General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Strong fuel with full tank.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by JonArcherAZ
This morning the fuel tank was pulled and we found fuel seepage around the vapor hoses on top of the tank. Decided to swap tanks. The salvage yard had hosed off the replacement just before we arrived. Back at home with the replacement tank, now dry, we saw the same signs of seeping fuel. We then discovered all of the yellow plastic caps on the "roll over" valves were cracked. Went back to the original tank for a closer look and confirmed it also had the same cracks. We thoroughly cleaned the surfaces then liberally applied RTV over the yellow caps, seals and cracks. That should solve it!
i just replaced the vapor lines on the top of my tank for that very reason, fumes were terrible every time i filled until it got below 3/4 tank. No cel ever came on either. The fuel when leaking out would run off the top of the tank and collect inside the metal shield so no fuel ever dripped on the ground. Replacing the vapor lines completely fixed the problem, since I had the tank out I went ahead and replaced the fuel pump. Just in case. They are still available on line.

These are the lines on mine that were leaking
https://www.carparts.com/details/Chevrolet/HHR/AC_Delco/Fuel_Tank_Vent_Hose/2008/AC22719581.html?TID=gglpla&origin=&utm_source=goog le&utm_medium=pla&utm_campaign=12886175984&gclid=C j0KCQiAtJeNBhCVARIsANJUJ2ErgERH0KpbbyP8eo3SZsYHV6n oYSqUgR930xOS-ogc6D3wAMlCExcaApO7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by HHRman07; 11-30-2021 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 12-04-2021, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by JonArcherAZ
This morning the fuel tank was pulled and we found fuel seepage around the vapor hoses on top of the tank. Decided to swap tanks. The salvage yard had hosed off the replacement just before we arrived. Back at home with the replacement tank, now dry, we saw the same signs of seeping fuel. We then discovered all of the yellow plastic caps on the "roll over" valves were cracked. Went back to the original tank for a closer look and confirmed it also had the same cracks. We thoroughly cleaned the surfaces then liberally applied RTV over the yellow caps, seals and cracks. That should solve it!
RTV won't hold up to gasoline very well, don't know how long it will last though with just intermittent exposure.
We have always used Devcon Narine-Tex for marine tanks, it's an epoxy just for tank leaks.
Best of luck.
Old 12-04-2021, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by HHRman07
i just replaced the vapor lines on the top of my tank for that very reason, fumes were terrible every time i filled until it got below 3/4 tank. No cel ever came on either. The fuel when leaking out would run off the top of the tank and collect inside the metal shield so no fuel ever dripped on the ground. Replacing the vapor lines completely fixed the problem, since I had the tank out I went ahead and replaced the fuel pump. Just in case. They are still available on line.

These are the lines on mine that were leaking
https://www.carparts.com/details/Che...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Were you plastic fittings on the tank cracked as well?

Old 12-11-2021, 03:57 PM

I got same gas smell after filling up….and see nothing wet or dripping on ground. Not really any smell in the car though. Thanks for info. Well look asap
Old 12-11-2021, 05:27 PM

The vapor line won't drip but does smell.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:32 PM
Premium Member

In September, started smelling a strong gasoline odor inside the car when the tank was full. Ordered the vapor line assembly from Rock Auto and installed it today. This is what the top of the tank looked like before I cleaned it and installed the new vapor lines.
Old 12-20-2021, 11:54 PM

I had a similar problem on my SS for most of 2 years. Never saw anything on the ground, until it started smelling stronger. Just by luck as I was getting out of it in my garage, it seem very strong. Used a flashlight to look around, and saw one tiny droplet hit the floor and disappear. A small gas leak, a small quick to evaporate droplet, and parking in the same spot OVER the evidence on the floor. Got it up on a lift and felt the fuel line heat resistant fabric on the lines going up the left side behind the LR wheel, sure enough fuel leaking from the lines. The material is to keep heat off the fuel lines, but the way it's installed, it traps water inside it. My SS is a 2008, and at 100K miles, the lines were destroyed from outside in. Was just getting an Arthritis attack that year, couldn't reach over my shoulders. I had the money, wanted only factory parts, so took it to a local dealer. Yeah cost a bunch, $700. Didn't care, had a free brand new Chevy pickup as a loaner. And those 2 lines? They are about 7 feet long each. Anyway that was an easy fix for me. LOL My idea would be to use side cut pliers and cut a small notch of material out at the lowest points, so the water can't collect inside the material, and then soak it down with "Blaster" penetrating spray from a small cut out at the higher points. That would slow down the rusting.

Last edited by Pro4Art; 12-20-2021 at 11:56 PM. Reason: spaces
Old 12-21-2021, 05:56 AM
Administrator

Up here, we even have products like Rust Check and Krown rust proofing spray.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:22 AM

Gas smell..

2011 2.2 LT HHR….I got same issue, smell gas after I fill it. Read posts.
Is there any way to see the vapor lines with an inspection mirror on top of the tank? Also…what all is involved in dropping the tank?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2022, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Empty fuel tank, by running it down till the low fuel light comes on.
you can’t see up over the tank, no room.

Quick Reply: Strong fuel with full tank.