General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Thinking of an HHR replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 01:23 PM

I saw a trax with washington state plates, not sure how they got it. The buick version looks nicer though.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Old Lar
I did test a Ford Fusion hatchback on Friday and liked it. Of course the dealer was pushing for an immediate sale and kept dropping the price for a sale. They did not have one on the lot that I wanted. Their initial offer was $5000 for my 06 HHR. for a bottom line of $17K out the door. They were at $14-$15Kwhen I told them I am just researching cars.

My HHR has had no issues and I doubt that I'm ready to trade the car.
No such thing as a Fusion hatchback. Did you mean a Ford Focus?

To the OP's original question, I think you need to decide what kind of vehicle you really want first - a 'fun sporty car' for your 'second youth' probably isn't going to be the same vehicle that's going to get you 30 mpg and room for 2 bikes and a weeks' load of stuff.......

I think you need to go out and test-drive a few of each type. Do some research on each. We can all give our opinions here, but you've got to narrow your Focus (no pun intended) By the way, the new Focus is supoosed to be a great vehicle. Check out the sporty ST model. Also, the new Escape CUV is getting good reviews.

And for SS Fan, who suggested an Audi A6 or S6 Avant, Oh no........not in your life - unless you have a rich uncle to pay all your maintenance and repair bills. Great vehicles to drive, but the upkeep will kill your bank account.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:22 PM

I know I am going to get another "wagon" type vehicle. It just works for my lifestyle. The Z is a complete red herring. They are fun cars, but pretty useless for what I want to do. As for the Audi's, beautiful cars, but the cost of entry is a bit steep. Having owned a Volkswagon before, I know that Maintenance and upkeep can get a bit steep.

I am posting here to get ideas of vehicles to look at that I may not have considered. The Buick for example. I had not even bothered to look at a Buick as I considered the Enclave too big for my purposes and was not aware that they had a smaller crossover vehicle.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

Just go buy the SS and get it over with, have you ever drove one. Its one bad blank little wagon, and the entry level is a joke when you divide horse power by money..Humor me go drive one.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:30 PM

There is a Chevy that is about the same as the Buick Encore, but the only drawback is that they are fleet rental vehicles and are only sold as used its called the Chevy Captiva
Old 03-18-2013, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Krash Kadillak
No such thing as a Fusion hatchback. Did you mean a Ford Focus?

To the OP's original question, I think you need to decide what kind of vehicle you really want first - a 'fun sporty car' for your 'second youth' probably isn't going to be the same vehicle that's going to get you 30 mpg and room for 2 bikes and a weeks' load of stuff.......

I think you need to go out and test-drive a few of each type. Do some research on each. We can all give our opinions here, but you've got to narrow your Focus (no pun intended) By the way, the new Focus is supoosed to be a great vehicle. Check out the sporty ST model. Also, the new Escape CUV is getting good reviews.

And for SS Fan, who suggested an Audi A6 or S6 Avant, Oh no........not in your life - unless you have a rich uncle to pay all your maintenance and repair bills. Great vehicles to drive, but the upkeep will kill your bank account.
I did mean Focus. I've been looking at many cars. KIA Sorrento, Sportage, Hyundai Tucson, Santa Fe, Toyota Rave etc. For a daily driver type car that gets 30 mpg+ and out the door <$20. The Equinox, Terrain with the DI I4 engine seems to have many issues when I review that forum. It seems that the price point for many cars are between $25-30K and aren't worth it. (my opinion)
Old 03-18-2013, 06:54 AM

I was in a Encore an it reminds me of a HHR with a better interior and little cargo room unless you fold something down. The seating room is very similar and you sit higher up.

After the autoshow and some of the cars I drove I do not know what I would consider if I were to sell the SS. You can rest assured it would not be a Mazda, Subaru, Hyundai or Kia.

Tight now I am waiting to see how the new small GMC truck turns out.

I did love the ATS AWD Turbo but not for $51K.

GM also has a RWD sub Alpha platform coming for the Eco Turbo. Odds are it will be out before I am ready for a trade down the road. The new lighter Alpha Camaro may be another once I see what it looks like. On paper it should be interesting.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:42 PM

Anyone looked at the Chevy Captiva, I see the dealers have them used.
Seems a little expensive compared to what the HHR was selling for on 2011.
But so far have only found 6 cyls.

They look good, but haven't driven one yet.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by 11BlueJ
Anyone looked at the Chevy Captiva, I see the dealers have them used.
Seems a little expensive compared to what the HHR was selling for on 2011.
But so far have only found 6 cyls.

They look good, but haven't driven one yet.

I wonder if you have a Business license and name if you could buy a New one??

Thats the closest to an HHR replacement that I have seen.

Offered in 4 levels and also with the 2.4L 180hp engine.

19 gallon gas tank but slightly lower mileage then the 2.4L HHR.

SF
Old 03-18-2013, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

the chevy trax is neat looking....small but nice

Quick Reply: Thinking of an HHR replacement