General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Spots on Glass

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 12:48 AM

I get spots all the time. I just clean with foaming cleaner called "invisible glass" by Stoner (cant go wrong with a Stoner product! ), then claybar, then regular car wax. Never had any problems at all.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by en0oNmAI
I get spots all the time. I just clean with foaming cleaner called "invisible glass" by Stoner (cant go wrong with a Stoner product! ), then claybar, then regular car wax. Never had any problems at all.
What brand wax are you using? Is one better for glass than others?

Goose
Old 06-26-2007, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by eat_world
Windex does have ammonia and is terrible to use on your car or anything other than glass. It dries out plastics and causes cracking and discoloring. The vary best thing that you can use to clean your windows is ammonia free glass and surface cleaner ( i like zep products the best) with a extremely fine grit steel wool especially if you are a smoker, it will take out haze that you never knew exsisted. After the Steel wool you can go over it with a paper towel but I like to use a white t shirt the best.

Don't get me wrong ammonia is one of the greatest cleaners out there but with modern materials it does not mix well.
Check your label. A long time ago windex used to have ammonia but not anymore...at least not any of the windex I have bought these past few years.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by nfboy
Check your label. A long time ago windex used to have ammonia but not anymore...at least not any of the windex I have bought these past few years.
Being an appliance tech to know household cleaners extremely well b/c of the way they react with our appliances. Windex does contain ammonia or some sort of derivative, and i know this b/c of the corrosive nature, i have seen what it will do to the plastics on a microwave or any sort of key pannel. Trust me it will do damage sooner rather than later. Products like "invisible glass" are designed to be used on an auto for a reason, and i hope that i shed some light on that reason.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ern
Stoners Aresol.

Bought some Stoners today , will have to try it out on Tues when I clean the car. Got the same good reports on it from the guys at AutoZone.

Thanks
Old 07-02-2007, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by eat_world
Being an appliance tech to know household cleaners extremely well b/c of the way they react with our appliances. Windex does contain ammonia or some sort of derivative, and i know this b/c of the corrosive nature, i have seen what it will do to the plastics on a microwave or any sort of key pannel. Trust me it will do damage sooner rather than later. Products like "invisible glass" are designed to be used on an auto for a reason, and i hope that i shed some light on that reason.
According to the label it has an ethanol derivative. No ammonia. But the ethanol type product is a chemical that can cause problems with plastics.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Ern

Originally Posted by Daverb
Bought some Stoners today , will have to try it out on Tues when I clean the car. Got the same good reports on it from the guys at AutoZone.

Thanks
You should be able to get it there. Its one of the very few over the counter products I buy. Just buy the Aresol and not the pump spray. Aresol is a foam and the pump is just a bottle of streaks.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:09 PM

I always figure on washing my windows after a car wash, (mr Clean) then i use stoners or simple green glass, do touch ups on the paint with turtle wax premium detailer, detail the inside with simonize dash wipes. a little armour-all low shine on the exterior platic and rubber.BAM, 4 beers later you are done...
Old 07-02-2007, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
According to the label it has an ethanol derivative. No ammonia. But the ethanol type product is a chemical that can cause problems with plastics.
Maybe we have different products on different coasts b/c i know when i look at Windex on the shelf they have regular windex and windex ammonia free. But hey people can use what ever they want and its not like I'm a chemist or anything, but i would recommend using something automotive specific
Old 07-09-2007, 12:42 PM

[QUOTE=R CA HHR;162499]ERN your right! Stoner makes a product called Invisible Glass it works very well and it is the only glass cleaner I use on auto glass, but it will not remove real hard water spots.[/QUOTE]

so what is good for those water spots that WONT go away?
something like limeaway? or some crap that you use to remove spots off shower door?

cuz damn it ive tried alot of things

Quick Reply: Spots on Glass