General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

what would you replace your HHR with?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 09:10 AM
Administrator

My choice of S10 body style

https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...ckup/101049988
Old 07-21-2019, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

Blue- Cool, that one has been on eBay for long time... I had a 1st gen, but mine was an 85 long bed so I lifted it & put on 31" tires.

I do prefer the 2nd gens, my 98 short box. I lowered 3" in F & 5" in R, but added 3/4 ton air shocks & Air compressor behind the seat, so i could load bikes easy, then hit the button on my dash, raise to to level & hit the road.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:56 PM

GM has just announced a one week shut down of the Ingersol plant that makes the Equinox due to soft sales. More shut downs expected in the 4th quarter. The Mexican plant that also makes the Equinox is down to 2 shifts from 3.

In an over saturated segment of the market, why would you buy an Equinox when there are so many alternatives? The vehicle just does not stand out from the crowd. May less expensive alternatives, many with more bang for the buck, many that haven't shuttered plants all together and laid of thousands of workers, creating a PR issue.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

How about a 2020 C8 mid-engine Vette...,.. Nope, they are all sold out..
Old 08-02-2019, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Jim, if someone doesn’t buy an Equinox those plants will remain closed, I agree the model isn’t as outstanding as an HHR , but nice just the same.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Jim, if someone doesn’t buy an Equinox those plants will remain closed, I agree the model isn’t as outstanding as an HHR , but nice just the same.
You are absolutely correct in that if no one buys them the plants will remain closed, and not enough people are buying them. Why? Because it's just another bland vehicle in an ocean of beige. There are too many vehicles in the segment and the Equinox does not stand out from the crowd in any way (That C pillar is really ugly IMO). On top of that, GM, particularly in Canada, has put off the consumers by virtually closing down the Oshawa plant. A plant that has been winning awards for their innovation and productivity for years. One of their best, worldwide. This, on top of 4 plants in the USA I believe.

The Detroit 3 are abandoning sedans and cars in general for trucks, SUV's, and Hybrid/Electric vehicles. This will leave the market solely to the other marques. A big mistake, the trend will eventually come around to other vehicles, and if you are not making and developing them, every other brand will, and will be in a much better position to take advantage of the market. Honda, Toyota, Kia, Hyundai, etc. will only gain sales from this move, while GM, Ford, and Fiat/Chrysler will continue to decline.

On a humourous side note: I think someone mentioned that Chrysler couldn't make a car that is less reliable. Chrysler said "Hold my beer" and got in bed with Fiat....lol.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:28 PM
Administrator

GM dealers had Toyota stores next to their lots back in the 60’s , kinda directed the consumer right into them.
cinch a sale if the Guy was ready to walk.
I’m well aware of the decline of the automotive industry here in Canada,
the plants are closing , Ford just announced cut backs on production.
My next door neighbour was in financial trouble when the plant I worked at closed ,
he worked for GM but he drove a Lexus , he had joked , he knew the guys that build GM’s
my view was and still is buy what you want, listen to Sheryl Crow, If it makes you Happy it can’t be that bad.
and that other saying if you make a product, show your pride in your work , buy what you build.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Ditto...........
Old 08-06-2019, 09:22 AM

G6

Originally Posted by Blue_SS
No one else addressed this, so I will make a try. That hard top was terrible to fit in production.

However, most convertible hardtops, this one included, have done OK in the real world (once it's actually aligned with proper clearances). The running gear is circa 2005 Chevy Blazer. It has limitations, although parts are readily available.
Cool vehicle, but don't overpay.

Blazer SS is probably cheaper and has no unexpected water leaks in your future. Daily driving an SSR seems iffy. Don't know if you have have snow and ice, but that would give me pause in Michigan.
The Saab 9-7x was the best of those vehicles and it came with a V8 as an option. There weren't many of them, but that would be a cool choice for a daily.

EDIT: I see you are in Indy. A folding hard top in winter is iffy. If it stays closed all winter, it might be OK. Open it once, and you could run into fit/leak issues. My opinion only. On the other hand, I know people with G6 folding hardtops with no problems in the Detroit area, too.
I’ve had my G6 hardtop Convertible for a over a year and a half, no issues what so ever with the top. Tight and dry inside, been through two winters so far with it and the key is lubricating everything at least twice a year and use Dielectric grease on all the rubber seals.
i believe the same company that designed the SSR top designed the G6 top.
I looked into buying an SSR before I got my G6. Cheapest SSR I found within 100 miles was $19K, I got my G6 for around $4K.

on a side note I purchased a 2016 Equinox LT with AWD and the 3.6V6. We love it as our trip vehicle. Drives and rides great. Had 30,000 miles on it when we got it, now has 44,000 miles and it’s been totally trouble free. Gets 29-30 mpg on the highway.
The V6 was a must, I don’t like the new ones dropped the V6 option.

Last edited by HHRman07; 08-06-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:35 PM

I like the black stripes on your G6, Bet they would look good on your Equinox....john

Quick Reply: what would you replace your HHR with?