General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Tow Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 12:46 PM

Tow Car

Does anyoe tow an HHR with and RV? We tow ours and the manual says to turn the key to accessory, put in neutral, take off break, etc. My huband wants to know if it should stay on accessory the whole time it's towed?
If anyone knows please let me know with private message or on the forum.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member

Since you didn't give the year of your car, here is the 2nd page of the towing instructions from my Owners Manual.You seem to have done just the 1st page of the instructions.
Yes. It stays in the accessory position because the gear selector is in neutral.

To prevent the battery from draining while the vehicle is
being towed, remove the following fuse from the floor
console fuse block: 8 (Ignition Switch, PASS-Key® III+).
See Floor Console Fuse Block on page 6-116 for
more information.
Remember to reinstall the fuse once the destination has
been reached.
Notice: If 105 km/h (65 mph) is exceeded while
towing the vehicle, it could be damaged. Never
exceed 105 km/h (65 mph) while towing the vehicle.
Notice: Towing the vehicle from the rear could
damage it. Also, repairs would not be covered by the
vehicle warranty. Never have the vehicle towed
from the rear.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by dasampson
Does anyoe tow an HHR with and RV? We tow ours and the manual says to turn the key to accessory, put in neutral, take off break, etc. My huband wants to know if it should stay on accessory the whole time it's towed?
If anyone knows please let me know with private message or on the forum.

Thanks
We tow our 2007 behind our motorhome. Yes you better leave the ignition in the accessory position, needed to allow the front wheels to turn, around corners etc. You must also pull fuse 8, in the console kick panel on the passenger side, which will not allow stuff, like the radio, odometer, SRS system etc, to run while in accessory. You are I'm guessing towing 4 down, right?
Old 05-09-2013, 08:28 PM

Thank you for the information. We have a 2007 as well and when towing we have left the key in accessory and have pulled fuse 8 but the radio does not go off. We have to manually turn it off. Good to know we are doing what everyone else is doing.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:30 PM

Thank you for the information. Our HHR is a 2007. We have done just what the manual says.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:57 PM

Smile Leave key in accessory or install switch

Hello. No mention has bbe made of the steering wheel must turn when going around corners.If key is not on.front wheels and dires willm be damaged. A switch can be installed it turn the power off f the fuse. Good luck:twothumbs
Old 05-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by James Morris
Hello. No mention has bbe made of the steering wheel must turn when going around corners.If key is not on.front wheels and dires willm be damaged. A switch can be installed it turn the power off f the fuse. Good luck:twothumbs
The key does not have to be "on" as you stated. Just in the accessory position which unlocks the steering.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:23 PM

Yep gotta keep the steering unlocked, which leaving the ignition switch in ACC will do. BTW, I had a simple mechanical ignition key made, no chip so it can't start the car, which I use when the car is being towed, and keep the chipped key with me, after locking the car with the fob. When I get to our destination, I unhook, remove the mechanical key, use the chipped key to start the car, and its ready for use. Also I installed a switch, so I don't have to remove fuse 8, just switch it off. Much easier, and I like easy.

Last edited by Laco; 05-11-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:37 PM

Thank you for the information. We have a 2007 as well and when towing we have left the key in accessory and have pulled fuse 8 but the radio does not go off. We have to manually turn it off. Good to know we are doing what everyone else is doing.
Hmmmm, don't understand the radio not going off when you pull fuse 8. Mine sure does, and yours should too. There are other things that also are not powered with fuse 8 out, like the odometer, (you don't want miles ticking up while your are towing) the SRS system, if no one is in the car, why deploy airbags, if there is an impact. When my car is plugged into the motor-home, its wired so the cars battery is kept charged by the motor-home. With my braking system (US gear) there is a current draw every time you use the brakes, since the system has its own car mounted pump to maintain vacuume in the cars braking system. It all has worked flawlessly for six years now.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:02 AM

I think the radio may be powered by the RAP (10 minute delay) . I always turm my radio off mannually, but I will check for sure next time. I have the Roadmaster fuse switch for the # 8 fuse. Makes life easier. A charge wire to the battery is recommended to keep the tow brake system from running the batt down.