General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Remote start

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 12:35 PM
Premium Member

Remote start

Found a HHR at the junk yard with the hood latch wire. Is there something I can take from this car to enable remote start?
Old 02-21-2021, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Does you cat have AP3 in the RPO code sheet in the glove box? If not then your BCM is not programmed for RS
Old 02-21-2021, 12:54 PM

He has a 2010, AP# does not apply to models after 2009. And it does not mean the same thing in every year. It really only means anything in 2008 models.
2010-2011 RVS was an option and the GM response is that it can not be added after factory.

This is unexplored territory. If you have the time and expertise, you might be able to just take the hood latch & harness, ECM, BCM and RCDLR and switch them one at a time to see if just one would do it, then do combinations to see if 2 would do it then all 3 to see if that would do it. Some programming might be needed.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:36 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Does you cat have AP3 in the RPO code sheet in the glove box? If not then your BCM is not programmed for RS
I read the last post in the locked thread that 2010 basically will not have anything set up for it. Even though my key fob has ALL the buttons on the board and it was a rental car previous to my ownership.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by donbrew
He has a 2010, AP# does not apply to models after 2009. And it does not mean the same thing in every year. It really only means anything in 2008 models.
2010-2011 RVS was an option and the GM response is that it can not be added after factory.

This is unexplored territory. If you have the time and expertise, you might be able to just take the hood latch & harness, ECM, BCM and RCDLR and switch them one at a time to see if just one would do it, then do combinations to see if 2 would do it then all 3 to see if that would do it. Some programming might be needed.
I assume I can just bypass the hood latch with the purple wire grounding method?

Where are the other units located, and any idea on difficulty of removal? I've taken nearly every panel inside the car off already. I would be stuck at the programming step though. Would I be able to just swap a unit back if it didn't let me start the car at all? I don't wanna "brick" my car Lol.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:41 PM
Premium Member

Also is it 100% that a 2010 LT that was a rental, and has all buttons on the board of the key fob (only 3 on the case to press) will not have anything installed related to it?
Old 02-21-2021, 05:39 PM

Buttons on the fob are irrelevant. The RVS button is just a combination of "lock" and "panic". The factory supplied boards are all the same. A fob with extra buttons will work, just nothing connected to the button. I had a 6 button fob from a Terraza on mine, but did not have a trunk or extra doors.

Like I said; uncharted territory, monsters beyond, don't know, experiment for your self. RCDLR is under the bump in the headliner by the mirror BCM is the inside fuse box, ECM under the hood in front of the fuse box. The latch switch is actually 2 switches one is NO the other is NC both go to ground, the relative signals are "closed" and "not open". Now you know more than anybody else.

There are ways to add RVS with after market modules, you are on your own there, too. Nobody here has shared any experience.

The how to add remote start thread was closed because it got so long that nobody bothered to read it and continued asking the same questions over and over. I summarized all of the repeat questions with answers in the final post, hoping that the lazy would either read the first or the last post. If it is not in that thread then nobody has the answer. (sounds like a quote from the book of Ecclesiastes. "there is nothing new under the sun")

Keep records and pix write a how to.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:50 AM
Administrator

My 2011 2LT is a former Hertz rental car, no remote start. No hood latch switch wired up. I still start it the old fashioned hot rod way, the ignition key in the ignition switch. I do miss the remote start, Oldblue had that option.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:47 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by donbrew
Buttons on the fob are irrelevant. The RVS button is just a combination of "lock" and "panic". The factory supplied boards are all the same. A fob with extra buttons will work, just nothing connected to the button. I had a 6 button fob from a Terraza on mine, but did not have a trunk or extra doors.

Like I said; uncharted territory, monsters beyond, don't know, experiment for your self. RCDLR is under the bump in the headliner by the mirror BCM is the inside fuse box, ECM under the hood in front of the fuse box. The latch switch is actually 2 switches one is NO the other is NC both go to ground, the relative signals are "closed" and "not open". Now you know more than anybody else.

There are ways to add RVS with after market modules, you are on your own there, too. Nobody here has shared any experience.

The how to add remote start thread was closed because it got so long that nobody bothered to read it and continued asking the same questions over and over. I summarized all of the repeat questions with answers in the final post, hoping that the lazy would either read the first or the last post. If it is not in that thread then nobody has the answer. (sounds like a quote from the book of Ecclesiastes. "there is nothing new under the sun")

Keep records and pix write a how to.
In all honesty, I can probably ad an aftermarket remote start if I wanted to. But I haven't really found the need. It IS a lot of work and involves tapping into a lot of existing stuff. And the good ones that I like (1 mile range, 2 way alert, nice screen, rechargeable remote etc) are too expensive to justify it. But sense no one has posted a video or write up on how to wire up a remote start (even a cheap one) I may find an older used or open box remote start and play around with it for fun and how-to purposes.

I had to actually search all those terms. I don't think the RCDLR is a top possibility. I do think the BCM is. Do I need to take the whole box out, with the fuses and everything? I think I attempted this a few years ago but got stuck on the red box with the 7mm (I think) bolt.

I want to go back to the junk yard and grab some more items. Definitely going to grab the hood latch.

Looks like you need to program the BCM for the PCM after swapping it. And some sale posts suggest one of them needs to be flashed or programmed to the VIN? Sounds like I will BRICK my car if I try to swap one unit. But it sounds like my car would still work if I swapped the originals back in? I need to do more research on this and programming them.

Old 02-26-2021, 01:14 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by antonio242je
The 2011 remote start issue is a challenge. I have a good friend who is a GM parts manager and he is researching this very issue for me. As soon as I get an answer I will post my findings. I expect to hear from him any day.
Did you get any answers?

Originally Posted by antonio242je
Here is what was explained to me.
If remote start is not factory installed, it cannot be modded after the fact.
Here's why.
Factory install includes the chip, similar to the one in the key. If the chip is not in the vehicle, installed at the factory in the control module, the car will not start.
GM stopped including the ignition chip after the 2010 model as standard, saving money I suppose.
You can get an alarm place to install remote start but it will cost you your extra key. The key has to be in a module installed by the alarm installer and remain in the car at all times for the car to start.
Just to have remote start installed, no alarm, with the module, I was quoted $240. That does not include the cost of a programmed key.
I hope this answers all of the questions about the reason the 2011 HHR cannot get factory remote start if it wasn't factory installed.
Where was the factory chip installed for the remote start in 2009 and prior vehicles? I was thinking of doing a BCM swap but now it sounds like that won't be of any use?

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
If it's not in the DIC, nobody has found a way to add it to a 2011.
Any idea if a BCM swap would do it?

Quick Reply: Remote start