General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Voluntary Member of THAT CLUB

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 11:06 AM

Voluntary Member of THAT CLUB

Last night around 6:30 I was drivin' to the dealership to catch up on work. The I-70 frontage road kinda winds around this small lake/pond to Medved. At night, I usually take the road about 45-50 (35 limit) and the HHR does fine. I was feelin' good about myself and thought about pressing it to 60. Ended up driving sideways for a bit, both ways, then flew off the road, through a fence, and into a ditch. A guy who saw the whole thing helped me push it out of the mud, and about an hour later Chevy Roadside got me. Luckily I was able to walk back to the dealership, grab another HHR, and just wait on I-70 for the tow truck. Unfortunately, the police got there first and were somewhat suspicious of the broken fence, tire tracks, and messed up HHR sitting the opposite way on the side of the freeway. I figured they put two and two together, so I just came right out with out. Of course, I sincerely thought I'd hydroplaned but the officer told me I'd caught the mag chloride they use on the roads. So, four points for careless driving and another four for not complying with compulsary insurance (didn't have the current insurance card on me, although I do have it) and mandatory court appearance.

Just like last time when I learned the HHR couldn't four-wheel, now I learned that the HHR isn't a rally car. But I think I've come out of this experience with a little more wisdom. Someone else could've paid dearly for my joyriding.

(This was really just an excuse to buy a billet grille.)

The pictures were taken with my cell phone. Not great quality and they don't show the damage. The right fog lamp is missing, stubby antenna gone, needs new windshield, front bumper, hood, headlights, grill, front suspension/tires/rims, mirrors, driver-side passenger door, and the right rear mudflap from getting it on the flat bed. Radiator is fine and no powertrain damage. If the tires weren't flat I woulda driven it in.

Last edited by BryceStrong; 10-19-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by BryceStrong
* messed up HHR
* four points for careless driving
* another four for not complying with compulsary insurance
* mandatory court appearance.

But I think I've come out of this experience with a little more wisdom. Someone else could've paid dearly for my joyriding.
*OUCH* That is one brutal lesson!

Glad you and all around were ok.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:45 AM

Holy crap Bryce...glad you're ok. I know exactly where you're talking about...that can be a little tricky. Question...how did the stubby get broken?

I'm going to be out and about today or tomorrow and need to come out and see you anyway. PM me and let me know when you'll be at the dealership.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:16 PM

Went out to see Bryce today...trip had already been planned as he had a cool 2006 HHR poster that had been on display at the dealership that he wanted me to have. Just like the ones in the ads with the green background and the orange HHR. So...of course, I snatched that up.

Another thing we did while I was there was go back and see his poor HHR. Since he's just got a cell phone, I took some photos with my digital camera. Here's a few of them and there is about 5 or 6 more in my album HERE.

The front bumper, drivers side fender, hood and windshield will need to be replaced for sure. What you see is not dirt, it's scratches to the paint from the fence he hit. Even broke off the stubby antenna and put some scratches on the doors and roof as well. They also think he might have some suspension damage on the front passenger side, but won't know until they start taking it apart. Body shop estimates approximately $5000 to fix as their initial estimate. I was just sick when I saw it and glad it wasn't my HHR. He's pretty bummed...but Medved does good work and they'll get it put back together like new.

Name:  BryceStrongHHR001.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  110.6 KB

Name:  BryceStrongHHR003.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  107.7 KB

Name:  BryceStrongHHR005.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  124.4 KB

Name:  BryceStrongHHR002.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  109.7 KB

Name:  BryceStrongHHR011.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  109.8 KB
Old 10-19-2006, 08:23 PM

Ouch.

Hey Bryce... a little friendly info...

Don't try that one again, ok?

Glad you're ok buddy. Glad no one else got hurt either.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:55 PM

Ouch I feel your pain. Glad you are ok.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:34 PM

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH those pics gave me bad flashbacks of rollin my first one!!! ouch!!! glad your alright bud!!!
Old 10-20-2006, 06:51 PM

note to self: next I'm feeling good about myself...(fill in the rest).
sorry about the mishap.