General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

A question about car problems in general

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:19 AM

A question about car problems in general

The question I have regards HHRs with problems that just can't seem to be fixed right (this question could apply to any car, really). You can read about it on the forum all the time. For example, warped rotors, or steering wheel rattles, or another recurring problem that shows up on the forum. I'm curious as to why some of these problems keep coming up for some people, when the HHR is basically a solid design. Sure, I've had a few problems, but all were minor or were fixed. Most cars don't have serious recurring problems, but the ones that do interest me.

Is it bad batches of parts being used on the assembly line? If so, why can't the service Dept. replace the bad part and fix it? Seems you hear all the time that they will replace a part and the problem isn't fixed, such as warped rotors. Mine have never done this, but others have, I read. If they were bad from the factory why don't replacements fix the problem? Playing devil's advocate, do some people reporting problems on the forum, that can never seem to be fixed, treat their cars like crap (no they would never admit it here)?

But it applies to any problem you read about that can't seem to be fixed by the service dept.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Banned

my 2006 hhr:

bad wheel bearing at 20k
Electrical problems galore 1k to 50k
Rotors warped, replaced 3 times
sunroof issues multiple times
front struts shot, 40k
and so on

my brand new hhr ss
electrical problems, 5oo miles
electrical problems 800 miles
electrical problems 1500 miles
electrical problems 3000 miles
sunroof problems 4000 miles
issues with the xm radio 50 miles
issues with the entire receiver 150 miles
issues with the car not starting 1500 miles
issues with the delaership ruining the front bumper when it had to be towed 1500 miles
issues with the dealership "wash and detail" with what appeared to be a brillo pad 4000 miles
issues with the dealership adding a door ding to the car 4000 miles
more issues with the sunroof 2 days ago

Yep, chevy where quality is job none.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:58 AM

Re-occurring problems are the result of bad design. It all starts at the drawing board. If the design is solid, there are no problems. Take a warped rotor for example. You could change the thickness of the rotor or some other design change like that. But when you change the rotor, you also might have to change (re-design) all the other parts that go around it. Caliper, brake lines, wheel? It's easier (& cheaper warranty-wise) for the dealer to just replace the rotor. The MFG should step-up & re-design the vehicle so that the next year model doesn't have the warped rotor problem, but they often do not. If people were getting killed because of warped rotors, then I believe they would do something about it. Look at the Ford Explorer how it's changed rear suspension design to prevent roll-overs even though the problem may have been with the tires. Public perception/outcry forced Ford to change (at great expense). If you dont fix it, they wont buy it!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by 06AmethystHHR
my 2006 hhr:

bad wheel bearing at 20k
Electrical problems galore 1k to 50k
Rotors warped, replaced 3 times...
I understand, and I am sorry for your issues, but I have a 2006 and have had none of those problems, which goes back to my question. Why is a certain group of owners having them and not others? It's all the same parts on the same assembly line, isn't it? Why does one collection of parts put together to make a car have so many problems, and another one from the same assembly line does not? I don't believe in luck, so there must be a logical explanation for these differences between vehicles.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by HHR_style
Re-occurring problems are the result of bad design.
A bad design would affect all the cars from the assembly line. Clearly this is not the case, because I would venture to say most people are satisfied with their HHR. Don't you mainly hear about problems on forums like this one? What is your explanation as to why the bad design theory doesn't affect all the HHRs the same way, as it should with interchangeable parts. Bad parts are bad parts, and bad designs are bad designs in every car from the line.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by MikeX
Why is a certain group of owners having them and not others? It's all the same parts on the same assembly line, isn't it?
I have a theory on that.

Granted, some problems are just that, problems. But some i think are the problems that come on by the driver and the way they drive or where they live. I can honestly say that since my move last summer to the Atlanta area, I can tell a differance in my brakes. I know I'm harder on them here. I could take it in and have them turn the rotors, but that is not the answer for me, that makes them thinner and if I have a slight shake now, that will only come back again, sooner with thinner rotors. Car's fault, nope, my driving in the environment I drive in. I could take it easier, but I don't. I'm going to make sure they are torqued right and if it gets worse, replace the rotors myself.

Once again, my theory..... YMMV.....
Old 06-24-2009, 09:14 AM

[QUOTE=MikeX;392095]What is your explanation as to why the bad design theory doesn't affect all the HHRs the same way, as it should with interchangeable parts.QUOTE]I'm no expert. Just giving opinions here but
I would say that everybody drives differently & in different conditions. I think you are right in that some people take care of their car (protect their investment) & others do not. This may lead to problems for some & not for others. Another example: problems with HHR's in the southeast may not ever occur in the north. We know that high humidity causes certain problems with metal parts. If you dont have high humidity, you dont have the associated problems. Who knows?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
I have a theory on that.

Granted, some problems are just that, problems. But some i think are the problems that come on by the driver and the way they drive or where they live.
That has to be a big part of it - look at this thread just posted this morning. This person is basically satisfied with the HHR.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/free-ride-almost-over-24171/

It goes directly to my point - all the cars are made of the same interchangeable parts. If there is a bad design it will show on all vehicles essentially the same way. If only groups of parts are bad, then replacing them will fix the problem. If neither is the case, and the same problem keeps recurring with the same vehicle, it must be either ignorant technicians not reparing it properly, the driver, or the environment where the driver lives.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:19 AM

[QUOTE=HHR_style;392104]
What is your explanation as to why the bad design theory doesn't affect all the HHRs the same way, as it should with interchangeable parts.QUOTE]I'm no expert. Just giving opinions here but
I would say that everybody drives differently & in different conditions. I think you are right in that some people take care of their car (protect their investment) & others do not. This may lead to problems for some & not for others. Another example: problems with HHR's in the southeast may not ever occur in the north. We know that high humidity causes certain problems with metal parts. If you dont have high humidity, you dont have the associated problems. Who knows?
Off topic....

I'll be in the Hendersonville area July 4th weekend, planning on taking the HHR this trip, honk if you see me drive by.....

Back on topic.....
Old 06-24-2009, 09:20 AM

That has to be a big part of it - look at this thread just posted this morning. This person is basically satisfied with the HHR.
That's my thread......

Quick Reply: A question about car problems in general