General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:50 PM

Remote Start

I bought my first HHR about a month ago. It is a 2008 LT.

There was some confusion over keys and fobs at the dealer. My fob certainly works with my car, but it has no remote start buttons on it. On the other hand, my DIC asks me if I want remote start enabled, or disabled. Would it do that, if there was no such capability?

How do I know if my HHR has remote start capability? I will buy an aftermarket fob with those buttons.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:00 PM

If you have the remote request, you have remote start, period. Get a fob cover with the button and swap the guts, that's what I did. The contacts are in the internals of all fobs, just not the external buttons. If your fob is programmed to your car's vin, then swapping the cover to one with the start button is all you need to do.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:07 PM

When the RVS button wore out on my '06 I just hit "lock" and then "lock" and the "panic" button at the same time. Started every time.

You might try that until you get another FOB.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:56 PM

Skyeglen, I was hoping your idea would work. It would confirm that I have remote start. After enabling remote start in the DIC, I followed the steps. She honked at me, and that was it. Will go over it again later.

I'm with you Randy. The DIC does not ask me about anything else that isn't in the car. Remote start must be in there. Where is the proper fob? I wonder if new HHRs come with two fobs, one with remote start, and one without. And I ended up with the latter.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:45 PM

If your fob unlocks the door it will start the car, you just don't have a button to push, you just need a skin/shell whatever you want to call it with the Button. The internals are all the same regardless. All guts have the contacts for lock/unlock/trunk or hatch/start, it just doesn't have the visible button. I got mine from a friend that owns a used car dealership, it has the hatch release button that of course is useless on an HHR.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:53 PM

You need a cover like this for your internals to go in.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:55 PM

What is the point of remote start?

Idling actually harms the engine...

http://thestar.blogs.com/kenzie/2008...ven-get-m.html

First, you are obviously burning infinite litres of fuel per kilometer (it seems worse to say zero miles per gallon). Even if gasoline is now back below a buck a litre, who can afford to waste it?

Second, your car – like you – warms up best when it is under load. You don’t prepare for your workout by wiggling your fingers; you put a little bit of stress on those muscles to get them into peak shape.

Ditto your car - especially your catalytic converter, a critical component in cleaning your car’s exhaust. It needs to warm up quickly to work properly; let your car idle and you’re just spewing pollutants into the atmosphere.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Luister

How do I know if my HHR has remote start capability? I will buy an aftermarket fob with those buttons.
If you have AP3 option code then it has remote start. Check the label in your glove box.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:21 PM

If the car was a former rental it may have been sold without AP3. check out this thread
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/how-add-gm-remote-start-without-option-ap3-28551/ for info on getting it back.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Luister
I bought my first HHR about a month ago. It is a 2008 LT.

There was some confusion over keys and fobs at the dealer. My fob certainly works with my car, but it has no remote start buttons on it. On the other hand, my DIC asks me if I want remote start enabled, or disabled. Would it do that, if there was no such capability?
Yes.

Quick Reply: Remote Start