General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2021, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by heathenhhr
bought Heathen a Christmas present... some clear corner chrome headlamps popped up on ebay, gods know what knockoff brand they are, they aren't Depos... but for $100, what the hell...
and I'm pretty sure I have enough Vvivid tint left to at least smoke them and get closer to the look I actually want
Curious, would love to see the link.
Old 12-25-2021, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
Gotcha. I’m going to get a four channel for the door speakers so I’m either going to get a small amp and mount it under the front passenger seat or maybe make a removable mount that fits tightly over the spare tire.
If you’re willing to do that much wiring, you could just find a subwoofer/amp assembly from and HHR w/ the Pioneer Premium speakers, could probably get the harness with it. I pulled on and just used the subwoofer and grille, bought a cheap amp just for the it, still have the OEM amp and plugs, will probably never use it.
Old 12-25-2021, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by PulpFriction
If you’re willing to do that much wiring, you could just find a subwoofer/amp assembly from and HHR w/ the Pioneer Premium speakers, could probably get the harness with it. I pulled on and just used the subwoofer and grille, bought a cheap amp just for the it, still have the OEM amp and plugs, will probably never use it.
It’s actually faster, easier and cheaper this way especially since I have an aftermarket radio. The powered sub was only $265 and took a couple of hours to put in and I can take it out even quicker. No panel removal except the spare tire cover. Not much wiring except RCAs and remote wire to the front, and because the battery is in back, power and ground are about as easy as can be. I did check out some stock stuff online but they were more expensive and more work to put in. The little amp I’m planning to put in should be as easy as the sub.
Old 12-26-2021, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
It’s actually faster, easier and cheaper this way especially since I have an aftermarket radio. The powered sub was only $265 and took a couple of hours to put in and I can take it out even quicker. No panel removal except the spare tire cover. Not much wiring except RCAs and remote wire to the front, and because the battery is in back, power and ground are about as easy as can be. I did check out some stock stuff online but they were more expensive and more work to put in. The little amp I’m planning to put in should be as easy as the sub.
Sounds good. I’m assuming you know the factory Pioneer amp powers all the speakers, not just the subwoofer.
Old 12-26-2021, 10:52 AM

Sounds good. I’m assuming you know the factory Pioneer amp powers all the speakers, not just the subwoofer.
Yup, but one of the main things about how I'm dealing with this car is that everything I add has to either be a value-adder or safety issue, otherwise it has to be able to remove easily and quickly. For example, shocks, struts and brakes obviously add value so I'm not worried about getting my money back if I sell it and the speakers were blown so I'm cool that I can't really take them out, but stuff like amps and subwoofers, which a lot of people who might be looking for a cheap car won't care about, and even the goofy stuff like splash guards and LED bulbs have to be able to come out easily. The only thing that isn't is the rear view camera which would be too much of a hassle to take out, especially since they only cost $30. I was looking at another HHR this week and I think I could have swapped everything out in about two hours, including the new steering wheel. Now my mom is expressing interest in my HHR so she definitely doesn't need that stuff if I eventually give it to her, and the stock radio definitely has to go back in - she'd never get how a touch screen radio operates!
Old 12-26-2021, 03:53 PM

Curious, would love to see the link.
there were a few listings, these were the cheapest of the bunch... looks like this listing is already no longer active

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403374409131
Old 12-26-2021, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

Finally installed the gps module on my dash cam. Now I get a compass and speedometer on screen as well as longitude and latitude and speed on the recordings which should help if anything happens and I need to prove what speed I was going to help my case.
Old 12-26-2021, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Today I took Sweetie for a relaxing drive, along back roads, to get out of the house, get some fresh air and a change of scenery.
She enjoyed the ride!
Old 12-27-2021, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lonwane
As I stated before, I am in the process of installing a steering wheel from a '06 Cobalt in my '06 HHR.
It wasn't until after the purchase was made did I notice that the Cobalt wheel does not have controls for the DIC.
'06 Cobalts have the buttons in the dashboard.
I will be installing those controls somewhere in the waterfall panel.
My current issue is not being able to find out which wires are for the DIC in my HHR steering wheel.
Does anyone (Donbrew) have a wiring diagram for the steering wheel wires?
Going tomorrow to find and remove the DIC buttons from a Cobalt.
I'm trying to get everything together before I start the swap.
Here is a picture of the schematic for the DIC buttons from my 2006 service manual:

Looks like only one pin is for the DIC control output (pin 7 on the DIC/Cruise switch) and pin 3 is ground. So you would only need to run one wire to the new DIC control spot, with a second wire going to ground. Are you going to wire the Cobalt wheel Cruise buttons to run your HHR cruise?

Here is a schematic showing the cruise button wiring on the HHR:

Hope this helps.
Steve

Old 12-27-2021, 12:41 AM
Premium Member

Washed all the sheets in my car bed. Move Milwaukee tool backpack from passenger foot area to behind driver seat since I figured out sleeping slanted (head at back driver side and feet behind passenger side seat) allows me to sleep with my legs all the way stretched out. Moving the tool backpack also won't block the passenger speaker anymore. Thinking about cutting the driver side half of the memory foam mattress out so I can put my sub back in. I'll just have to move passenger seat forward more to stretch my legs all the way. Bonus will be more hard floor storage with seat backs and cargo area bare and solid.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?