General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Where to get a crank pulley key?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 10:45 AM
Administrator

I just ran a search for the other 2 part numbers , both show obsolete and no longer available
Old 10-01-2022, 02:43 PM

When I lost the belt tensioner bolt, I walked into the dealer and had one in my hand in 2 minutes. It took longer to pay for it than to drive there and get it.

If it is important and urgent, why not waste a couple of minutes asking instead of relying on some randos on the internet (that have access to exactly the same search tools you have)? Is it really that painful;?
Old 10-01-2022, 03:35 PM
Administrator

What and take all our fun away??
Old 10-01-2022, 09:19 PM

It's a PIA (pain in rear) item to lose a small vital piece like that. Sometimes the dealer is the fastest solution. Can a woodruff key be more than $10? Fuel costs more to go get it.
I have many many bags of extra HEI GM distributor cap screws in the toolbox drawer. Too easy to drop.

Oh well keep your heads up and smiling this day.
Old 10-02-2022, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by donbrew
So, not important enough to try.
Chevy, Buick, GMC, Cadillac.
I have owned GM vehicles my whole life. I have been to a dealer 2 times in all that time (I'm in my mid 60s). Dealers, at least in my experience are over priced, do all they can to belittle women who come in knowing exactly what part they need, and when the woman insists on the part because she knows it's correct, they are generally rude while they look it up, ask stupid questions to see if she knows why she needs it. Most times I know more about the mechanics of a vehicle than the parts guy does anyway, having done my own repairs since I was 15. I usually search Ebay, or Amazon. or Rock Auto or even Oreilly and Advance Auto. If I didn't have an urgent need for the part, as I explained in my first post, I'd have just ordered one from GM parts online (if it's even listed). I am relying on my son to do the work because I no longer can due to health issues. He has limited time due to his work schedule. So yeah, the dealers can go jump in the lake, I'll cut a key from flat stock before I go to one of those guys.

I think I'll buy the GM service manual for my 2010 HHR and see if it lists all the part numbers. That way I won't irritate you so bad when I try to get a quick answer without going to a dealership
Old 10-02-2022, 04:56 PM
Administrator

No need to spend the money, they don’t have the part numbers. You can just ask us here.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:52 PM

Irritated? Not me, I got nothing better to do. I just don't understand why someone won't even try the obvious. I'm not the one that needs the part urgently. I hate my local Chevy dealer, too. I go to the Buick dealer for what I need. I don't know how a Woodruff key could cost more than $10. How much does it cost to have a dead car?
I'm afraid to suggest you call a local machine shop, that would be too obvious. There are only so many sizes of Woodruff keys.
You could get your micrometer out and measure the depth, width, length and mating height then go to the local metal fabrication shop an get them to cut or print one.
You could go to your local Pull-A-Part and buy a harmonic balancer from any 4 cylinder EcoTec engine and pocket the key.
I don't know what good having a GM part number would do if you refuse to deal with them. You already have that number.
Helminc.com is the publisher of the shop manual. Have fun recovering from the heart attack when you see the price.
There are several online GM parts dealers out there most have good parts catalogs to find part numbers
Old 10-02-2022, 11:21 PM
Premium Member

AngieK,
you can't irritate us.
We are mostly in our 60's or more and have many stories to tell about the dealerships we have dealt with.
We will always offer advice when we are asked, and if not heeded, that's not our issue.
As stated in the above posts, there are many ways to get one NOW, and many ways to get one later.
Personally, I like visiting my local auto recycling facility when I need a part like that.
Hope you can get it fixed
Old 10-03-2022, 09:37 AM
Premium Member

Thanks guys, I did actually end up at the dealer for the key, and because USPS lost the bolt for a while, I bought one of those too. Sadly they aren't in stock at the dealer so I have to wait until tomorrow. But they will have them for me some time after 8 am and I can pick them up. If this bolt wasn't one time use and torque to yield, I'd have just re-used the one I have. I'll let you guys know if the engine was damaged when the pulley backed off. It remains to be seen if it's ok after all the racket it made when all the oil flew out of the cover.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Check the oil pump in the front cover and replace the seal

Quick Reply: Where to get a crank pulley key?