General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Wrecked... But will be repaired :-)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 04:48 PM

Wrecked... But will be repaired :-)

So as a few of you know, the long battle off waiting on a motor was over. Was smoothing things out that had went bad fof siting idle for 4 years. Then BAM hit head on at a turn.

Finally almost a week later, they have gotten us the police report so we can start getting somewhere with the car. Weve already told them, we want the car back (it will be salvage titled)... SOO i guess lets get this show on the road...

How hard is it to replace, air bags, both front. Also where are the air bag sensors? I know for a fact that will need replaced...

Also will have to find a bumper cover from a scrap yard... can you put an SS bumper cover on a LS?

While tearing into it all, ill still fix the AC issue when I get to it...

Old 05-31-2018, 05:14 PM
Technical Moderator

Replacing the airbags and sensors is easy to do. I made several hundred dollars doing it myself. The rub is that the battery must be disconnected for 30 minutes before you touch anything. DON'T pay retail; check out online GM stores, when I did it I found one that had $8.95 flat shipping and most of the parts cost $100 less than retail.

I assume that only the front sensor went off, that is on the rad support behind the hood latch. You will also need to replace the SDM (airbag brain); it lives behind the gear shift and either needs to be new and programmed, or sent off for programming.

Bumper cover; yes but you also need a SS grill. There are several threads here about that.

The insurance company will give you a repair estimate that includes part numbers.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:34 PM

they are totaling out old "lola", i planed on using eBay and Rock auto. From what we can see so far, only part of the frame damage is metal bumper support. Im searching the forums for things to do while doing all of the repairs. I know there is radio buttons you can add to steering wheel, figured if im in steering wheel might as well add em.

for the computer, Heath and Shane both have the Snap On computers that allow you to reset everything, Heath already said he has the program to do it, may just owe him a beer or pack of 9mm ammo.

also trying to stick with ACDECLO brand unless there is other brands i should be looking at.

the battery, yeah i planned on just disconnecting it period as soon as we drop it in front of the garage.

tia
Old 05-31-2018, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Send a PM off to Hellshotrod, he parts out HHR’s , David’s a great guy, busy , so be patient!
Old 05-31-2018, 06:19 PM

buddy has this, said it came from 06, should replace steering wheel stuff, lol he keeps finding everything used or laying around his garage, itll make this a cheap on me rebuild.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:10 PM
Technical Moderator

Don't get ahead of yourself. The estimate will have all of the part numbers on it. The airbag parts all need to come from GM. When I needed them they were about $330 each retail about $200 wholesale. I got better deal from the GM dealer on line than eBay had YMMV.

You will also need new front seatbelts and the plastic covers probably broke (covers are optional). I advise against used explosive devices (disclaimer).
Old 05-31-2018, 07:23 PM

havent gotten anything yet, he just said he had HHR parts laying around from a previous build and they were never used.

front driver seat belt, i did notice it was hanging out the door really bad when it got loaded onto the roll back.

FYI the older gentlemen in the picture is not me, that was the guy who called 911 cause he heard the "explosion" in his house over his TV and AC, then saw our daughter screaming and running around in panic mode.

they did end up citing the lady for improper yielding... but not speeding or anything else.

i have found the video that walks through how to do the airbag change for HHR on you tube. also found the thread to do the ss front bumper swap w/ grille. thread to do the audio controls. im still searching and reading on the passenger side airbag replacement.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:08 PM
Administrator

RockAuto has LS/LT bumpers and SS, but the prices

Old 05-31-2018, 08:37 PM
Technical Moderator

The seat belts have a charge in them to tighten them up when the airbags deploy.

The "radio controls on steering wheel" thread has pictures on removing the driver airbag.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

I believe only the 2LT models have ALL the steering wheel buttons, mine is loaded on both sides w/buttons. Gotta love that stuff.

Taking your time & doing your research will save you even more. I'm thinking yours does NOT have ABS ?

Quick Reply: Wrecked... But will be repaired :-)