General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 10:53 AM

Speakers

I've been looking thru all of the old threads regarding the speakers that quit working. What I haven't come across is what mine are doing. Whenever the weather is warm and dry, some of the speakers work, usually the right front door, and occasionally all of the other ones. Whenever it rains (does that a lot here) or is damp they all quit. Only the tweeters work.

So, when I take the door panel off to get to the speakers, is there anything I can do to fix this? What should I look for? I'm not sure if the speaker contacts short out or maybe the speaker coil?

It doesn't seem like the speakers are bad, cause they all work occasionally, so it must be something in the wiring? Anybody else had this problem?
Old 10-11-2016, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Moisture in the speakers will short them out. A cover of sorts will alleviate the problem from reoccurring in your new speakers , you could order two an cut them in halves

Boom Mat 6-3/4" Speaker Baffles (Slim-line: 3" depth) Protect your speakers Regular and slim-line sizes at Crutchfield.com
Old 10-11-2016, 12:38 PM
Technical Moderator

Part of the problem is water pooling at the bottom of the door then evaporating making the inside too humid. So, checking the drainage may help. Basically new speakers with baffles will fix it for a long time. There is a plastic liner inside the door that is supposed to keep the water from the window trim off of them, but.....

Yes, yours is fairly common but buried in the forum.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:31 PM

The failure is usually at the junction between the flexible and the magnet wire where they meet at a junction epoxied to the back of the cone down near the corrugated diaphragm in front of the magnet. It can't really be fixed, new speakers are the only option.
I put Polk Audio DB651 in mine, after having good luck with them in my other car, they're a marine grade speaker so appear to be less troubled by moisture.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:44 PM
JCC

]The failure is usually at the junction between the flexible and the magnet wire where they meet at a junction epoxied to the back of the cone down near the corrugated diaphragm in front of the magnet. It can't really be fixed, new speakers are the only option.
I put Polk Audio DB651 in mine, after having good luck with them in my other car, they're a marine grade speaker so appear to be less troubled by moisture.

Like many I had this problem as the GM speakers are just junk and a matter of time until they fail! The use of a marine grade speaker like the Polk Audio DB651 is good advice to note and to think on. If you can't afford all 4 doors use the marine grade speaker in the front doors and cheaper ones in the back with the baffle over them. Oldblue noted an ideal in cutting them in half so you need only 2 to cover all 4 speakers/ doors.
For sure the speakers or just a replacement project that comes due sooner or later so replace and move on... From one that wasted too much time at it......
Old 10-12-2016, 08:52 AM

Yep, that's what it was. Finally found the time (and the weather, rains a lot here and I don't have a garage) to remove the door panels. Wasn't hard at all.

The stock speakers were shot, there was a hole in one and you could hear the coil scraping when pushing on the cone. Got some Pioneer speakers with non-paper cones and they work great. Probably shoulda gone with Marine speakers but were too expensive for me right now. It's still a puzzle to me why they would work when dry and warm and not when wet and cold. The speakers were not wet, there was no indication that they had gotten wet and there was no indication that water had pooled in the bottom of the door.

As bad as one of the speakers was, it shouldn't have worked at all. Wonder why I waited for 2 years to do this.

Thanks for the responses.