take it for a drive. Your going to own it so give it a hard workout before you put out your hard earned money. On my test drive I found out that the dealer had swapped the 6 cd changer for a single cd unit. Just keep your eyes open and the salesman's mouth shut and you'll be just fine.

Regards,
Pat
Old 03-29-2007, 04:40 PM

I wasen't aware there was a water leak issue on the passenger side. Was their a bullitin out on it?
Good luck with your new ride, and keep us posted on how it ages.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:01 PM
Banned

Like everything else posted in the Tech Discussion, your mileage may vary on the supposed "common" problems.

Look over the car, if something doesn't seem right, point it out. Check all the lights, blinkers, horn, stereo, HVAC, seat adjusters, windows, mirrors, door handles, locks, and look under the hood. Locate the oil dipstick and take a look at the oil.

I find it hard to believe that the car would be sitting at another for 6 to 7 months. Even lot lizards usually get tossed within 45 to 60 days, less at a high volume lot.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:38 PM

One of the HHR's I test drove today had a build date of 7/06..it had been on the lot for quite a while! (Orange) Only 32 miles on it.

As far as the paint on the back hatch...it is different on each car but for the most part there is 2 places on the bottom of the hatch where the paint is a bit different from the rest of the hatch...on the Dark Silver one I drove it looked like a tiny glob of clearcoat..like where the nozzle had finished and left a bit behind...interestingly enough it has the same build date as SJSSK's HHR

Goose

Quick Reply: Pre delivery inspection - what to check?