General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Tune up and oil change dates?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 05:56 PM

Tune up and oil change dates?

Do you guys go by the DIC to change your oil or go by the standard 3000 miles? If you use the digital read out when do you change the oil? At 25%?
For those of you who have had your HHR for a while. Do you tune these things up at 100,000 miles or sooner?
The transmission needs no messing with for 100,000 I know.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

johnnypatrick....

You're going to get a lot of "groans" over these two questions. Both have been hashed out numerous times in numerous threads.

Not trying to make you feel bad...but I suggest you use the search function. Quite frankly, most people are tired of arguing these issues....mostly because everyone believes they have the correct recommendation because it works for them.

My recommendation....do what YOU are comfortable with.

Oh, and if you wish to ask about type of oil...I suggest the search function as well.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:26 PM

On my last run of oil I had dealership bulk conventional oil in it.

After 8400 kms (roughly 5000 miles) I wasn't confident enough in the oil to go much farther; plus the mileage was starting to drop off, so I had it changed.

The DIC said 25% oil life left, which would have taken me to about 11,000 kms (roughly 6600 miles).

I am now running Castrol Syntec 5W30 in it and will see how well that holds up for a longer run. It is my intention to run the DIC as low as I can or until fall arrives, whichever comes first.

My driving style seemed to result in a 1% drop in oil life every 110 kms/66 miles. But right now with the Syntec in there, I have gone almost 1000 kms /600 miles and the oil life has only dropped by 5%. I am guessing that the engine is fully broken in now, so I'll have to redo my figures as time goes by.

But as Snoopy said, you're going to get a lot of differing opinions on the oil change question.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Banned

For the hell of it I ran my HHR until my DIC told me to change the oil. The only reason I did it is because I had to test it for myself. The DIC didn't tell me I needed an oil change until 5% oil life. I have no idea how many miles I drove between 100% until 5%. My car didn't blow up or anything but I didn't really feel comfortable letting it get that low. I think I'll go back to my old way of changing it around 40% because that's around where I personally feel comfortable.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:58 PM

I let my HHR run at 5% (approx. 10k miles) before I changed the oil.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:02 PM

Sorry. I didn't mean to start anything. I just never had a DIC before and so went with the 3000 mile rule. Never had any trouble with it but I've owned Dodge mini vans the last 9 years too.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by johnnypatrick
I just never had a DIC before and so went with the 3000 mile rule.
Now there is no need for me to insert any DIC jokes in this thread.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HHR PNOY
I let my HHR run at 5% (approx. 10k miles) before I changed the oil.
Wow. I went 10K without an oil change. I knew I went a long time but it didn't seem like 10K. I should have paid attention to the mileage too.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:31 PM

I change my oil when it reads 50%. By then I feel the difference. I agree that everyone probably differs on this issue.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
johnnypatrick....

You're going to get a lot of "groans" over these two questions. Both have been hashed out numerous times in numerous threads.

Not trying to make you feel bad...but I suggest you use the search function. Quite frankly, most people are tired of arguing these issues....mostly because everyone believes they have the correct recommendation because it works for them.

My recommendation....do what YOU are comfortable with.

Oh, and if you wish to ask about type of oil...I suggest the search function as well.

JP
The Snoop-Man is right in what he says check the search ! But since you asked, when my DIC is at 25% I have my Oil changed & Tires rotated and thats at every 7,000 miles thats about every 2 - 3 Months as you can tell I do a lot of driving I put on 153 miles a day. So good luck in what ever you do.

Rudy (Z-Man)

Quick Reply: Tune up and oil change dates?