General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Removal of Interior Vinyl dress up coatings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 10:24 AM

Removal of Interior Vinyl dress up coatings?

I just purchased a 2nd low mileage used 2011 HHR from a non GM dealer and as usual the Prep Dept. coated the Dash and all side Door panels etc with an Obnoxious clear shinny coating to dress up the interior vinyl. UGGG!!

Why they indiscriminantly do this blows my mind as it has a crappy sweet smell and emits fumes into the cabin air that gave my wife a head ache within 20 minutes.
Too late to cry over spilled milk but I would like some suggestions on what you think works best to use for Removal without doing damage/discoloring to the vinyl.

Will appreciate your input.
SF
Old 09-27-2013, 02:31 PM

I also recently purchased a low mileage 2011 and the Buick dealer I bought it from did the same thing, it will dissipate on it own in a week or two on its own if you can put up with it for that long. My sinuses are messed up so I have no sense of smell, it didn't bother me.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:19 PM

Try rubbing alcohol while imbibing some grain alcohol.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:10 PM

I agree, rubbing alcohol should work.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:27 PM

Try dishwashing detergent
Old 09-27-2013, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lawagz
I agree, rubbing alcohol should work.

I finally got a hold of the dealers Prep company and had a talk with the owner. He said in 15 years he has never had a complaint. HuH??
Maybe nobody but me cares enough to say something and check it out.

It's Armorall just as I thought.

I did take some 90% rubbing alcohol to the steering wheel just to see what would happen. I just quickly touched it lightly and had a clean paper towel to wipe it immediatly.
It did cut it but left it sticky/tacky until I rubbed it lightly with the paper towel.
It felt a little hairy when it got sticky but that is probably because it was the Armorall softening not the vinyl.
I might give Meguires Vinyl cleaner a shot before I go any further.
It's a touch and go when your testing for the right solution here.
Sure don't want to damage the Vinyl.
I contacted a high end Detail shop also and they were familiar with the issue.
They use a commercial product to clean and then a special non smelling conditioner to finish but they want $250 to do mine.
I'll wait till I see what I can do first.

SF
Old 09-27-2013, 06:06 PM

If you have a complaint with the delivered product, try complaining to the vendor?

I agree ArmorAll has a horrible feel to it, people just don't complain because it's shiny. You are not melting vinyl with alcohol! maybe with GOOF OFF (lighter fluid/dry cleaning solution) Vigorous scrubbing with alcohol would probably work (discrete test location advised).

Go to the local auto parts store and find out what the solvent is in Armor All, it should be on the contents label (the first listed component). That will remove it.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
If you have a complaint with the delivered product, try complaining to the vendor?

I agree ArmorAll has a horrible feel to it, people just don't complain because it's shiny. You are not melting vinyl with alcohol! maybe with GOOF OFF (lighter fluid/dry cleaning solution) Vigorous scrubbing with alcohol would probably work (discrete test location advised).

Go to the local auto parts store and find out what the solvent is in Armor All, it should be on the contents label (the first listed component). That will remove it.
Yah .. That makes sense. I'll go tomorrow and take a look.
Being in the boating business for many years I found many little tricks to defeat difficult problems.
Acetone and Alcohol were 2 of my regular tools. Just have to know when to use and when not to.
I had Laquer thinner too but didn't use as much.
My motto has always been when in doubt .. Proceed with Caution !!
SF
Old 09-27-2013, 09:38 PM

Acetone would be too much, I'm pretty sure. Depends on the particular composition of the specific bit of "plastic", PVC, ABS etc.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:35 PM
Deceased

Windex on a terry cloth towel has always worked fine for me when removing Armor-All and other pesky "protectants".

Quick Reply: Removal of Interior Vinyl dress up coatings?