General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

where are the running boards?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Firewatcher
Running boards are a dealer installed option. Hopefully they have them stored away or something. I would hate to see anyone living in a snowy area purchase an HHR without boards.

I am one of those people that found out about 2 weeks AFTER I got my HHR that snow brings sand that chews up my car! My car came without Running Boards.
When I showed the dealer....they said to buy running boards.....ya....I have another $500+ and another however much for installation. GRRRR!
It is the ONLY thing I truly DO NOT LIKE about my car!
Old 03-24-2007, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by HeavenlyAngel
I am one of those people that found out about 2 weeks AFTER I got my HHR that snow brings sand that chews up my car! My car came without Running Boards.
When I showed the dealer....they said to buy running boards.....ya....I have another $500+ and another however much for installation. GRRRR!
It is the ONLY thing I truly DO NOT LIKE about my car!
I honestly don't understand why the dealers don't instal running boards more than they do, or tell the customer what could happen if they don't. After all, they are making money from selling running boards and installing them. I visited my local dealer again the other day, and once again most did not have running boards. I just don't get it. One problem (at least at my local dealer) is the salesmen don't know the product they are trying to sell. I knew more about the HHR after ONE day of research than my salesman. I really feel for those who buy an HHR not knowing of the problems they are in for without the running boards.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

You answered the question of your first sentence, in the last sentence !!!
Old 03-25-2007, 11:54 AM

So are you able to get the dealer to install running boards if you find the HHR you want but it does not come from the factory with them?

Goose
Old 03-25-2007, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Z-Man
I would never purchase a vehicle with out running Boards unless it was a Car, but then again I will never purchase a car again in my life time.

Rudy

I'm sorry, but the HHR is a car. No matter how GM tries to spin it, it is still a car. Even if you consider the HHR a station wagon, I have never seen a station wagon with running boards before either.

If GM knows there is a problem, which they do, they should try to fix the problem for the existing customers who were uninformed. If they don't want to put running boards on the HHR as standard, then they should at least inform the customer at the time of purchase. If the customer decides to still not get the running boards, then have them sign a disclaimer so that GM is released from any liability.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:16 PM

I bought my HHR w/o the boards, not knowing at the time about the sandblasting issue. When I found out about it I mentioned it to the dealer and they wanted to charge me retail price for the boards, plus install. I told them had I know about the issue when I purchased the car, I would have held out for the boards before purchasing the car. They then agreed to sell me the boards at the factory option price of $445 and charged me $100 to install them.

To those of you who have not purchased your HHR yet, I might suggest that you make the sale contingent on the boards being installed at the factory option price (painted) and no charge for labor. Go ahead and buy the car...but get it in writing that they will install them at no extra charge at a date in the near future. That way if you are financing the car, the cost of the boards can be included in the amount financed.

If they don't want to do that, I'd tell them you'll be looking elsewhere until you find a dealer who can accomodate you.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
To those of you who have not purchased your HHR yet, I might suggest that you make the sale contingent on the boards being installed at the factory option price (painted) and no charge for labor. Go ahead and buy the car...but get it in writing that they will install them at no extra charge at a date in the near future. That way if you are financing the car, the cost of the boards can be included in the amount financed.

If they don't want to do that, I'd tell them you'll be looking elsewhere until you find a dealer who can accomodate you.
Very good advise. I would strongly suggest the same thing. I was lucky and bought a 2LT HHR with running boards already installed. I didn't know about the problem until after my car was bought. When looking at the cars I wanted the running boards becouse I liked the way they looked. Given the problems I am shocked so many HHRs are still being sold without boards. How can the dealers/salesmen not know about the problem and suggest running boards be installed to prevent damage?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:57 PM

look at my sig.... thats what I have lol
Old 03-25-2007, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by O6ChevyHHR
look at my sig.... thats what I have lol
Did you ever have an HHR and why not anymore?

I'm sure there is something about it somewhere but I'm fairly new here

Goose