General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Radar Detector?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 01:10 PM

Lightbulb Radar Detector?

I am going to be taking a massive road trip in July and am looking for a good radar detector that wont break the bank. Any suggestions?

Also, if i were to want to hard wire this in, so i dont have to use my cigarette light socket the whole time, what would be the best way of going about it?

PS---The trip is from CO to NoCal then to Socal, then to AZ. Maybe i can meet up with some of youCali Members and AZ Members then. I want to try and let this beast loose on the open road!

Last edited by outlandishhhr; 01-16-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:55 PM

Stay out of Canada...they're illegal here!!
Old 01-16-2009, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cokeybill
Even though some of them are made here!
Old 01-16-2009, 02:41 PM

I use my speedometer and cruise control, then keep within the posted limits. That saves me the need to spend money on a radar/laser detector and spending money for any speeding tickets that I could get. On long drives, I may average 60 mph-65 mph and adust my driving time to ~10 hours or so and 600 miles. One speeding ticket you can kiss off 30-45 minutes on your trip.

Remember, you'll get what you pay for, a cheap detector may not be much help when they use instant laser on you. Once the detector sees it, you've been nailed.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cokeybill
As much as my wife and I would like to go up there, we are saving that trip till we get our passports. Might have to ask you about places to go and see when we get up there!

Old Lar, Do you Drive 60-65 in the fast lane?

Old 01-16-2009, 05:11 PM

For keyed power...check this post...---> https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...witched&page=4

Cajun / Al
Old 01-16-2009, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cajun
For keyed power...check this post...---> https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...witched&page=4

Cajun / Al
Thanks Cajun, now all i have to do is find a radar detector.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:44 PM

No..I stay in the right lane, watching others fly by, then jam on their brakes as the left lane has backed up with one tractor trailer trying to pass another tractor trailer going 2 miles an hour slower. That is usually good for a mile or so rolling roadblock. ( God forbid there is a hill on that stretch of road, then the roadblock is for several miles) As I've gotten older, I don't care for the race track style of driving on the interstates. I'll drive for hours right around the speed limit passing a few who cruise the right lane at slower than my speed.

With the HHR's cruising range of 400 mile +, I only have to stop for a food or bladder break, once or twice a day.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:56 PM

I here Whistler is pretty good and not bad priced, but for a little more money Valentine 1 is the best, they will even pay your ticket if the radar detector doesn't go off
Old 01-16-2009, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by outlandishhhr
I am going to be taking a massive road trip in July and am looking for a good radar detector that wont break the bank. Any suggestions?

Also, if i were to want to hard wire this in, so i dont have to use my cigarette light socket the whole time, what would be the best way of going about it?

PS---The trip is from CO to NoCal then to Socal, then to AZ. Maybe i can meet up with some of youCali Members and AZ Members then. I want to try and let this beast loose on the open road!
Many states, detectors are illegal. I would check the states you are driving through and to. Buy a detector and getting a ticket and it seized may not be worth it. I won't hard wire it just for that reason.

Quick Reply: Radar Detector?