General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

windshield stone chips

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:41 PM

windshield stone chips

Does anyone else have a problem with the windshield and getting stone chips so easy?

I have got two chips in the last two weeks. F'n pot hole in the roads don't help. My wife told me I drive to close to the car in front and I told her bull*****. She was in the car for the second one and we mus have been better then 30 feet back and got another one.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:06 PM

The HHR does have a reputation for having soft glass. Knock on wood, I don't have any chips, but my windshield is full of pits. Looks like it has been sandblasted. In a way I guess it has.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:41 PM

Mine has quite a few chips and pits in it as well. I contribute them to glass that is becoming cheaper and cheaper and the angle of the windshield. If you get a big chip though most insurance companies will repair them FOC if the glass isn't cracked.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:26 PM

i have noticed after having my hhr for almost 14 months, the pits in the windshield...... i dont think i have ever had a car with the pits this things has....... i noticed it over the months but today after washing, and it being a really sunny day, that in the direct sunlight wow alot of those pits.....
Old 12-31-2008, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by mizzouHHR
The HHR does have a reputation for having soft glass. Knock on wood, I don't have any chips, but my windshield is full of pits. Looks like it has been sandblasted. In a way I guess it has.
It is not just the HHR but every car.

The new glass today looks like it pits more? Can't say it is softer glass or tht we drive faster anymore. I know they are making glass thinner to save weight.

I have already had two windshields in my GTP and 3 in my old GMC.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:24 PM

I have been lucky too, and have not had any stone chips so far. I think the only thing you can do is drive defensively to avoid situations that cause them. Following too close to the car or truck in front of you can result in damage. Also if I see a dump truck or gravel truck out on the highway I get away from it immediately. Also try and dirve in the center of the lane. I noticed on a long drive last year that after rain or snow if the car in front of me got a foot to either side of the lane, tons of debris started to pelt the car I was in. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by TkHHR
I have been lucky too, and have not had any stone chips so far. I think the only thing you can do is drive defensively to avoid situations that cause them. Following too close to the car or truck in front of you can result in damage. Also if I see a dump truck or gravel truck out on the highway I get away from it immediately. Also try and dirve in the center of the lane. I noticed on a long drive last year that after rain or snow if the car in front of me got a foot to either side of the lane, tons of debris started to pelt the car I was in. Just my 2 cents worth.

same here..... but with that said.... over the time it does look like its been sand blasted as a result pit city
Old 12-31-2008, 02:27 PM

My HHR had its windshield replaced. A very small chip at the edge of the windshield turned into a long crack across the center of the drivers side.

Windshied replacement has been my major insurance claim in my 40+ years of driving. At least three of my cars have had the front glass replaced. One claim for when a deer hit a rear quarter panel many years ago on my 76 Nova.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:28 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by TkHHR
Also if I see a dump truck or gravel truck out on the highway I get away from it immediately.
I got caught behind one of these dump trucks that had been carrying gravel, and the experience was not an enjoyable one!

Had no choice but to be behind it, as we were on a single lane ramp from one highway to another. I kept a reasonable amount of distance behind it to start with. First came a few pebbles, could not tell if they had been kicked up from the road or the truck itself, so I had started to back off quite a bit. But not fast enough!! The truck hit a bump in the road and it looked as if someone turned on a shower from the tailgate!! Now along w/ all the chips that the were caused by this, the windshield is full of pits!!