General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Things to check after purchasing a used HHR

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 01:02 PM

Things to check after purchasing a used HHR

Nice to be here!

I'm Mike and have recently bought a 101,000 mile 2010 HHR 1LT 2.2L (auto), Had to go out and find me something sense the X took both vehicles in the divorce, yep, left me without transportation and I'm disabled. (long story, not for here)
Now on to the HHR, I test drove it and knew right off the bat that the sway bar / stabilizer? bushings had to be shot (after checking, they are very worn) and sense I would be having it done or doing it myself (with help) I went ahead and ordered the Links? as well...Both Moog. As standard procedure with me and used vehicle purchases, I had the oil & filter changed (all synthetic) I still need to flush out the cooling system, to muddy looking for my tastes. I have checked all other fluids and they look fine (for now) .It drives well except for the clunking on certain roads (I had done my research on the HHRs and knew about this issue before buying). shifts, steers and brakes nicely....wasn't sure what to expect out of the 2.2L engine but it didn't seem to have to much get up n go but still had decent enough power not to scare me off . Another standard practice is to change spark plugs, bought the recommended Ac Delco iridium? changing the plugs was a breeze and it needed the plugs changed gaps were very wide as the little tip had been deteriorating? (hope that isn't a sign of other problems) the old plugs were the same Ac Delco I was putting back in (that felt like good news to me for some reason) Once I had them replaced and changing the air filter while I was there (it also was a dirty mess) I had forgotten to plug in the sensor on the filter, so I go all sorts of warnings, mainly Traction control, once I plugged it back in and restarted the T/C warning went away but check Eng light was still on, but after sitting overnight and stating her back up the next day it was no longer present. She does have more get up and go now starts a little easier than it did with the bad plugs.
To make my long introductory story even longer (I promise to make things shorter after this post) I was wondering what else might be cost effective things to check or replace with a recently purchased HHR? from some of the reading I've done here the O2 sensors might need a replacing even if just for preventative maintenance?, I don't have the Eng check light coming on but I don't have a Code reader? ( tho I am seriously think of getting one at some point), I have learned through this site would be to, come here first with any codes that my show up as that a code could lead one in many different directions.
Side Notes: Yep!, I only have 1 speaker working , luckily the drivers side....
Thanks for reading and very happy to have this site to check thru before starting any tasks.
BTW any of you live near North Central Arkansas to lend me a hand? lot to do !....lol

Mike
Old 03-29-2018, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome - sounds like you are on top of it pretty good already.

I wouldn't replace the O2 sensors until they start to act up - they often will last the life of the vehicle.

You would do well to make sure the rear brakes are adjusted properly - a lot of people miss that, and as they don't self-adjust that well they go out of adjustment, making the front brakes work harder. and that can lead to over heated and warped front rotors.

The speakers can be a problem - but luckily they are easily replaced - use the search tool at the top of the page to search out some good tips and hints on acquiring replacements and doing the install.

ps: you might want to have the battery tested, if it's install date isn't known. When they do die, the symptoms can be very weird and sudden - gauges go wild with bad readings, warning lights light up, error msgs/codes go nuts.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site!
Old 03-29-2018, 02:47 PM

Welcome!

The proper sway bar end links are the 10 inch (K750012), not the 12 inch that most books try to sell you. Note that the "12" on the end of the part number does not relate to the dimension.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:06 PM

Thanks to this site I did check out threads about those end links and did order the correct size.....what was it ? 9.5 center to center? 10 total...just shootin off the hip on those numbers...can't count on my memory anymore.......
Old 03-29-2018, 03:46 PM

Welcome!
Old 03-29-2018, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by kamikaze3557
Thanks to this site I did check out threads about those end links and did order the correct size.....what was it ? 9.5 center to center? 10 total...just shootin off the hip on those numbers...can't count on my memory anymore.......
That 9.5" are the right ones. Tip: hit them with some WD40 a day ahead of time - they are a blitch to remove sometimes. :)
Old 03-29-2018, 04:32 PM

1. I would Change the Cabin Filter.
If you use AC Delco be sure to get the OEM Replacement only.
Part #22731072.
The lower priced Professional one is a piece of Junk and will buckle when you insert it.
Look on Rock Auto or E Bay.

2. Remove the Cover on both Fuse/Relay boxes and Reseat (push down tight) all the fuses etc.
There is One under the hood and the other inside the cabin on the Passenger side in the engine console.

3. Service the Cooling System within every at least every 150,000 miles or 5 years which ever comes first per Owners Manual recommendations.
I would service @ 100,000 miles or 5 years myself.

Use Only ... Dex-Cool 50/50 Pre mix or,
Dex-Cool with 50% Distilled Water only added.
You can buy Distilled Water in Gallon Jugs at Walmart for $1 ea.

Mix thoroughly before installing. You can If necessary follow Install Instructions in your HHR owners Manual or just take it to a Dealer or Mechanic to do the job.
Either way after it has been done I would carefully monitor your "DIC" temp gauge for a couple days or so to make sure there is not an Over Heating Problem from an incorrect or incomplete installation.

4. I would also consider replacing the Thermostat based on the vehicle Mileage at the same time as the Cooling System Service and while the coolant has already been drained.
If you decide to replace it .. Use ONLY a Genuine 180 Degree AC Delco Factory Replacement Thermostat or suffer the possibility of an early failure or poor performance and/or operating issues from most aftermarket offerings.

5. Lube all door, hood, rear hatch, rear seat latches sparingly with grease. I use White Lithium grease available in a small tube.

6. Consider cleaning the MAF Sensor and Throttle body, using "OLD BLUES" materials and procedures.

7. Either replace Wiper Blades or Wipe with 90% Alcohol to clean them. I use a clean paper towel.

8. Have the Battery Tested if you have no record of when last replaced.

*** DO NOT WAIT FOR YOUR BATTERY TO FAIL ***

9. Check All Tires for Aging Conditions and Proper Air Pressures.
Look on your Driver Side door jam for an ID Plate with the Correct Pressures for the Stock tire size.
If you have a Torque Wrench, check all 4 wheels for 100 Ft. Pounds per wheel.

All LS and 1LT HHR's should have the 5 plastic bolts that hold the wheel covers on checked to see if they are all even and snug.
Be very careful to not over tighten these bolts. I just go around and around tightening a little each time until they are all snug and even.

Test drive your HHR to see if you are having any vibration due to Tire Balance.
Pick a smooth road if possible and increase speed up to approx. 65-70 mph just long enough to see if the are "any speeds" that you have an issue.
If Yes, then address the issue right away.
Out of balance tires are not only irritating and uncomfortable but over time they are hard on front end parts and the whole car in general. Also a vibration could be a tire separation/broken belt or other issue that needs attention.
Also look at any Tire Wear Patterns to see if you need some Front End parts replaced as well as a Front Alignment.
I have found it pays to pick a good shop for front end issues including the alignment.
Many front end shop are totally careless on setting center steering properly because either they do not think it is important or to lazy to test drive it for that final setting which is important to me.

10. Check Rear Shocks for Leaking.

11. Check air in Spare Tire if you have one. Not all HHR's have a spare tire.
Inflate to 60lbs. psi

12. Make sure you have a working Jack and Lug Nut Handle.

13. I would do a walk around and see if all your lights are working including Low and High Beams and Back Up lights.

14. I would initially park a new HHR in a place where you can see if it is leaking any fluids so you will not get a big surprise one fine day.

15. Check your Wiper fluid bottle, and I recommend you use a product that will protect your system down to below zero or based on your location for winter driving.

16. I recommend starting off with using 3 or 4 tanks of new fresh fuel with Full Mix Ratio of "Techron Fuel Additive" as a mini tune up for your injectors and the whole fuel system.
Personally I do this once a year but only drive approx. 20,000 miles per year.
That goes hand in hand with an Immediate Oil and Filter change when picked up and another change within the first 3000 miles.

Don't forget the HHR's use 5/30W Oil and any 2011 models require 5/30W Oil with the Dexos label on the container.

17. I would also "Manually Adjust" the rear brakes ASAP.
I have it done at Chevrolet because they know me and do it on the cheap, but it is easy to do your self. Pretty much the same procedure as the older cars without automatic adjusters. Use a brake spoon or a proper screw driver will work. This issue is discussed on this site an several places if you need more information.
Doing this procedure will save your front Brakes/Rotors and give you better performance.
Do it fairly regularly based on the miles you drive and the conditions.
Lots of in town stop and go ... more frequently.

The Above Recommendations are what I do, and there may be additional items I have not mentioned here, but this is a pretty good place to start.
Each Used HHR has different mileage and in different condition as well as the Year and Model differences, so each one may need additional items checked or replaced.

Silverfox

Last edited by Silverfox; 03-30-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

Good list Silverfox!!!!
Old 03-29-2018, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Silverfox - do you mind if I use your list to add to a new thread I've been thinking of to list items one should check when purchasing a used HHR? Of course you will get credit for your contributions, as well as our thanks and supreme admiration.

Quick Reply: Things to check after purchasing a used HHR