General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

SEMA: Nissan Clones the HHR?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Banned

LOL! I'm not trying to argumentative. I've just never heard of a car being referred to as having no soul. I was seriously wondering what you meant by it. I probably should have phrased my question better. I'm figuring you mean it's kind of generic or something?
Old 11-01-2006, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
Christine will hunt you down for that comment.
OhOh, did someone mention "Christine"

Old 11-01-2006, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
LOL! I'm not trying to argumentative. I've just never heard of a car being referred to as having no soul. I was seriously wondering what you meant by it. I probably should have phrased my question better. I'm figuring you mean it's kind of generic or something?
Geez, where do I begin? What I mean by soul, in this instance is that the HHR definitely has an inspiration from the past that influenced how it was styled.
By soul, I mean the HHR's lines, it's bulging fenders, it's high hood, high roof, they are all stylistic elements that resonate within people who remember how cars used to look.
In me, this resonance evokes an emotion.

If you look at the definition of soul you could consider the dictionary's: (no 8.) The inspirer or moving spirit of some action, movement, etc.
I believe this connection with the past, this inspiration from the past, is what made the PT Cruiser the sales success that it is, and inspired the retro design of the HHR.

Now, when I look at this new Nissan concept from the Sema show...

I see none of that. No inspiration (or soul if you will) from the past. Typically ultra-modern. It's got some nice lines, but to me, it has no soul.

Does this answer your question? Perhaps it's b/c I'm 55 and grew up with the vehicles of the 30's, 40's and 50's in my childhood.
When I see an old car it brings back fond memories.
It gives me a sort of soulful feeling, and it's what attracts me to the HHR.
Am I the only one on here who feels this way?
Old 11-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Banned

Got ya. Thanks for the explanation. I dig retro vehicles but I guess I don't get quite the same feeling as some of you guys. To me they are modern cars ripping off styles of the past. That's not a bad thing. Like you said maybe it's an age difference thing or something. I grew up when late '70s and '80s cars were brand new. I grew up around classics so I have a passion for the old yet I embrace the new.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:02 PM

Now, when I look at this new Nissan concept from the Sema show...

I see none of that. No inspiration (or soul if you will) from the past. Typically ultra-modern. It's got some nice lines, but to me, it has no soul.

In Hot-Lanta, the Nissan, with some 22 Inch Spinners, would be a car with SOUL!!! HA!!

Vehicles are different for each person.

I definitely, enjoy my HHR, b/c it resembles an old Chevy, and I can modify, enjoy it like a Street Rod, (which I grew up with a Street Rodding father). I do think it is more a model of the PT, and the success they had with selling those.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by MOTRV8D
I tried to find some more pics of that Nissan concept but couldn't.
I would like to see what the front end looks like.
As far as it being competition for the HHR? Sort of, it's a small utility wagon but again, this car has no heritage and no soul like the HHR.
If that is a souped up Armada, which it looks like to me, That is a LARGE vehicle and not in the same weight/size class as the HHR. Which I still think is a wagon not an SUV od any sort, after all it is on a sedan platform.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:27 PM

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I love old cars.
I've had four of them since the late 70's (these are not my cars BTW, but they are similar to what I had).

1) 1954 Nash Ambassador Sedan.
Talk about huge. the back of the front seat went all the way down and the entire interior turned into a huge bed. Great for the drive-in theatre!

2) 1952 Plymouth Cranbrook sedan. A nice old car with plenty of torque. Three-on-the-three with no high end, but it would pull a tree stump.

3) 1946 Plymouth Special Deluxe Club Coupe. I restored it, but spent so much money on it I had to sell it.

4) My favorite, a 1953 Buick Super 2 door Hardtop. It was really nice and got soooo many compliments.

To me all of these cars had soul. They evoked pleasant emotions within me and almost everyone that I had contact with.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR

Found on the Jalopnik site. Seems Nissan wants to cash in on the market!

More news on this and many others when we get back from SEMA.

Take care all!

I'm off!
Its just a Nissan Armada people!! No HHR clone here!!
Old 11-01-2006, 05:41 PM

but it does have running boards!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:24 PM

So IT IS a panelized Armada!

hey MIKE, ummmm that's not an HHR clone!

they're so huge, compare interiors!

The Armada is GINORMOUS you could prolly park the HHR inside it!

Quick Reply: SEMA: Nissan Clones the HHR?