General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Running Temp

Old 03-07-2019, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
Times 2 what Donbrew and PulpFriction stated. - and Oldblue is right IF you change the thermostat it is imperative that you use the correct AC Delco 131-158! 180 degree thermostat.

But please note, a 190 deg thermostat does not mean that the engine will run at 190 Deg at all times, nor does a 180 deg thermostat mean that the engine will run at 180 at all times.
ALL that it means, is that the thermostat will open at that temperature. With any thermostat the temperature will vary due to a multitude of various causes and conditions. 185 - 190 - 195 - are all within specs. It is VERY unlikely that there is a 190 deg thermostat in your engine for those reasons.

You need to quit over-thinking it, and ask yourself: does it overheat? (no), does the fan run a whole lot? (no), does the temp exceed 220 or over frequently? (no).

Should you replace the water pump? Why? Sorry, as Donbrew alludes to, we have been over this a lot of times, and the outcome is always the same. With one member it was even suggested he stop watching the digital temperature gauge as he was totally fixated on it, and worried himself to the max..

Well, I am not "overly worried" or "fixated", so I guess that I am OK. I asked the question simply because my. HHR seems, at least from the gauge, to run warmer than those of any of my friends' ; about ten degrees warmer under similar conditions, and I thought, being a relative HHR "newbie", that I would ask the experts. While appreciated, since your intentions were good, I really do not need "how it works" elemental explanations, I have been a member of the SAE for over forty years..

The reason I queried opinions about the water pump is because my car has 167 k on it and would much rather be safe than sorry. This vehicle will either go to one of my grandsons of become a second car for my wife - in either case I want to do what I can to keep it reliable, within reason.

I think I shall split the middle. I am going to acquire the correct water pump, belt, gaskets and thermostat (thanks, Old Blue!) and put them on the shelf so that I know that I have the right spares on hand when the failures do occur. I generally do this with oil filters, air filters, etc.

So, ease your minds. I am not driving along, nervously listening for a strange noise and waiting for the sky to fall. I am just an old semi-retired engineer with maybe too much time on his hands and maybe too little time left. Love the little car, BTW. My first domestic car that was not a "company car" in decades.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Ah, spares , perfect! I sometimes buy parts from members to ensure that they won’t end up in the trash , cause they didn’t sell.
But only parts that fit my 2007 2.2 LS.
Spare parts , these days, I let sit at the parts online warehouses, I can get a part over night.
I just sold a spare carb from my 1983 2.8 V6 GMC S15. The bill from GM back in 1989 was $183.75, CDN .
I sold it for $175.00, so, I lost money and no I don’t want to calculate the inflation, exchange rate or anything else into that .
I suppose I should have sold off my stuff just after I sold the truck back in 1998.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 03-07-2019, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member

Absolutely nothing wrong with collecting spares - that is for sure. I recently found a full set of front brake pads for my old 1978 Corolla on the shelf - I got rid of that car probably about 1988 or so. Sad to say, I put them right back on the shelf. So if anyone knows of someone local with a 78 Corolla...............................
Old 03-07-2019, 03:56 PM

Change the water pump if you want, but don't expect the behavior to change. If it does, maybe the pump was dying. When the car is standing still or going slowly, less air flows over the radiator. That's why it has an electric fan. Try parking and watch the temperature rise above 195. You'll probably notice it stops rising when the electric fan kicks on. Also try, while the temp is rising above 195, try turning on the air; the temp might very quickly drop, because turning on the air turns on the fan, I think. Pretty sure the air comes on when you turn the knob to a defrost setting, too.

This is how my HHR behaved from day 1, and has never overheated.

good luck.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by OldSwede
​​​​​​
My bad, sir. I was thinking of
​my wife 's Subaru Forester, which has such an indicator.
OldSwede- now I want a blue light for my HHR..............
Old 03-08-2019, 07:17 AM

Could some one please start a post on how to add the blue light? JK, I'm in a Friday kind of mood today lol.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:14 AM
Administrator

You need to go to KMart
Old 03-08-2019, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue

You need to go to KMart
K-marts are getting fewer and farther between these days.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Ok, let’s get back on track here.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:20 PM

Blue you started the joke.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Running Temp