General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Roof rack DIY revisited

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 11:00 AM

Roof rack DIY revisited

Hi all,
Have an 06 HHR with the factory installed roof rails.
I also have many attachments for bikes and kayaks that go with Thule rack systems.
The problem (for me) is the only option to use my attachments is to get the Thule 450 mounts. These mounts allow you to put the Thule crossbar onto the factory rails. This is a problem because it is difficult to find these mounts any less than $180. (yes I am a miser)

I read this thread : DIY Roof Rack install https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/diy-roof-rack-install-21088/

and this one for how to remove: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15361

So I have been looking for alternatives.
One option I have found is a roof rack made by Vantech.

This systems bolts to the roof in a similar manner that the factory rails mount. (The 2-bar system) So basically instead of the side rails, this system has two cross-bars.

The question that needs to be answered, (the reason for this post) is:
Are the bolts patterns the same dimensions?

Can someone send me a copy of the dimensions from a template please?

You see, the Vantech system is made to mount from scratch, and they cannot tell me if I take off the factory rails, if their mounts will bolt right up, or if I need to drill another hole.
If I can get the dimensions of the bolt pattern for the factory rails, I will send to them and have them compare.