General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Spark plugs will not loosen

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by hurst2001
and when you get it out .. the newplugs put anti seize at the top of thread of the new plugs and you will be happy next change ..
Except that GM says don't use anti-seize on spark plugs. We have been over this before.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Yes, GM says no anti seize.
But it’s your car so it’s your discretion.
I can say after 250,000 miles I’m on my 3rd set of plugs and have had no issues related to the anti seize
Old 12-09-2017, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Yes, GM says no anti seize.
But it’s your car so it’s your discretion.
I can say after 250,000 miles I’m on my 3rd set of plugs and have had no issues related to the anti seize
I didn't because you aren't supposed to and a few months ago during Gregg's health check up they all came out nice and easy
Old 12-09-2017, 08:09 AM
Administrator

New AC Delco plugs might have a touch of a coating on the threads so it is not really necessary.

Some tips from AC Delco

Visually inspect spark plugs for signs of wear. Follow these steps for removing spark plugs for inspection, servicing or replacement:
Grasp the spark plug boot and gently rotate it 90 degrees counterclockwise. Pull the spark plug boot and cable away from the spark plug. If necessary, use a spark plug boot removing tool. DO NOT grab or violently pull spark plug cables.
Brush or air blast dirt away from the well areas before removing spark plugs. CAUTION: Use goggles to protect eyes from debris when applying compressed air to spark plug wells.
Use the correct deep socket size to loosen each spark plug one or two turns. NOTE: To remove spark plugs from aluminum heads, allow the engine to cool. The heat of the engine, in combination with a spark plug that is still hot, may cause the spark plug threads to strip the cylinder head upon removal.
Remove each spark plug and place each one in a tray by cylinder number. This will help identify and relate any unusual condition to the cylinder involved.
Apply dielectric grease into the boot area to reduce the chance of exterior tracking on the buttress tower of the spark plug. This grease also promotes a good heat transfer between the spark terminal screw and boot terminal.
Before installing new spark plugs, use a gap guide to make sure your new spark plugs have the correct gap.
Install spark plugs or glow plugs to the proper torque per the manufacturers’ specification.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Except that GM says don't use anti-seize on spark plugs. We have been over this before.
From what I've read newer plugs are trivalent plated. This in itself will not need anything on it, but some engine oil, organic (Dino oil) or synthetic can be applied to the threads if you wanted to.
One of the reasons anti-seize shouldn't be used is over torquing the plug and the possibility it is applied to the electrodes which will lead to a plug miss fire.
Me, myself and I use anti-seize. I now have something that works to prevent any type of corrosion between steel and aluminium.
Also how many people really use a torque wrench to tighten their plugs? Let's get real, just don't gorilla it when you tighten them down.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:36 AM
Platinum Member

trivalent plated. My "Old School" brain had to look that up.

"NGK spark plugs feature what is known as trivalent plating. This silver-or-chrome colored finish on the threads is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture and chemicals. The coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal."

** not recommending these. Just the 1st description of trivalent I found.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:52 AM
Administrator

This guy explains somewhat

I found somewhere that the AC Delco plugs are copper core to the iridium tip , the threads are zinc coated to prevent galling and corrosion
Old 12-09-2017, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
trivalent plated. My "Old School" brain had to look that up.

"NGK spark plugs feature what is known as trivalent plating. This silver-or-chrome colored finish on the threads is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture and chemicals. The coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal."

** not recommending these. Just the 1st description of trivalent I found.
Isn't Google wonderful !
Old 12-09-2017, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Is there anything Google doesn’t know?
Like how to determine what correct and what is questionable info
Old 12-09-2017, 09:13 AM

Oldblue said:
"Is there anything Google doesn’t know?
Like how to determine what correct and what is questionable info"

Are you trying to say that space aliens are not the answer?

And eBay is not in a conspiracy with PayPal to steal everything I hold dear?

Last edited by donbrew; 12-09-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs will not loosen