General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Truck plates?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 11:49 AM

Truck plates?

Went to the Missouri DMV today to register my new HHR Panel. She assigned me truck plates as it has no back windows. Told her it was more of an SUV and now has rear seats, stated she was familiar with HHR's, still no windows.... gets truck plates.

Don't know if it makes any difference in the long run?
Old 07-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Deceased

I've seen HHR panels registered both as SUV/wagons and as trucks depending on the state. Even though your panel now has rear seats, it wasn't configured that way from the manufacturer and the DMV probably considers it a truck on that basis alone. Owner applied modification rarely change a vehicle's registration classification.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:50 PM

What strikes me as most odd is that here in Wisconsin I have seen some with truck plates and some (like mine) that were given standard car plates. Makes me think that the DMV is confused by the HHR.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Rest In Peace

Panel owner here with regular Car plates.

Allstate Insurance considers it a suv/truck for insurance.(to charge you More)

I would have refused a Truck plate, lots of roads and areas you can't drive with a truck plate on. Lake Shore Drive, Boulevards. Heck alot of Towns won't allow overnight Truck parking in your own driveway, Including Pick Ups without any lettering on them even.
I would have gone elswhere or tried on another day with another person.

Weird how there is so much confusion about this Little CAR.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Deceased

Its very dependent on the state where you reside, I have an employee with a panel who lives up in PA, its registered as a truck and its garnered him some tickets in Philly just because of its truck plates.

But according to PennDOT, panels are light commercial vehicles and windowed HHR's are station wagons, the determination is based on the number of passengers its configured for. We tried to fight the tickets and lost, he now knows to look very carefully for signs limiting truck and commercial vehicle parking, at $150 a pop the tickets added up quickly.

Roadside Deluxe could probably appeal to the Kansas DOT but the time and effort involved would probably not be worth it compared to any difference in fees from a truck plate to a car plate.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

I think we had this discussion just after the HHR's were introduced for 2006. Even though some states list this vehicle as a "wagon", truck, or whatever, GM/Chevrolet lists the vehicle as a truck (probably for fuel mileage reasons and the rear seating areas ability to fold flat as a truck). Just thought you would like to know.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Deceased

Yup, GM classifies/classified it as a truck/SUV, but state DOT's are apt to use their own classification systems and criteria as are insurance underwriters. Here in NC they are SUV/station wagons, but my wife's insurance company classifies the '06 in her name as a passenger car, State Farm says the two in my name are SUV's.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:13 PM

When I went to register my panel, the agent at the DMV told me that the determination for truck plate was established by some formula of passenger seating / cargo area. I do not remember what the percentage was but, I am guessing if that formula were applied to my Corvette, it would also be a truck. In the long run, it makes no difference. Light truck plate is the same cost as a car plate. I have not seen an HHR Panel with car plates in WI. I am reasonably certain that I could get a car plate with the addition of a rear seat in this state though.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:50 PM

Many states see the panels as a work truck and require the truck plate. It often means more money.

I used to have to register my 1972 GMC Sprint SP [Elcamino SS] as a truck even though It was not for commercial use. They later came out with non comm plates to make it cheaper.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Rest In Peace

My plates were issued directly at the Dealer I bought it at. The new Car plates were put on as part of the delivery prep before we ever left the lot with it. Bought it used.

As for fuel milage reasons, arent truck mpg's standards lower than a cars?

The HHR has pretty good gas milage well within a cars standard I would think.

Like said I guess every state is different, just glad in IL. I got a Cars plate.

My Father drove full sized windowed vans and always got regular car plates for them. Had to do with the windows. But some guys he worked with who did not pay much attention got stuck with B Truck plates for the same type vans over the years. Trick was to answer "Windowed" if asked if the van had windows. Most times they are just going through the motions so a quick reply gets a quick rubber stamp and you were on your way with a car plate for a non winowed full sized van.

I think some bit of salemanship on your part can swing a car plate your way some times. Depending on who is behind the counter that day.

A little sweet talkin to the woman at the counter to distract her can get stuff done in your favor.

Quick Reply: Truck plates?