General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Strut Bar...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 05:13 PM

strut bars stiffin the front end when going into turns and give you better traction with less bodyroll
Old 08-10-2007, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by doughboy
strut bars stiffin the front end when going into turns and give you better traction with less bodyroll

i wouldn't say less body roll...

it links the top of the front suspension so there is less deflection between the two tops = better traction, more consistant turning, potientially more understeer as well though.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:22 PM

Not to rain on anyone, but with the strut towers being so close to the fire wall (which is already reinforced), will there be any real benifits of having a strut tower brace besides looking nice?
Old 08-10-2007, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by chingchonger
Not to rain on anyone, but with the strut towers being so close to the fire wall (which is already reinforced), will there be any real benifits of having a strut tower brace besides looking nice?
We have a winner!!

Yeh, it'll look badass, dress it up, add weight (meaning slower!), give bragging rights, ect...........
Old 08-10-2007, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by JoeR
We have a winner!!

Yeh, it'll look badass, dress it up, add weight (meaning slower!), give bragging rights, ect...........
Cool, finally selling points that mean something to me! Gotta add at least 5-10HP too!
Old 08-10-2007, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by chingchonger
try this test... tie a fishing line to the inner bolts of the strut towers, and tie it pretty taut... then take it out for a hard autocrossing and then come back here and say the line isn't broken.

i don't care if the strut towers are next to the fire wall - connecting them in a REAL way will help with cornering and steering input.

as far as weight is concerned... are you joking? get a lightweight battery and you'll be back to square one...
Old 08-10-2007, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by monza
try this test... tie a fishing line to the inner bolts of the strut towers, and tie it pretty taut... then take it out for a hard autocrossing and then come back here and say the line isn't broken.

i don't care if the strut towers are next to the fire wall - connecting them in a REAL way will help with cornering and steering input.

as far as weight is concerned... are you joking? get a lightweight battery and you'll be back to square one...
I'll keep that test in mind the next time I do some hard autocrossing in my HHR. I've had a front and rear strut tower braces in my old 95 Acura Integra Hatchback, it was very much benificial for cornering as the the front strut towers were at least a foot away from the firewall.

A strut tower brace made with an aluminum bar and steel mounts weigh in at around 5 lbs., if that. All steel will be about 10-15 lbs.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
Cool, finally selling points that mean something to me! Gotta add at least 5-10HP too!
Only with decals, Mike!!

BTW, hadn't spent much time here lately, but want to say that your car looks awesome in the pics I've seen and likely much better in person!!

You have the right to be proud of the work you've done!
Old 08-10-2007, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by monza

As an ex chassis engineer and someone who was involved in racing for many years, I have to ask what # test fishing line to use to test your theory?
Old 08-11-2007, 03:54 PM

I would love one just to lose some of the torque-steer.

Quick Reply: Strut Bar...