General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Tell me-----

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 06:08 PM

Tell me-----

New to this forum and glad I found it. Im on the fence with this car. I have tossed it around for months but cant commit to going out and buying one........yet but I am seriously thinking about it.

I have a few questions for you owners.......

what kind of gas milage do you get?

How about visibilty?....I have heard that can be somewhat of a problem.

Any problems?

Tell me what you like about your car....what you dont like. Id love to hear your comments.

any feedback is appreciated. Thanks and looking forward to hearing back from you.

Last edited by Jimbo; 04-08-2007 at 06:11 PM. Reason: forgot a couple of things........
Old 04-08-2007, 06:11 PM

Name:  welcome02.gif
Views: 18
Size:  13.5 KB to the site!!! Look around you and you will find many answers. Gas mileage for me around 27.5 mpg average. Visibility not a factor for me either. The last car I had was a Crossfire and has a similar small chopped windshield so I was use to it. Not any mechanical problems for me either. I have a 2007 1LT that I bought in August.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:15 PM

First
Second I have had mine since September 05 Gasmilage will depend on you. I love to step on mine so I get around 22 to 24 MPG. When I have gone on long trips I have gotten around 33 MPG. As for visibility, no problems here! I did have a bad injector that was changed in Oct 05, but no problems since- 26,000 miles and still in love!
Old 04-08-2007, 06:35 PM

Welcome to the best HHR site
Old 04-08-2007, 06:38 PM

Bienvenue,

About my Lil'red,

- I love it (Bought it last september)
- Did not have any major problem what so ever
- Good on gas
- Very practicle vehicule
-What I like and dont,

Like About every thing, major is the style of it

Dont like, arm rest and console in front
Old 04-08-2007, 08:04 PM

Jimbo- I do not own an HHR but I am in the same boat as you. Really thinking about it but I have my reservations.

My BEST advice to you is to go to Alamo Rental (or Avis or wherever) and rent one for a week. That is what I am doing right now, have the HHR until Thursday.

Observations: I have had 2 HHRs so far in this rental. The first one was a Summit White LT1, 2.2 Engine and no options other than leather. Very smooth riding and nice vehicle although it had some noise coming from the back that may be fuel pump related but not sure. Sounds like a dull roar while the car is running and my wife says she hears a high pitched noise (I can't hear it but my hearing is bad)..that high pitch sings fuel pump to me. The top storage area compartment seemed to be broken, did not open when button was pushed, had to push down and grab it to open it. Leather seats very comfy and the heated seats absolutely rock! Back drivers side door did not close cleanly..needed to slam it harder than other doors...if you just normally swung it shut it did not close correctly. This HHR may have been in an accident as I detected a little bit of overspray of white paint on that doors window.

I brought that HHR back after a day of driving it and asked if I could exchange it for another HHR on the lot...no problem(ymmv if you try this)...2nd HHR and the one I am currently driving is a Majestic Amethyst 2LT with all the toys except leather, sunroof or XM...gray cloth..has the 2.4 larger engine just so you know (in case you were unaware of the 2LT having it standard)...no running boards on either HHRs btw

This one seems to have everything functioning that the other one didn't...storage compartment works fine and no issues with any doors.

Comparisons: The 2.4 is coarser to me than the 2.2. I don't feel any more power with the bigger engine for everyday normal driving, where I did notice the extra ponys is on the highway when passing etc. The 2.2 has a definite different exhaust tone than the 2.4..I sort of like it more..sounds a little ricey if you know what I mean.

The ride is stiffer in the 2LT than the 1LT. I take it that it is due to the sportier suspension and the 17" rims and tires vs the 16". I have some twisty backroads near my house and the 2LT handled the very well with some spirited driving. I could not push the 1LT as hard through these corners as I did the 2LT. The highway ride is a bit busier in the 2LT...getting some vibrations through the gas pedal that are a little bit uncomfortable that were not present in the 1LT ***Disclaimer*** Remember, these are rentals and a lot of people beat the living snot out of rentals...the 2LT has some rim rash and a chunk taken out of the tire near the rim and these Firehawks even have the rim lip protector...someone kissed a curb pretty good to do that much damage for sure so the front end of this car may not be all that right. Not much vibe from the steering wheel but definte vibe through the gas pedal and can see the passenger seat wiggling while tooling down the highway.

I prefer the leather to the cloth but after being in the car for a day it is not as bad as when I went from the leather to cloth (does that make sense?)

Cup holders are not the greatest (tested with a medium Dunkin Donuts) but not horrible either...would not want to make a quick stop or turn with a drink in there though.

On both cars I found the power windows to be slower than I like going up. On the 2LT it makes sort of a funny noise like the channel is too tight and something is rubbing...just slow on the 1LT

MPG...the LT1 was in the 28 mpg range but I only drove maybe 100 miles in it.... so far in the 2LT I'm at 27 mpg on the nose with a fair amount of highway driving...usually in the 70-80 mph range....215 on the trip odometer so far and just above 1/2 a tank. Computer says 233 miles before fillup. And I'm sure there is 87 in the tank and not the 91 that is suggested so I guess mpg is not that bad...want to get over 30 though

The view out the front windshield takes some getting used to that is for sure...tough to see traffic lights and the A pillars are really thick and chunky and limit your vision while making turns. Something I think I could learn to live with though.

Radios, both the stock and the Pioneer ones are nothing to write home about...I found both of them to have VERY poor reception and lots of static. I think that people have said there is a fix available though.

Tilted down armrest...guess there is a TSB out for it so that should address this uncomfortable issue

Again, these are rentals and probably have been whaled on but by renting one you will get a feel on how the car handles, its quirks, its pluses etc...

Oh one thing I forgot to mention...both cars had almost the same miles on the 14K for the LT1 and 13K for the 2LT...LT1s brakes seemed fine, the 2LTs are warped bad....lots of shaking while braking at any speed over 45 mph. This has been a sore spot for all GM cars that I have driven it seems and it looks like a lot of people here have had issues with the rotors warping on them. Just something to be aware of if you go with an HHR.

Sorry to be so long winded, just wanted to pass along my experience so far and I'll be happy to answer any questions that you might have.

To be honest I was happier with the 1LT than the 2LT. I enjoyed the ride better and I really like the import sound of the exhaust..hey that's just me I guess. If I do end up with an HHR it will be a 1LT and only need the following: Fogs, running boards and automatic....everything else I can do without although the leather is REALLY nice and tempting. Oh and interior needs to be in Ebony. For colors my favorites are the Silverstone and the Sunburst Orange although I REALLY love the Daytona Blue and cannot believe the dropped it for 07

Ok over and out and hope some of my info was a least a little informative...now if you'll excuse me I need to take the "Purple People Eater" for a ride

Goose
Old 04-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Founding Member

That has to be one of the best write ups from a 'non-owner' that I have seen.
Heck, might be even better than us owners!
I don't mean non-owner in a bad way.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by SindyDix
You're not kidding...saves me alot of hunting and pecking.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:31 PM

Thanks guys.....oh forgot to mention that on both HHRs I checked the fuses and sure enough they needed to be pushed down as they were loose. Another thing that I noticed was that on the underside of the hood there are 4 white push discs that hold the black cover to the underside of the hood...the cover was drooping a bit on both cars. Figured if the fuses were loose maybe these push discs where not seated all the way in either and that was causing the black mat to droop...sure enough I pushed the discs and they clicked in on both cars as they were loose and now that black mat is sitting nice and snug ..maybe something to check on your HHRs

Goose
Old 04-08-2007, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by SindyDix
Makes me want to go get another one