General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Recall and tsb numbers

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by R CA HHR
does anyone have the TSB number for the steering column clunking, I'm going to be taking mine in today for this noise and don't want them to just try to brush my off. I spoke to a guy in service and he said that the intermediate shaft problems are most common on the impalas and something else but not yet on the HHRs, I guess Mine will be the first in this area. I'll keep ya posted.

TSB # 05-02-32-005C Steering Wheel "clunk"...Cobalt, HHR.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:24 PM

thank you,
I just got back and they heard the clunk and still don't think its the steering shaft problem, but they will soon find out. Also have them looking at a problem withthe remote start not starting with in 3, 4,5 seconds and then it will die right aftr it starts sometimes. I doubt they will find that problem because its only like once a week that it happens and I use my remote start everytime I start my HHR, almost everytime.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:12 PM

Hmm? We were backing out of a parking space at Costco yesterday afternoon and heard a clunk for the first time, at first we thought we hit something, but that wasn't the case, so it was something in the car that did it.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:38 PM

Okay, after telling my they do not replace the whole sterring column, the The dealer took a look at the car and called to tell me they are going to replace the whole steering column, ha ha ha. Why don't they listen.
also they updated the comp or downloaded something to fix the start and die problem with the remote start. Funny thing is that it seems it steer easier now since I've picked it up. They have not replaced the column yet cause they need to order it, being done on Wednesday. Is the sterring upgradable somehow and ran by the computer. I know it is electric assist steering and speed adjusts it in some way, but could it be turning easier with just a download thing. One more thing, do these cars have lo-jack, is that what they are useing to program the computers, if so does that work along with the anti theift device so they can locate the car if its stolen????
Old 06-11-2007, 08:46 PM

Good idea to let members know what are supposed to be fixed under warranty

Why don't you ask Pisttburgh HHR the guy who found for us our HHR's Birthday, i think he's working in a GM dealer and could get fresh info on TSB or other recall for us.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by R CA HHR
Okay, after telling my they do not replace the whole sterring column, the The dealer took a look at the car and called to tell me they are going to replace the whole steering column, ha ha ha. Why don't they listen.
also they updated the comp or downloaded something to fix the start and die problem with the remote start. Funny thing is that it seems it steer easier now since I've picked it up. They have not replaced the column yet cause they need to order it, being done on Wednesday. Is the sterring upgradable somehow and ran by the computer. I know it is electric assist steering and speed adjusts it in some way, but could it be turning easier with just a download thing. One more thing, do these cars have lo-jack, is that what they are useing to program the computers, if so does that work along with the anti theift device so they can locate the car if its stolen????
For the TSB I provided you, the text indicates the problem is with the intermediate shaft. It would require heavy lubrication as a primary fix. If that does not work, the shaft is to be replaced.

After that .......?????????
Old 06-12-2007, 12:38 AM

they stated that the re lube was sort of a band aid, and there was no longevity to that so now they just swap out the whole unit and call it done. The computer work and the culomn are both covered under manufactor warranty and all I'm paying for is the rotate and rebalance I had done while it was already in the shop. i let you know how it goes when they do the work.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dan's HHR
Good idea to let members know what are supposed to be fixed under warranty
Anything that goes wrong in the warranty period is fixed under warranty. TSBs are just targeted direction to GM techs on what the recommended fix is to a common issue.