General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Question about the back hatch

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 10:59 AM

Question about the back hatch

Hello group. I am thinking about getting a HHR for my next car. I use a wheelchair and I am tired of getting a mini-van. I would probably get in and out of the back of the car. I was wondering of the back hatch was able to open from inside of the car? Now I'm not talking power open and close like you see on some recent new luxury SUV's. Just able to pop it open to be able to lift it up from the inside like some of the older caravans. Thanks.

Dan McGarrigan
Old 06-20-2006, 11:14 AM

to chevyhhr.net

You will find this site is a wealth of information and a great group of knowledgeable folks.

In answer to your question, no...there is not a latch to open the rear liftgate inside the car. It has to be opened from the rear of the car. That is one of the first things I looked for on my HHR, as well as one for the gas door. Sure would be a nice feature...but unfortunately, is not available on the 2006 model.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:15 AM

Hi Dan! Welcome to the board. The HHR's rear hatch cannot be opened from inside. It requires someone outside to actuate the memberane switch located underneath the rear hatch beauty bar. Probably not what you wanted to hear...but that's how she works.

Hope it helps,
Old 06-20-2006, 11:20 AM

There's not an interior handle. There's a cover over an access hole of some sort in back hatch interior panel, but I don't know if there's some release inside it.
I don't believe that there's any way you could get a wheel chair lift, or ramp into the back of the HHR either. The powered chairs my father-in-law, or my father, used wouldn't be able to be loaded back there. If I'm remembering right, the opening is roughly 32" high, by 38" wide. But, it was a while back that I measured, and whatever it was, it wasn't wide enough to get a sheet of plywood in, so I didn't pursue it further. :)
Old 06-20-2006, 11:20 AM

Thanks
Old 06-20-2006, 02:05 PM

If you don't have a power chair I think it would not be hard for someone to wire a secondary switch and place it on the side window trim. All it would take is a momentary switch . Hit it and push on the hatch to get to go up.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:13 PM

This is actually interesting to hear from people who actually have theirs. Mine is still in transit. I asked the dealer if there was a way to open the rear hatch from inside and I was told there was an emergency release in the event the power for the touchpad ever failed. So have any of you ever found this? Or perhaps I have been mislead...I won't be impressed. I never actually looked for it in the HHRs on the lot and also did not bother to ask where since I figured it would be in the owners manual.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by nfboy
This is actually interesting to hear from people who actually have theirs. Mine is still in transit. I asked the dealer if there was a way to open the rear hatch from inside and I was told there was an emergency release in the event the power for the touchpad ever failed. So have any of you ever found this? Or perhaps I have been mislead...I won't be impressed. I never actually looked for it in the HHRs on the lot and also did not bother to ask where since I figured it would be in the owners manual.
Check out this multi-page thread (5 pages). It should answer any questions you have about this issue.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:27 AM

Hey Redstripe77,

There is a user on this site named Skatetheglobe you should PM him. He also has a wheelchair and he never complains about hauling it with the HHR. I do belive that he mentioned that he has plenty of room in the back including the chair.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:45 AM

Good post SIHHR! We haven't heard from STG for a while - he would be an excellent person to ask about this.

Where are you STG??