GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

Any Recall on HHR Steel Fuel Line

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 08:55 AM

Any Recall on HHR Steel Fuel Line

Greetings:
i own a 2008 HHR LT, 2.4 liter, 4 speed manual tranny. She currently has 98,000 showing on her clock. She’s a daily driver but still looks good & I still love her. A few weeks ago I began noticing what I believed to be a drop in fuel economy. She was running fine, no misses, stalls, spits or sputters. None the less, my mpg has deminished to about 20mpg. Then, I started detecting an aroma of raw gasoline permeating the air when I would park the vehicle. I dismissed it as probably coming from the fuel canister under the vehicle. Now my check engine light has started illuminating on my dashboard. When I got home from work yesterday, I noticed a bit of spotting on my driveway where I park. It appeared that something had been leaking from the rear of the car. I backed her up onto some car ramps for an inspection. What I found was some badly rusted fuel lines at the area close to the left rear wheel where they make the bend away from the frame rail, upwards toward the fuel tank. At that location, there is a factory installed insulation wrap around the fuel/transmission lines combo where they traverse close to the exhaust pipe going to the muffler. My guess is that salt & moisture residue has collected over the years in that insulating material & has corroded through the fuel lines. My question is: Are there any recalls on the fuel line system on our beloved HHR’s?

If not, she’s still a keeper & I will have her repaired. I have since disconnected the (-) battery terminal so the fuel pump can not be re-energized & I’ll have her towed over to the repair shop for the necessary repairs. But if this has happened to mine, I would be willing to bet there are others out there who are having the same situation occurring on theirs. I strongly suggest any & all HHR owners to either inspect their fuel lines for signs of corrosion, especially in areas where the lines are wrapped with the insulating wrap, or have them inspected by a qualified repair person. These lines are under pressure when the ignition is turned on & the fuel can just spew out of the line(s). A definite fire/explosion hazard!!!
I have looked for related postings prior to posting this, but found none. Please forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere & I simply neglected to see it. Thanks for your attention. Sincerely, QDMG.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

No recalls on HHR fuel lines.

P.S. Your car is a 5 speed if it's a manual. The automatics are 4 speeds.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
No recalls on HHR fuel lines.

P.S. Your car is a 5 speed if it's a manual. The automatics are 4 speeds.

Yes, you are correct sir. It is indeed a 5 speed. I suppose I’m still reeling from the effects of inhaling raw gasoline vapors...
Thank you for your quick response, it’s greatly appreciated. As I reflect back on this experience I realize just how fortunate I am that I did not have a fire as a result of this fuel line situation. It surely could have been a much uglier outcome. After I posted the initial post, I saw the list of related prior posts. One read something to the effect that the two options available for this issue were to either replace the effected lines or scrap the vehicle. I’m hoping replacing the lines don’t prove to be cost prohibitive.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:10 AM
Technical Moderator

Splicing in a section of line should not cost more than $20 (a short piece of pipe and 2 compression fittings or a short piece of hose and 2 hose clamps), Even full replacement of both lines isn't that much parts about $180 maybe 2-3 hours labor (I don't know why you would). I have never heard of anyone wanting to junk a car for such a small repair.

Seems like you are looking for problems.' If you feel so fortunate, don't you think you would hear about HHR's bursting into flames daily? I haven't heard of one, that would be reason for a recall.

Remember when all 10 year old cars were in junk yards? In 1965 you could not find a running all original '57 Chevy.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:37 PM

Mine rusted out in the same place. The shop I deal with replaced it with copper. Replacing it with steel OEM would have required dropping the gas tank to get access and the copper could be bent up and installed with much less cost in labour.

Yes.....I know copper will work harden with time. I also know of hot rods that have the same copper line on it that was installed 20 years ago.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Splicing in a section of line should not cost more than $20 (a short piece of pipe and 2 compression fittings or a short piece of hose and 2 hose clamps), Even full replacement of both lines isn't that much parts about $180 maybe 2-3 hours labor (I don't know why you would). I have never heard of anyone wanting to junk a car for such a small repair.

Seems like you are looking for problems.' If you feel so fortunate, don't you think you would hear about HHR's bursting into flames daily? I haven't heard of one, that would be reason for a recall.

Remember when all 10 year old cars were in junk yards? In 1965 you could not find a running all original '57 Chevy.
thank you so much for chiming I’m on this one for me guys. It’s reassuring to know this isn’t such an odd problem after all. Upon first inspection as I was looking under the car, I was somewhat concerned that the molded plastic retaining parts & the fuel line connections would be nearly impossible to deal with. Do you think the full replacement of the lines would require a lift to get toe vehicle up high enough to allow access needed to complete the job? I’m considering attempting doing the job myself but I may be better having a professional shop do it if a lift is required. Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:46 PM
Administrator

No lift required, a jack and jack stands, a replacement line kit,
there are many available, no recall , just like some of my old cars the line corrodes because of the fuel contents.
mine took 5 hours , the clip brackets pop apart fairly easily, if you are going to order new RockAuto gives us a discount.

Nowanout using copper line , yes great for a carb fuel system with a low 4 to 6 lbs of pressure, however our little trucklets run at close to 60 PSI fuel pressure.

This is popular

https://www.linestogo.com/hhr-fuel-l...fl255-c1a-set/

this kit kit will do nicely also
Old 10-20-2018, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew

Originally Posted by Oldblue
No lift required, a jack and jack stands, a replacement line kit,
there are many available, no recall , just like some of my old cars the line corrodes because of the fuel contents.
mine took 5 hours , the clip brackets pop apart fairly easily, if you are going to order new RockAuto gives us a discount.

Nowanout using copper line , yes great for a carb fuel system with a low 4 to 6 lbs of pressure, however our little trucklets run at close to 60 PSI fuel pressure.

This is popular

https://www.linestogo.com/hhr-fuel-l...fl255-c1a-set/

this kit kit will do nicely also
thanks Old blue, do you need to drop the fuel tank for access to the line connection? Also, is the intake connection accessible from under the vehicle or from under the hood? Thx.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:40 PM
Administrator

No I didn’t drop the tank , but wished I did this when I had the tank down three months earlier to change the fuel pump.
Yes, the fuel fitting s are accessible under the hood, you must remove the stock air cleaner.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:29 AM
Technical Moderator

You could just cut the rotten bit out and put a bubble flare on the ends stick some high pressure fuel line with fuel line clamps on it call it a day, 1 cold brew, one loaner flare tool, 1 mini pipe cutter, 1 pair of pliers, 1 screwdriver, 2 spring clamps,6 inches of fuel line.

The usually only rust at the brackets and insulation.

Last edited by donbrew; 10-21-2018 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Any Recall on HHR Steel Fuel Line