GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

GM NEEDS to put a recall on the vacuum pump assist problem!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 02:38 PM

GM NEEDS to put a recall on the vacuum pump assist problem!

Once again I go to get in my car like a normal person and because I didn't wait long enough for it to start and warm up like we're in the 1940s, I backed out of the parking spot and had no power brakes. GM needs to do an official recall because I cannot afford to go dump the money on the vacuum pump and it is a safety hazard. Those of us that still have this problem should not have to pay for it. It is not a repair is a blatant safety issue GM drop the ball on
Old 03-28-2014, 02:58 PM
Technical Moderator

Have you talked to a dealer? There was a TSB and maybe a mini-recall a few years ago.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:10 PM

The dealer saw the bulletin but nothing about any recall.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member

From what I remember(this issue started back with the 1st SS's in 2008) GM did have a TSB and "special service fix" for this problem. Vacuum assist pumps were installed for those with automatic transmissions that were experiencing braking problems at startup.

My question is, why wasn't your's retrofitted with the pump at that time? If it is/has been a problem for this long, why didn't the owner or previous owner have the work done before.
Waiting 5-6 years down the road to now ask for a recall, well GM did something back then. Not their fault the owner didn't have the repairs made.
No need for a recall when they already offered a free fix before.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:39 PM
Technical Moderator

Dontcha think demanding recalls on old known issues is a really cheap shot, especially right now? The bandwagon is full.

Did you get an estimate?
Did you investigate how much the part would cost?
Did you find out how easy it is to install?

You do know that dealerships charge a higher labor rate than most shops? The Techs go to the same schools.

Try sending a PM to CCS, they will be chiming in here any minute anyway.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by donbrew
Dontcha think demanding recalls on old known issues is a really cheap shot, especially right now? The bandwagon is full.

Did you get an estimate?
Did you investigate how much the part would cost?
Did you find out how easy it is to install?

You do know that dealerships charge a higher labor rate than most shops? The Techs go to the same schools.

Try sending a PM to CCS, they will be chiming in here any minute anyway.

Maybe if they made a better product the cheap shots would cost more...
Old 03-28-2014, 07:46 PM

70K on my 08 Panel,purchased new in 07, it does not get babied, and only repairs (other than stash box latch recall) have been maintenance.

Nobody makes a 'perfect' car, but jeez, when you buy used you have to take into consideration how the previous owner used and maintained it.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:05 PM

Not a cheap shot. This is not a previous owner treatment problem. The dealer told me it's not a free fix. I have no idea why the previous owner didn't do anything if it was free then. GM customer care responded to me. We'll see what happens.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:24 PM
Technical Moderator

Yes it is a cheap shot!
"RECALL" is a very nice buzzword, it gets you noticed (that's what makes it cheap).

You went to ONE dealer, and I can guess from your general postings that there was an attitude problem. That goes for King Aire also.

The point was that the Original Owner should have also had the problem and could have easily had it repaired 5 or 6 years ago. Now you are just noticing it (I note you joined HHRnet in 2009), no doubt because you read a thread about it and there is a big recall going on now. I just don't believe it took you 6 years to care so much about an issue that you think is recall worthy.

"Maybe if they made a better product the cheap shots would cost more... " You do realize that YOU owned GM at the time your car was built, right? Where do you think all of that money is coming from?

Sour grapes.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Yes it is a cheap shot!
"RECALL" is a very nice buzzword, it gets you noticed (that's what makes it cheap).

You went to ONE dealer, and I can guess from your general postings that there was an attitude problem. That goes for King Aire also.

The point was that the Original Owner should have also had the problem and could have easily had it repaired 5 or 6 years ago. Now you are just noticing it (I note you joined HHRnet in 2009), no doubt because you read a thread about it and there is a big recall going on now. I just don't believe it took you 6 years to care so much about an issue that you think is recall worthy.

"Maybe if they made a better product the cheap shots would cost more... " You do realize that YOU owned GM at the time your car was built, right? Where do you think all of that money is coming from?

Sour grapes.
When I joined I owned another HHR. this one has had the problem since I've had it and it's not just one dealer and I have a good relationship with both dealers so no attitude on either side. Guess I should just read these forums from now on instead of post on them since you think moderating means assuming you know why someone is frustrated. You moderate a forum but you sound like you're the GM CEO

I'm not your child.

Last edited by eaglefreak138; 03-29-2014 at 06:04 AM.

Quick Reply: GM NEEDS to put a recall on the vacuum pump assist problem!