General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Re-circulating vs. AC

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 04:51 PM

Re-circulating vs. AC

So...this may be a dumb question, but (I know - there's never a dumb question)....when I am running just the recirculating air without pushing the AC button it is almost COLDER than when I have the AC on. Is the AC actually running when just the recirc. is going? I'm trying to figure if I will be saving myself gas mileage by just running the recirc. without the AC or if it is basically the same thing. Going on our first long road trip with the new HHR (Sacramento - Palm Springs area) and as it has been well over 100 here, not to mention what it will be like going across the desert in San Bernardino, I dont want to put too much extra stress on it. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2006, 05:04 PM

So...this may be a dumb question, but (I know - there's never a dumb question)....when I am running just the recirculating air without pushing the AC button it is almost COLDER than when I have the AC on. Is the AC actually running when just the recirc. is going? I'm trying to figure if I will be saving myself gas mileage by just running the recirc. without the AC or if it is basically the same thing. Going on our first long road trip with the new HHR (Sacramento - Palm Springs area) and as it has been well over 100 here, not to mention what it will be like going across the desert in San Bernardino, I dont want to put too much extra stress on it. Thanks!

Teddi

Here is a quote from an earlier thread:

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
Here's what I'm peeved about (from manual):

(Recirculate Button ): Press this button to prevent outside air and odors from entering your vehicle or to help heat or cool the air inside your vehicle more quickly. An indicator light above the symbol will come on in this mode. The air conditioning compressor also comes on. This mode is not available for floor, defog and defrost modes. When the recirculation button is pressed, the recirculation indicator light will flash five times and outside air will be delivered. Operation in this mode during periods of high humidity and cool outside temperatures may result in increased window fogging. If window fogging is experienced, select the defrost mode.

(A/C Button): Press this button to turn the air conditioning system on or off. When this button is pressed, an indicator light below the symbol will come on to let you know the air conditioning is activated.

Basically, you cannot use recirc without the Air being on. Even though the blue A/C light is not illuminated, the A/C comopressor is still running. Add to that, everytime you start the car it defaults to outside air (hot here in CA), and you find the need to run the A/C always just to cool the car down. Also, if you pull off the freeway to get gas and jump back on, better ounch that "recirc" button or your HHR will be filled with noxious fumes after a mile or so. Recirc is a must out here.

I prefer the option of cooling the car down, then switching the compressor off (*as I can in my other cars), and recirculating the cool and clean air. Once the car heats up, a touch on the A/C button will begin the cooling action again.

End of rant.

(*Hey, maybe we can design a A/C control override with programmable thermostat controls! New mod... )

it is from this thread https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...t=Conditioning
Old 07-17-2006, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by TeddiHHR
Hello...and to chevyhhr.net. We look forward to hearing more about you and your HHR.

We've had several discussions on this matter and I find that THIS thread was the most informative. Once you get past some of our silliness, you'll find some very good information there. Hope this helps.