General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Tips buying HHR SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:34 AM

Tips buying HHR SS

Hey guys, ive got a 07 Cobalt LS base model that ive had for several years now got it super cheap and with bolt ons get 40 mpg (couldnt beat it for a commuter car).

I just had Irish Twins and need more room so im going for an HHR SS. (although at this point credit is an issue).

I found one 5spd in the area and was really hoping for RPD/LSD although this one appears to not have either although I cant tell. It at some sweet place named "Done Deal Motors", and ive sent an email and not gotten a response. Check it out:

http://www.donedealmotors.com/newand...-MA-02021.aspx

Let me know what you guys think, only other 5 spd in my area is a 08 in the metallic blue color with NO lsd and 35k for $18500!!! price is just stupid so i dont even wanna bother with that one. And is there a way to tell options by the VIN? It is visible on the door sticker in one of those pics.

heres my 07 LS just gotta go back to stock and find a freaking cosigner/Credit acceptance program and im good.

I am very much into modding cars, just havent done too much to my LS because i cant get much out of it just did intake/intake manifold, exhaust, tune and shift +. Ive been researching LNF's for quite some time and already have everything planned out (intake/dp/hp tune from my local tuner who is very skilled). I just have to find the right vehicle.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:53 AM

That 09 you posted doesn't have RPD or G85.

I just paid 14k for a 2008 w/ 62k miles about a month ago. Fully loaded including G85/LSD (08 didn't have Brembos or RPD as options.). So your price for an 09 isn't that bad.

If it's listed for 14,9, you can definitely get it lower.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Banned

That SS In black is over priced for the mileage. I would knock off $1,500 and that would be more reasonable for the mileage though personally I would aim for $12,500.

As for the metallic blue. Forget it. That is WAY over priced.

Suggestion. www.cars.com and narrow it down and see what the going rates are for what you're looking for.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:11 AM

As for checking options are particular cars, use www.compnine.com

A lot of people will tell you not to trust it, but I've ran 9 VINs through it that I know for sure what it's options were, and it was 100% accurate as far as the RPO codes.

There is also a sticker on the glove box with all the RPO codes if you see the car in person.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:28 AM

Cool! compnine is back!

OP, I paid 14,700 for mine a year ago with 42K miles. I would push for a better deal, too. I have G85, but no RPD or Brembos. Good luck with your search from a former South Shore guy (Weymouth) myself!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:41 AM

^Excellent man, we have been putting together a LNF/LSJ Garage in Lowell, MA, John Grunland is the main tuner, he tuned my car and TONS of LNF/LSJ's. They are always doing mods, lots of supercharger work, and hes been writing LNF tunes for his own car for over 3 years (as well as others), and hits stupid numbers with his own car. He charges $150 for a street tune at this point and will have a dyno by Christmas. They just ordered lifts I believe and those should be up in august. (they also do Cobb tuning and a few others for different makes).

https://www.facebook.com/NewEnglandP...nceandTuneShop

And as far as the car goes, I dont buy a care unless I get a minimum of $2k off sticker, used cars have plenty of mark up assuming the dealership doesnt own them wrong, and if they do and dont budge you just find a different car. I work for Chrysler Sales/Financing so I have a good understanding of things from that perspective.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:01 AM

Now here is something interesting. What do you guys think off an HHR SS for 100k miles as far as reliability? Keep in mind I will be add intake/DP, and going to a 24 slow ramp HP tune.

http://www.clarkchryslerjeep.com/use...5d149bf193.htm

I like this because I could swap this into my dealership at cost because Clark Chrysler is a partner dealership with my own.

and thank you for the compnine link, it works perfect!
Old 06-13-2012, 10:02 AM

I came over to the LNF from my prior Cobalt SS/SC (LSJ), with your job title are you able to provide your own financing or you relying on another dealership?

Look into a private owner sale if you're able to get a loan independently, I bought mine from a dealer providing my own financing only due to trading in my SS/SC. Otherwise I would have found a better deal I'm sure.

I've owned mine for 9 months but am looking into something RWD now, with 3-4k in mods mine is priced privately for what many people in this thread are paying.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:09 AM

Mines almost to 90K, I bought at about 80K. You'd need to go over the car carefully. I'm slowly going about verifying or replacing all the things that it might need at that mileage like motor mounts, suspension, and brakes. At that mileage, you want to find any weak links before they break. It seems to me, if taken care of, the HHR is a pretty solid car.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:04 AM

well im running into an issue at this point which is my stupid credit that I ruined over rims and a flat screen TV years ago when I was lazy, stupid and doing drugs/drinking. (not hard stuff just smoked weeed 247 and didnt give a ****).

Now im older and have kids and need to figure my life out. Ive got a house through my dad, and a car on my dads credit as well (2011 Camry lease, $225/m with $1000 down nice deal). So I really dont want any more handouts, not that he would give me any. My dealership has Credit Acceptance Financing which I am certified in. Basically in my situation, anyone is approved at 16.99-21.99 APR (YIKES) so id trade my car and then pay interest up the ass but Id have a car in my name and improve my credit. They also make you take a $1500 warranty and upcharge the car. So you get a $12,000 car for like $400+ a month, it sucks but thats what you have to do when your credits shot.

Quick Reply: Tips buying HHR SS