General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Share your purchase stories

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 07:23 PM

1) Fell in love with the looks of the HHR since I first saw one Sept 2005. I looked at it for 30 minutes in a parking lot. I was like a little kid in a toy store.

2) Everytime I saw a parked HHR, I would look for the owner and ask questions. Sometimes I would walk around a parked HHR for 10 or 15 minutes just looking at it. My kids thought I was crazy.

3) On a business trip to LA, Feb 2006, I rented an HHR. I fell in love. But I wanted some saftey features not available just yet.

4) When the 2007 HHR came out with the anti-lock brakes; I really wanted one.

5) In November of 2007, I joined this forum and asked questions....lots of questions.

6) I rented ah HHR for a week in November. I started Internet shopping in the greater DC area.

7) I played two dealers against each other and on Thursday, Dec 13, at 3 AM, I woke up and decided to buy a 2007 2LT HHR at Ourisman Chevrolet, Marlow Heights, MD...49 miles away from my home. (The closer dealer didn't have any 2LTs with the side air bags.)

8) On Friday night, December 14, 2007, I traded in my 2007 Honda Accord EX-L for a brand new 2007 Chevy 2LT HHR. The dealer put a good deal together although I didn't get what I wanted for my trade, but that was ok.

9) The HHR had sat on the lot for 6 months; the brakes had lot rot and the tailgate popped and seemed to be "off." The dealer installed brand new brakes, new tailgate pistons and re-aligned the tailgate. The brakes are perfect and the tailgate works very smoothly.

10) I had a rear sway bar installed last Saturday and the HHR really handles wonderfully. And today, once I broke 1000 miles, I really pushed it and the acceleration was excellent.

11) I hope and pray this wonderful car lasts a long time. My wife and kids hate it...that is a good thing...they don't ever want to drive it. THAT is fine with me!!

Peace,
Old 01-03-2008, 07:29 PM

My better half flipped and totaled my new Cavalier. Insurance and GAP covered the cost of the Cavy, and I came across a deal on the HHR. Just take up the notes. Fell in love with it the first day.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:32 PM

well i have a 2002 chevy silverado that has 36000 miles and a 2007 silverado HD that has 20000 miles. i love chevy's and allways will but the first time i saw an HHr i knew i would have one the style low to the ground the gangster look of the old. so after i payed off my 2002 chevy i called my sales man Zan
at Service Chevrolet in Lafayette La. I sayed Zan get me a HHr ready i am coming over, he said what color? i said silver! he said what options would you like? I said power everything and oyea a sun roof. he asked how long will it take you to get here? I asked how long do you need? He said 2 hours.
so we had lunch at chili's and went to get the new chevy. It was sitting right in front when i pulled up it was so fine the first thing i wanted to do was airbag it. Still will in time i love this cool disturbedride.

chuck
disturbedridez.com
Old 01-04-2008, 12:28 AM

My old ride bit the dust one day and decided to take the weekend to "Look" at possible cars. Second dealership I went to told me they just got a local trade in of an '06 HHR 2LT fully loaded with only 15k miles. The guy had just traded it for a Cobra Mustang GT500 ($51k) and they were going to his place to pick up the HHR and would be there in 45 minutes. Told the Sales Mgr. I had to go, wife was calling to meet up to go to other dealerships. Told him I would not buy a car until I came back and saw the HHR. Honestly, I had never really looked at them, usually went bigger. He said he could do around $16k on it. At one of the other dealers I saw an "06 HHR LT with 55k miles and no options so I let the salesman give me his pitch while I checked it out for future reference. I had done all my homework on Hondas and Jeeps only, don't like to go in blind. They were asking $13k for it, so that made me think more on the 2LT. At the end of the day I drove back to see 2LT and was taken by the difference in the two. It has all the options from safety package, leather heated seats, 2.4 DOHC HO, 17" chrome wheeles, bright chrome package,sunroof, sport suspension, luggage rails, running boards, fog lamps, and this guy babied this thing. After one test drive, and on a mountain backroad, I was hooked. Let the salesman sweat one day and he called and I drove out the next day for $16k after tax,tag, and title. The wife isn't getting this one, she stole my last new car. Purchase date Dec. 18, 2007.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:51 AM

Back in June '06, someone ran a stop sign and pulled out in front of my Toyota truck. I slammed on the brakes, but it had just finished raining and I ended up hitting his car from behind. Alas, my paid for truck was totalled. I enjoyed not having a car payment.
So, I got a PT Cruiser for a rental car for two weeks. We already had a week long vacation planned, so I took my laptop with me to do some research.
Now, I already had driven a rental HHR the previous year and really enjoyed it at the time and never a thought that I would end up owning one some day. The PT was a nice car, although I prefer the looks of the HHR more. Plus, the best highway mileage I got from the PT was 22mpg. Not good enough.
So, while on my week vacation, my research pointed me back to the HHR and I found used HHR close to home. We got back from vacation, turned in the PT and went to buy the HHR (in my fav color).
I have thoroughly enjoyed it ever since. It's a smooth ride with great mpg and big enough for my needs. I've already completed a couple of minor mods with more to come.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:45 PM

In August I saw my first HHR panel & got online & looked around at what they had at the local dealers . On Friday my wife & I decided to go out looking around looked at 4 panels & saw nothing I liked & the salesman said he had one more that someone had special ordered & when it arrived he couldn't finance it had alot of extras I saw it & it was love at first sight, made a deal & brought it home . I own 2 street rods & 5 other vehicles but my HHR is my favorite.

Last edited by gravett1; 01-06-2008 at 05:18 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:22 PM

This past September, I totalled my taurus. I had been sick of it, but was close to end of the note on it. Anyway, after I got out of the ER and into a rental I was on the hunt. Didn't know which way to go, but was sure it wasn't another taurus. boring as all hades. Anyway, after running the gamet of lots, I decided to check out the chevy dealer minutes from my house. I had my daughter with me and we walked the lot. I spotted a cpl HHR's and both Lili and I really liked the look. Sales guy came out and I made appt to test drive one. Next eve after work I did so. First has 2.2L and while it drove generally nice, I was thinking 'eh-h-h-h, needs more power!' So he puts me in a 2.4 and even though it's a slight jump it was enough for me. None of the ones on the lot were a match, so we went inside to do a search. He found one that worked for me. I said I'll think on it and contacted another dealer I had been working with to look at what they had for HHRs. Played them off against each other and opted to go with closer one that came in bottom line just a tad more. Didn't have to drive a bunch extra to get to it and the rental could be dropped off right there. Put some cabbage down on the 07 in Imperial Blue, 2.4 with chrome pkg, fogs, 6-disk chgr. The rest is history.
Agree totally that the HHR lines are wicked more attractive than the PT.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:40 AM

To make a long story as short as possible. I saw the orange hhr in 2006 and told my wife I love the look and color of tht car. On Jan. 2007 I told my wife lets go look at the Nissan Versa. She wanted a new car and liked the look of the Versa. We took it for a test drive. It sucked. According to my wife after the drive. So I said lets check out The HHR's so we did. Drove thru the back lot and saw 7 of them. Took one for a test drive hated it. It was black with leather and 20" wheels and a loud exhaust. I told the salesman I did not like leather seats and the sound was too loud. So, we went to a different storage lot and saw the orange ones. One had leather and the other was a stick shift. My wife cannot drive stick. Salesman said lets go back to the showroom and look on the computer for one. On the showroom floor was an orange 07 HHHR, no leather and an automatic, with 20" wheels and lowering kit. They made us a good deal. My wife said why don"t I get the new car and she would keep her old one as long as we paint the old one. She said "I know how you love that HHR" . So, We have a 07 HHR with 20" chrome Amer racing wheels and lowering kit, I also replaced stock speakers for Infiniti Speakers, a little matching paint here and there to give it that personalized touch, some gold stripping, and lettering,two pcs front end cover and thats my story so far. I will add a few other touches later when I have more money. But, they will be things that no one else has thought of ! P.S. We did repaint my wifes car. But, now she likes the Saturn Vue. Here we go again!!!!!!!
Old 01-05-2008, 09:55 AM

Spring of 2005: Took Indie, my (indigo blue) 1999 S10 for servicing at the large Chevy dealership in Oakland, CA--heater had stopped working and if you've ever lived in the bay area, you need the defrost in July!

Anyhow, I was stopped at the light in front of the new cars, looked over and my jaw dropped. It was one of those rare sunny days and there in all its shiny glory in front--a black HHR, WOW was all I could say!

As soon as I got home, fired up the laptop and started researching...I was hooked in; this was going to be my next car--for 2 years, I built and rebuilt that car to MY specifications. (Imperial blue LT2, chrome, sunroof, rails, leather seats)

On my b-day of 06, told my sister I WILL buy my new car for my b-day in 07 (Labor Day weekend). In mid-August, I contacted our dealer at Selman Chevrolet and gave him a list of color preferences & what I wanted. (btw, I had never even SAT in one let alone driven it--I just wanted it.)

God bless Mike, he looked EVERYWHERE for an ImpBlu LT2. All the time I kept looking at the loaded Black one they had out front on the pedestal, but my sister kept saying no to the black, too dirty, etc...but even she agreed it looked VERY nice.

After just missing getting a dark silver LT2 from another dealer, asked Mike to hold the black one (4th choice color), we were coming in...by the time I got there, he had it out and ready for me. Showed me how to use the remote start, popped open the sunroof, and we took it for a spin. Oh no, there was NO question this was MINE. 90 minutes and a GREAT deal later ($ down, GM points, fleet price), I had my Blackie with every option except OnStar or the 6-cd changer (one cd is enough for me). Dealer add on's: the PAL attachment, tinted front windows, premium mats, HHR storage container in back (they gave me this), mudflaps (I took off the nice 20" rims they had on it--too flashy for me and I loved the 'star' shaped ones).

I LOVE my car and look for any excuse to go driving...I love the looks and comments I get and just how dang COOL it looks

I still have my Indie--couldn't part with my trusty S10! (Chevy trucks are the best and at least once a month someone has wanted to buy it off me--she is pristine!)
Old 01-05-2008, 10:10 AM

I had a '04 F150, driving 100 miles one way for work, decided that it was costing way too much in gas. I also was in the market for a tonaue (sp) cover as I kept my Camera gear in the back of my truck. I told my wife that if the PT made something like a panel, I would like to get one. She said how bout the HHR? I have never seen one. We hit our local Chevy dealer and I fell in love with The White Panel and Now I have The "Candid-1". Thats all.

Quick Reply: Share your purchase stories