General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 12:56 PM
DMP

Unhappy Steering Wheel

I am an owner of a new 2008 LT. I am also a loyal Chevy customer (Camaro > Venture > Classic > HHR). Due to milage issues, had to go with a better MPG car, so, HHR won the battle, and, I am most pleased so far.
--
I drive 150 miles per day to get to work, so, comfort and driving habits are priorties to me.
--
My issue that I REALLY need advise/help/guidance on is the following.. I am almost at the point of begging, so, please deal with me for a moment.... I cannot for the life of me adjust to a three spoke steering wheel. With the quasi four spoke wheel that I have had for the past twenty years on the prior three Chevy's that I had provided the ultimate comfort that I need to drive in peace. Now, since I drive over 150 miles/day, I have already put over 3,000 miles on the car, so, I have given this problem enough soak time to try and sort out. It's not happening, and, I am so upset since I cannot do this run every day being so uncomfortable.
--
My questions...
- Like they have on the Equinox, what can I do to get that steering wheel put on the HHR?
- If this is possible, am I looking at a 'zillion dollar price tag to do it?
- I am also not adjusting very well to the limited "tilt" on the wheel, but, I believe with the bigger wheel I will be able to bring it down a bit further.
--
Please, what ever feedback anyone can provide, it will be most sincerely appreciated.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:19 PM

The wheel itself would probably work but there may be a problem adapting the air bag,horn wiring and auxiliary controls from the Equinox to the HHR.For a non-leather wheel you're looking at about $539,and the air bag is $705.My vote would go to getting used to the 3 spoke wheel.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:21 PM

Get the steering wheel of an older cobalt they had 4 spoke wheels. ANthing 2006 would work. since its the same platform might minimize issues.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:51 PM

Im not sure I understand the extreme discomfort you describe using the stock wheel. What about it is causing you the problem as I cannot see where a 4 spoke would be better than a 3.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:44 AM

i know... i had a 05 sierra... best seats/stering wheel config ever...
Old 06-28-2008, 08:11 AM

I get it. My Ranger has a two spoke wheel, straight accross the center and leather wrapped. I've always like it. I adjust it fully down and drive wit my hands resting in my lap at the bottom. Especially on COLD days. The HHR's third spoke straight down has required some adjustments I'd rather do without. But, at least it's leather too. I've never been a fan of leather in a car, but on the steering wheel it's a make or break for a deal.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:07 PM
DMP

Thank you all for your feedback and understanding. The information here is confirming some if the issues I suspected I would encounter with a switch. Believe me, I am truly trying to adjust since I do like the ride, but, instead of enjoying the drive, I am constantly trying to find the new ideal placement of my hands. It's a tough one for me.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:43 PM

HHR Steering Wheel

I don't have a comment or suggestion for your problem but that's only because this HHR is the 1st Chevy I have purchased in more than 21 years, so the steering wheel works well for me. I hope you get it to where you are comfortable.

Last edited by landis327; 06-28-2008 at 03:43 PM. Reason: misspelled one word
Old 06-28-2008, 11:02 PM

We have similar driving traits. I use the lower left and right hand corners cine the middle is taken up. I can take it, but I also switched from an earlier GM car that had a "4-spoke". The '96 Riviera had buttons on the wheel too and I feel they were better laid out than the HR.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:06 PM

I know what you mean. I had a four-spoke wheel on my Windstar and put my hands at 4 and 8 while cruising down the highway. I can't do that on the HHR because I accidentally turn the cruise control off. I don't have the radio controls on the steering wheel or I'd probably be changing the station also.

I've had my HHR two years this weekend and have made many long trips. I found most comfortable raising the seat high and slanting the wheel down. I can comfortably put my hands on the top of the wheel or turn them palm up and hold the bottom of the wheel. I also built a removable arm rest to raise my right arm to a higher level. Here's a link to the pictures.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...light=armrests

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel