General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Thinking of getting a used HHR. What problems to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:59 AM

Smile Thinking of getting a used HHR. What problems to look for?

Hi, I'm new here and was wanting to get some advice on HHRs. I currently have a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am with the 2.2L 5-spd and I love it (37+ mpg) but it doesn't have enough room for my family.

I was wanting to get an HHR with the 2.2L 5-spd and ABS brakes.
Is there a laundry list of things to check (and questions to ask) when looking at
a used HHR? Any advice would be appreciated.

By the way, I did a search and couldn't find any threads regarding this type of question.
If there is one that I missed, please direct me to it.
thanks,
-Tim
Old 02-19-2008, 11:59 AM

Welcome to the site. The search feature isn't all that good IMO, depends on how you words things. Some HHR's had or have rotor issues and the 06's and some 07's had the ign key stick due to the auto. shifter which had to be replaced. I know one member here seemed to have bought a used 06 and it has all kinds of problems from what I read, but it doesn't seem to matter what car you get, it maybe one of the bad ones, but most are good. I have a 08 and no probs so far. Other members will chime in at some point. Don't think you will see 37mpg in a hhr unless it is go downhill alot and not climbing hills but some get upper20's lo 30's all depends on how you drive and winter weather. Going from a full size pickup that was in the 13-14 mpg to the 2.4L HHR with around 23 mpg right now, I am very happy, and notice on freeway driving it does show in the lo 30's
Old 02-19-2008, 12:05 PM

Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 21
Size:  5.6 KB to the site!!! First question is have you sat in one? I'm not thinking an HHR is really going to give you all that much more room for your family with maybe the exception of cargo space. To do some research on what problems members have been afflicted with I would suggest perusing here:Problems/Service Issues
Old 02-19-2008, 12:07 PM

I agree with 08HHR. I have a brand new one with less than 1500 miles on it. Not great mileage but I am confident that will improve. These are great ultility vehicles and all 3 seats fold flat. Really comfy rear seats too. I think running a carfax report and maybe getting your dealer to run the VIN for any recalls etc would be a good idea. Rental return HHR's can be certified and they are a good value. Then at the end of the day, the COOL FACTOR is off the hook with these cars!

Don
Old 02-19-2008, 01:12 PM

Tim,

Welcome!

I love Grand Ams :) How the heck do you get 37MPG from a Grand Am? Amazing!!! Don't sell it - you've got a perpetual machine on your hands.

I have an '08 & so far can't point out any problem areas.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by wingfeather
Tim,

Welcome!

I love Grand Ams :) How the heck do you get 37MPG from a Grand Am? Amazing!!! Don't sell it - you've got a perpetual machine on your hands.
It's that awesome 2.2L, 5-spd combo plus some conservative and anticipatory driving style (I've regularly beaten the EPA ratings in every car I've ever owned).
The Grand Am community thought it was pretty amazing too, but I think that's only because the 2.2L/5-spd combo is so rare in a GA/Alero (most are 3.4L V6, auto). I've actually gotten 39.4 mpg on a long trip in the GA and that was in colder weather. If I ever went anywhere far in the summer, I might break 40.

I don't know if you've ever noticed but the 2004 GA/Alero with 2.2L 5-spd was rated at 26/37 (before the new method of calculating in 2008 adjusted everything down...you can still see it at fueleconomy.gov, but you have to click on "Compare to official EPA ...").

Anyway, back to HHR talk. It's really the cargo space that I need, plus I really like the way they look. According to Edmunds the curb weight of the HHR is only 39 more pounds than the 2003 GA (It's 3155 lbs and 3116 lbs, respectively). I think the gearing is the same too (but not completely sure of that), so high thirties may be
possible. I won't count on it, but I'm pretty sure I could count on 32-34 which is excellent for a car that size and price range.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:37 PM

Tim! Like Hillsdale said, unless it's cargo capacity you're after, I'm sure you'll find that the grand am has as much or more driver/passenger space as the HHR. You'll probably find the seating position odd compared to the grand am...the fuel mileage won't compare with the pontiac either...even with identical drivetrains. The HHR is just not as aero-efficient as your grand am. Now I'm not knocking the HHR, it's a great little vehicle! It's just a different animal than what you're used to. Rent one for a few days or a week if you're really serious about one...although you won't find a manual to rent. My daily driver is a 1995 Beretta with the old style 2.2L & a 5-speed. It gets 34 mpg on the hwy, my 06 HHR with 2.2L/5-speed won't get that. It's all in what you're after...coolness & utility, go HHR!
Old 02-20-2008, 07:13 AM

I'm going to disagree somewhat on the space aspect. We've got a young child, and I would definitely prefer the HHR to most any sedan for hauling him around. We actually traded in a Grand Prix for my HHR. The HHR's cabin is a bit more tight up front, but the back seats were/are nearly as comfortable. The utility is why we bought it. With the kid, we are always hauling crap around. Before we got the Freestyle, the HHR was almost always the vehicle of choice(vs an 03 Accord) when we were all going somewhere together. The utility is worth the slight loss of cabin space IMO.

Now, as to problems, mine's been pretty bad lately, but it's not typical from what I've seen here or what my dealer has told me. Two problems that I've had and my dealer admits to seeing a few times are the warped rotors (make sure the vehicle stops smoothly from highway speeds) and the steering column noise(listen for a rattle when going over slow, bumpy terrain).
Old 02-21-2008, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by an08HHR
Welcome to the site. The search feature isn't all that good IMO, depends on how you words things. Some HHR's had or have rotor issues and the 06's and some 07's had the ign key stick due to the auto. shifter which had to be replaced. I know one member here seemed to have bought a used 06 and it has all kinds of problems from what I read, but it doesn't seem to matter what car you get, it maybe one of the bad ones, but most are good. I have a 08 and no probs so far. Other members will chime in at some point. Don't think you will see 37mpg in a hhr unless it is go downhill alot and not climbing hills but some get upper20's lo 30's all depends on how you drive and winter weather. Going from a full size pickup that was in the 13-14 mpg to the 2.4L HHR with around 23 mpg right now, I am very happy, and notice on freeway driving it does show in the lo 30's
I just returned from Florida and averaged 69 MPH and showed 38 MPG. Only stopped for gas and slid up to the gas pumps. Didn't compare to the actual miles and gallons of gas purchased. City Driving is more like 26.