General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What the...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 10:07 PM

What the...?

I took my car to wal-mart to have the oil changed and they told me they couldn't do it yet because they don't have a book for 06's. Has anyone else run into this problem? As soon as I get some time i will have to look at it myself. On my last car the owners manual told how to change it, no such luck here.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by krsj10@cox.net
I took my car to wal-mart to have the oil changed and they told me they couldn't do it yet because they don't have a book for 06's. Has anyone else run into this problem? As soon as I get some time i will have to look at it myself. On my last car the owners manual told how to change it, no such luck here.
Don't take this the wrong way but why do you take you car to Walmart for service? Your first clue that it is a bad idea is that they need to book to tell them how to change the oil. The ecotec has been in the Cavalier and Sunfire since at least 03, and there is no difference to changing the oil in them than in the HHR. Undo the drain plug, drain oil, tighten drain plug. Removed oil filter lid, (it is on the left front side of the motor, you can't miss the black cover with the 1 1/4 inch socket point). Undo that lid, the filter element comes out with it, put the new one in and tighten the lid. Done. The filter housing is cast into the block, so it is just a bit different, but it actually easier after you do it once.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:41 AM
Banned

I didn't even know Walmart does oil changes. I think I would go to a quick change place before I went to Walmart. I go to my dealership because they only charge me $10. snksknr94 you left out the part about putting oil back into your engine.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:07 AM

Most dealers give the first oil change free. I think as long as your car is under warranty, it is a good idea to have it serviced by the dealer. That way if anything ever goes wrong with the car thier is a service record.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
I didn't even know Walmart does oil changes. I think I would go to a quick change place before I went to Walmart. I go to my dealership because they only charge me $10. snksknr94 you left out the part about putting oil back into your engine.

DAMMIT!! That was the first how to I've ever written and I screwed it up. Thanks Howdy!
Old 01-04-2006, 10:41 AM
Banned

You never know with some people. I would have to laugh if someone changed their oil and forgot to add oil back in.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:58 AM

Forgetting to replace the oil has unfortunately happened too often!

The worst I've done was many, many years ago. After draining the oil, changing the filter and adding the new oil, I looked to check for leaks. Found a BIG one, as evidenced by the huge oil puddle under the car!! DOH... gotta put the pan drain plug back in before filling!!
Old 01-04-2006, 11:06 AM

Hahahaha!!!!!
Old 01-04-2006, 06:34 PM

Hell, I have had this problem with a 1992 Mercury Capri at a local 20-minute oil/lube establishment! I get it done at Wal-Mart instead.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy

I've heard that sometimes Wal Mart forgets the part about putting oil back in!