General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What would be a mid to low end after market sound system for HHR?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 06:56 PM

What would be a mid to low end after market sound system for HHR?

Okay, my HHR's got the base 1LT radio sound system. Even though I'm not a sound system enthusiast (The Delco-Bose Gold system in my Vette was perfectly fine with me...) I have to admit this base HHR sound system lacks depth and fidelity pretty badly. So I'm looking to upgrade it but not spend more than $500 including professional installation. I definitely do not want a sub woofer box, I'm not that into it. I just want a better head unit and better speakers, all utilizing the factory wiring. I just want to be able to crank it up to moderate levels and get some good highs and lows, but don't need to thump my bones nor shatter a window-- just good tight bass and clear highs, with steady mid range when its turned up.

It needs to look good in the dash, too, i.e. good fit.

I listen to mainly 70's, 80's, 90's rock and pop.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:24 PM

well, if you ask a audio guru, you'll end up spending 3x your budget.

I bought a Pioneer DEH-series stereo in 2000. It is a single disk, detachable HU with 75w per channel...guess what? I have NO idea what that means.
I DO know that in my 1996 Mercury Grand Marquis...it didnt sound any better than stock. But when I sold that car, I installed it in my 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII with Premium JBL 8 speaker sound system...it sounded phenominal. I added in a single 12" Infinity subwoofer and JL Audio amp...and sure, it can rattle my license plate, but when "tuned" it sounds perferct. enough bass to make regular music sound clear, and symphonic.

I did the same thing in my 97 Mark VIII...moved the single sub to that car, and installed a JVC double-din(large square size) head unit with am/fm, cassette, single CD, and mp3 jack...that car also has the JBL...and it sounds amazing.

to remedy your sound system's problem, you will probably have to buy a decent($300) head unit, a wiring kit, and new door speakers front and rear. I would definately consider something that is XM or Sirius 'ready' in case you wish to add satellite radio later.

I just installed a $240 Pioneer in my friend's Mark VIII with the JBL...similar to my stereo, lower price, same performance, and crystal-clear sound....

You say you dont want a subwoofer, but unless you have never had one, once you did, and then go without, you really miss it. You can buy a $125 "bazooka" for the back...they are easily removable, and provide enough bass sound to help make good music sound great.

My advice would be to go to an audio store, and look for a package deal. i.e. buy this head unit, and get these speakers free-type of thing.

as for which brand...everyone will tell you different.
I have less than $600 in my Lincolns....and it's louder than I would ever need....ever. But my Lincolns came with JBL sound...which means the speakers have their own amp, and that helps make the aftermarket unit sound better. I didnt need to direct-wire new speakers. You probably will.

My HHR came with the premium sound, and so far, I am happy with it...enough that I have been able to fight temptation of installing my 2x10" Kicker subs in the back. But the stock head unit works great, and the steering controls are a blessing.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:29 PM

Of course...if you want to go with something of the higher-end...this set up is quite nice...AND comes with everything except better speakers.

another $200, and you've exceeded your budget, but you will have quite a nice set up.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/deleted-threads-41/kenwood-pnav6019-double-din-radio-w-navigation-12789/
Old 01-27-2008, 11:31 AM

I fully intend to replace all the factory speakers, I know they're probably crap. But to save on installation expense I'd like for the new aftermarket speakers to use the factory wiring. Re-wiring for the new speakers would probably add a lot to the bill plus risk tearing up some of the interior panels in my HHR, depending on skill of the installer.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:36 AM

Also, isn't there something tricky about putting aftermarket systems in the HHR, due to the HHR's BCM (Body Control Module) computer?... thought I read a thread somewhere on something similar to that once...(?)
Old 01-27-2008, 12:21 PM

I thought people just used a wiring harness adapter made by some aftermarket companies such as Scosche...if that's the case, it just splices on the aftermarket HU's wires/plug to one end of the kit, and that plugs right in to the factory harness.

I dont know about the HHR since I havent explored it, but on my other cars, I just bought the wiring harness adapter. Something like this:

http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID.../productID/290

I am hoping someone will chime in who can give you a definate answer...I am no audio guru...just sharing what experiences I have encountered on other model cars.

I dont know if the factory GM harness is ribbon style, or what.

as for howto hook new speakers to existing OE speaker plug-ins, there may also be a kit for that...a "plug-n-play" type thing.

www.scosche.com is where I'd look
they sell harnesses, dash kits, speaker adapters, etc
Old 01-27-2008, 05:02 PM

You have to buy a module so all your chimes still work, plus the harness, antenna adaptor and an installation kit. I paid $150 at Best Buy when I put a Nav unit in my Colorado.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:55 PM

cool. I noticed that Scosche sells ALL that stuff. Granted, so do other places...but at least you can have a peek and get some cost ideas.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:11 AM

if you want to keep you chimes and stuff then yea your gonna have to dish out a few more bucks, but at the same time if you ever wanna go back to stock or install easy for that matter, then get a harness. as for me, i hard wired it in. lil more time consuming, and i got rid of the chimes but i saved about $20-25 bucks right there. all i really spend on was the install kit and the ant. adapter. you really don't need anything out of this world. anything else is better than stock, at least thats what i hear...get it "hear" ha ha ha ha ...ok sorry bad joke. anyways, yea you can pick up a simple pioneer h.u. for about $150. then replacing the front and rear speakers about another $150 more or less. if you do the work thats some mo cash you save on.