General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Question about cabin air filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 07:16 AM

Question about cabin air filter

I did a search which turned up 20 million posts on changing it and prices but I couldn't find an answer to this question:

Does the cabin air filter filter reciculating air?

The PO of my '06 was a smoker so I replaced the filter with a charcoal version hoping it would remove some of the stale air smell.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:48 AM
Deceased

Yes it does, the cabin air filter always filters cabin air.

In Recirculation mode, you're just closing off the fresh air intake and running the air already in the vehicle through a closed loop, filter included.

While I've heard that the charcoal filters can help remove smoke odors, you'll also want to give the interior a thorough cleaning. Seats, carpet, headliner, the works.

Cigarette smoke is pervasive and very good at penetrating upholstery and other porous surfaces.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Czechman
I did a search which turned up 20 million posts on changing it and prices but I couldn't find an answer to this question:

Does the cabin air filter filter reciculating air?

The PO of my '06 was a smoker so I replaced the filter with a charcoal version hoping it would remove some of the stale air smell.

Although it won't completely resolve the issue.. if you garage your car, open at least the 2 front windows on a regular basis. Every little bit helps.

I agree with 843 on doing as good of a cleaning job as reasonably possible.

If you look at a window that has never been cleaned in a smokers car you will see why that is neccessary.

PS... Thats how the smokers lungs look too !!

SF

Last edited by Silverfox; 10-24-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:50 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. It's the ball-and-chain's car and she smokes too but with the window open in the car and never in the house. I was just more curious about the recirculation thing than anything else.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:16 PM

When in "recirculate" mode the A/C is always on, even if the light is not on.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
When in "recirculate" mode the A/C is always on, even if the light is not on.
AH HA .... That explains why I can't figure out why the rpm slightly drops and you feel the system running at idle with no indication the AC is running.
I have wondered about that as it has been the same on all 6 HHR's I have owned.
Thanks for the info as I now won't be concernd anymore.
SF
Old 10-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

After you clean the interior really good.
Wrap a couple Bounce dryer sheets around your cabin filter and then install it. Also throw a couple sheets under the front seats.
That should help knock down some of the smell.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
AH HA .... That explains why I can't figure out why the rpm slightly drops and you feel the system running at idle with no indication the AC is running.
I have wondered about that as it has been the same on all 6 HHR's I have owned.
Thanks for the info as I now won't be concernd anymore.
SF
It's in the Owner Manual. It also always runs if the defrost is on in either positition.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

I have a friend that purchased a used Corvette about 8 months ago. The previous owner was a pervasive smoker(he paid her what the dealer was offering in trade for a new purchase). He tried a number of different cleaners and associated liquids, with limited success. After several months the odor was still there (and really not tolerable, IMO). He then purchased a reasonably expensive ozone projector made for the explicit purpose of eliminating odors in vehicles (his local ServPro agency recommended it). Within 3 days of installing it in the car and parking in his garage (AC power), the odors were completely gone.

He and I went for a cruise a couple weeks back and the car still smells fresh and new.

Oh, forgot to say....acording to him, the same unit is used to remove dead body odors from vehicles.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Premium Member

perfect for the Mafia

Quick Reply: Question about cabin air filter