General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Salvage value?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 06:13 PM

Salvage value?

last week my 2006 HHR LS got T-boned on rear drivers side door, did 360 landed in ditch.
frame looks a little...twisted. rear bumper off.front end no visible damage.
drivers door still opens, with difficulty.
no collision insurance.
has about 135000km on it. was in good condition though.
ANY idea what sort of salvage value we're looking at??
probably could get more out of it if parted out?
Old 01-30-2014, 07:04 PM

Salvage value lucky to get $500, if you can store it and wait parting out is a fine option. That is what the salvage yard will do to make $3000 profit.

T-Bone implies "not at fault" where would collision insurance come in to play? It is the other guy's insurance or your un-insured motorist coverage. Don't know nuthin' about Canadian insurance, but hard to believe there is not a "no-fault" clause.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:00 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident - glad to hear that, apparently, everyone in the HHR is OK. X2 for donbrew regarding insurance - here in the states if you're the one who gets hit it's the other persons headache - not yours - but I know less about Canadian car insurance than I do about Venusian maturity rituals ...

If you have the space and time part it out - and sue the living hell out of the person who hit you ... (understand, we graduate 5X more attorneys here in your neighbor to the south than we do graduate scientists or engineers combined)

Best of luck

Steve
Old 01-31-2014, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

I'm a little confused by the reasoning that since the OP got T-boned, that it's not his fault.

(not saying he did) but if he ran a light, stop sign etc. then he would most likely be faulted. Regardless of being the "hitter" or "hittee".

I've worked many wrecks over my 30 years in the Fire Dept. Working along side with the Police Depts., the accident scene talk usually involves discussing who was at fault.
The "who hit who" is usually not a determining factor. It's usually about who ran the light, who didn't yield, who had the right of way, etc.

P.S. HHR2014. Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear about the loss of your car.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:17 AM

If you were closer I'd pick up a bunch of parts, hood, doors, interior. Unfortunately shipping would cost a lot. Where are you in Quebec?
Old 02-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
I'm a little confused by the reasoning that since the OP got T-boned, that it's not his fault.

(not saying he did) but if he ran a light, stop sign etc. then he would most likely be faulted. Regardless of being the "hitter" or "hittee".

I've worked many wrecks over my 30 years in the Fire Dept. Working along side with the Police Depts., the accident scene talk usually involves discussing who was at fault.
The "who hit who" is usually not a determining factor. It's usually about who ran the light, who didn't yield, who had the right of way, etc.

P.S. HHR2014. Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear about the loss of your car.
Ding, Ding, Ding,

I was waiting "patiently" for someone to notice and comment on this. It seems it requires a voice of experience to provide the correct comment!! And based on my limited knowledge of traffic law, in many states, this is the correct answer.

I also noticed the OP has not returned to provide additional info......although he had returned after the original post, to the forum.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:09 PM

Quebec is a no fault province. If you don't buy collision insurance, you are not covered, no matter whose fault it is. Considering how cheap it is (my HHR's cost is something like 250 a year, on top of liability), I'm surprised that someone would skip it, unless they are really young or have an extremely bad driving record.

Yves
Old 02-04-2014, 12:26 AM

We are no fault in Ontario also. While I keep collision insurance on the hhr, I don't have it on my winter beater '97 cavalier and it saves me about 150 each month. I figure if it takes a big hit, the tow truck driver can have it.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:54 AM

"No Fault" means something totally different in Virginia. Here it means you don't have to worry about who is at fault, the insurance companies fight it out after yours pays out.

I just AssUmed when he said "got" t-boned the other guy did it.