General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 12:38 PM

Did rear drums and shoes & hardware. Figured that at 200K they should finally be due. Probably could have gotten about another 15K out of them. Low pedal, will have to adjust them tomorrow. Old bones need some rest.
(and I still hate drum brakes. Can I adjust them on the ground with wheel on, or too tight?)
Old 02-11-2022, 01:55 PM
Administrator

You need to be able to turn the drum to adjust the brake shoes, so jack t up remove the wheel and adjust.

Today was a chill day, just stayed home , didn’t touch the HHR.
Old 02-11-2022, 04:18 PM
Premium Member

Crossed over 183k.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Oldblue
You need to be able to turn the drum to adjust the brake shoes, so jack t up remove the wheel and adjust.

Today was a chill day, just stayed home , didn’t touch the HHR.
Blue- Interesting, I always adjust my drums with wheels on, but off the ground (of course) & on jackstands..

Mine slept peacefully today.

Old 02-12-2022, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Sleeper, different strokes for different folks, the reason I remove the tire and wheel to adjust the rear drum brakes is to be able to inspect the shoes drum friction surface and adjuster, I usually adjust about 4 or 5 clicks on the adjuster star wheel, then slide on the brake drum.

Today, a couple of errands to run, a short drive in the country, a change of scenery from Sweetie’s mental health, she’s ok, but struggling with cold air and her breathing. I’m going to make sure I warm up the BlackSwan before we head out!
Old 02-12-2022, 08:57 AM

Well did the drum adjusters. Good pedal again. Also kinda glad I did the job, RR tire is f'd!
Safe to say those clip washers between the drum and wheel on the lugs are just to hold the drum on while changing a tire and semi-optional? (Left one side off yesterday, but replaced today while I was in there.

2 minor things I love about this car is rear windows go ALL the way down, and no hood prop rod.
Old 02-12-2022, 01:09 PM
Premium Member

Drove about 60 miles round trip, on a two-lane and occasionally curvy country road, to go sofa shopping. Enjoyed the drive, found a sofa we like, and headed home. It will be made in 8 to 10 weeks. Apparently that’s pretty quick for furniture these days!

The weather is beautiful, 70 and sunny today. Snow predicted for tomorrow.

edit: I also like that the rear windows go all the way down and the hood doesn’t need a prop.
Old 02-12-2022, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Sleeper, different strokes for different folks, the reason I remove the tire and wheel to adjust the rear drum brakes is to be able to inspect the shoes drum friction surface and adjuster, I usually adjust about 4 or 5 clicks on the adjuster star wheel, then slide on the brake drum.

Today, a couple of errands to run, a short drive in the country, a change of scenery from Sweetie’s mental health, she’s ok, but struggling with cold air and her breathing. I’m going to make sure I warm up the BlackSwan before we head out!
Blue- I understand, but I'm not putting many miles on mine. I adjust / check @ every yearly oil change / service I do. So every few years will I pull drums etc.

Originally Posted by haX0r
Well did the drum adjusters. Good pedal again. Also kinda glad I did the job, RR tire is f'd!
Safe to say those clip washers between the drum and wheel on the lugs are just to hold the drum on while changing a tire and semi-optional? (Left one side off yesterday, but replaced today while I was in there.
(snip) no hood prop rod.
Yea forget about those clips. My drums never move unless I want them to.

Originally Posted by Matz
Drove about 60 miles round trip, on a two-lane and occasionally curvy country road, to go sofa shopping. Enjoyed the drive, found a sofa we like, and headed home. It will be made in 8 to 10 weeks. Apparently that’s pretty quick for furniture these days!

The weather is beautiful, 70 and sunny today. Snow predicted for tomorrow.

edit: I also like that the rear windows go all the way down and the hood doesn’t need a prop.
Rear windows ? Musta been an option I didn't get ...
Old 02-13-2022, 11:13 AM
Premium Member

Just finished replacing the 'clockspring' and turn signal multi-switch in SISU.
Took all of 1 hour, although, I did practice at the junkyard.
Turn signal self cancellers work again.
I'm a happy camper.
Also found a 'cold air' intake.
Bought it and painted to match car color.
Just need a new filter and I will give it a try.

Old 02-13-2022, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Today, a trip to the store for laundry supplies, it’s just 14 F out there, the BlackSwan warmed up quickly and the ride was smooth and quiet!

Nice score Lonwane!

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?