General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

rev limeter

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 05:51 PM

I've had mine to 120+ before the tune, just shifted into "I", 115+ after tune by Tune Time.

RPMs were only around 5300 at 115mph after the tune!
Old 08-09-2007, 07:03 PM

So you're saying it went faster before the tune...than after? This may be a stupid question, but what's the point in that then.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
So you're saying it went faster before the tune...than after? This may be a stupid question, but what's the point in that then.
No, I said that's how fast I went. At 5300rpms at 115mph, I'm sure it would have gone MUCH higher than 120. Those are just the tops speeds I felt comfortable going at those times.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:09 PM

ok...gotcha...thanks for the clarification. Obviously having one of my blonde moments.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:08 PM

ok so what kind of shop can do this HP tune and what is the standard cost ( about). Does this remove the limiter or speed gov? does it give you more off the line or top end? What are the downfalls (besides getting tickets)? Is there someway of doing it myself? How is the tune affected by an aftermarket muffler or air intake? And my last question is how can I convince my wife we need it?
I know I have alot of questions but I like to know what I'm doing before I do it.
Thanks
Old 08-14-2007, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by R CA HHR
ok so what kind of shop can do this HP tune and what is the standard cost ( about). Does this remove the limiter or speed gov? does it give you more off the line or top end? What are the downfalls (besides getting tickets)? Is there someway of doing it myself? How is the tune affected by an aftermarket muffler or air intake? And my last question is how can I convince my wife we need it?
I know I have alot of questions but I like to know what I'm doing before I do it.
Thanks
1st: Yes it removed my limiter or speed gov. The person that did mine has an HHR 2.4 5 speed and has done 130! Though our speedometer only reads 120, his car was hooked up to lap top with program running to read tune and to make adjustments.
If you want more top end the tune can be adjusted to that, its all about what you are looking for in the tune. To do this yourself you would have to buy the license from the company. Not sure of cost check out http://hptuners.com
I had mine to be more aggressive in the mid range and top end. I have no Special intake or muffler. Its a sleeper, with nice firm shifts(mine is auto) and wonderful take off power. I am totallly satisfied. As for the wife, your on your own there bud! Got any more questions just ask, I will tell you what I know. P.S It runs about $400. bucks for just the tune.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:28 PM

Not sure but one of the supporting vendors may do tunes.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:33 PM

Jesse your a info stud! thanks
Now 400 is kinda steep, so maybe I'll be looking into this a bit later, i need my visor, side pipes, muffler, and, intake first.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by R CA HHR
Jesse your a info stud! thanks
Now 400 is kinda steep, so maybe I'll be looking into this a bit later, i need my visor, side pipes, muffler, and, intake first.
You may find it cheaper, but its was well worth it. Now I need to get me a rear anti sway bar and I am set!!!! By the way after I did mine I let the wife drive and she wondered why the car felt so much faster. No tickets yet, have to be careful here in Virginia with the new driving laws that were implimented July 1st! I still highly reccomend it.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:29 PM

Awesome, Jesse!!! The same guy tuned mine and I cannot say enough about the POWER of HP Tuners.

And.... no power reducing CGS hot air intake or restrictive IMCO T-924 muffler here either!!