General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Tune up and oil change dates?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
I was pretty nervous to let it get that low to tell you the honest truth. I have never let any of my cars go that long without an oil change before. I guess I should just trust GM's engineers and change the oil when the DIC tells me to. I didn't notice any difference in the car performance wise or anything and it didn't blow up so I guess I'm safe. It's just so hard breaking old habits sometimes. I also can't forget the great GM conspiracy to screw customers and purposely design flaws in their vehicles either.
Huh that is a pretty wild thing to suggest. That the engineers at GM deliberately put problems knowingly into their vehicles. Any evidence on that?
Old 05-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Banned

It was a joke. Just playing on some comments posted about the great Satan GM over the two years since the HHR debut. I trusted GM and their engineers enough to run my vehicle without an oil change until my DIC told me to. I'm content with GM and my HHR. I have owned four GM products in my life two of which were new and I've never had a complaint with GM. If there was a problem it was taken care of.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dave C
How does one "feel the difference"
You must be much more sensitive than I.
You must be new to driving. If you don"t change the oil the engine becomes sluggish. Me sensitive
Old 05-12-2007, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by KNEZRYD
You must be new to driving. If you don"t change the oil the engine becomes sluggish. Me sensitive
That's what I also notice. It starts to engine starts to feel sluggish and my mileage starts to drop off.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:30 AM

Wix filter + 5qts. of Royal Purple 5-30 = One happy HHR driver http://www.royalpurple.com/homea/homea.html
Old 05-12-2007, 11:21 AM

I can say I never noticed a difference. Oil over its life span looses its lubricating properties and gets dirty which causes wear on the engine and its component parts. If the oil were to get so bad that you actually noticed sluggishness, I would suggest you have left it way beyond what the oil life system would tell you and you are in the territory of damaging the engine. Alternatively, something else is coincidentally is going on or, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, its in your head and you THINK you feel a difference.

If you don't change the oil periodically either in accordance with the OLS or the manufacturer's recommeded period, the engine will be more than sluggish....toast comes to mind.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:30 AM

I don't have any tech info to back this up but I'm guessing this would happen with a dirty air filter LONG before dirty oil. I'm guessing the oil would have to be WAY past the DIC change before you could notice a difference. But hey, maybe you got one of those bionic rear-ends!!

BTW, I've been driving a little while now and for the first decade or so all of my oil changes were by burning or leaking!!! No need to change when you're adding a quart a week.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:46 PM

Yeah, oil thins as it gets older, any sludge would be in the valve train area.
The first thing you`d notice would be a temp. increase, then a burning smell.
After that, the soles of your shoes start wearing out faster, cause you`re walking more.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Banned