GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

GM Recalling 2006-2008 HHR's

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
I have already heard about this already. Someone posted it a short time ago.

It was originally posted in at least 3 different forums. The excellent moderators combined the threads and put it somewhere visible to all.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
Glad both ours have the roof rails!
Ones being recalled are the HHRs without side impact airbags, not without roof rails. The reason why they are being recalled I think is that not enough padding to protect heads and necks from serious injury.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:04 PM

It's kinda strange that this comes out now dispite the 5 star crash test ratings for front and side impacts and the 4 star roll over rating on a HHR test vehicle that did not have side impact air bags? I'm a little confused.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
It's kinda strange that this comes out now dispite the 5 star crash test ratings for front and side impacts and the 4 star roll over rating on a HHR test vehicle that did not have side impact air bags? I'm a little confused.
not really surprising as the HHR is based on the Cobalt sedan and the cobalt went thru the same issue last year..just took them longer to locate the hhr as a problem
Old 02-13-2008, 03:26 PM

Here is recall notice:
Originally Posted by SaferCar.gov
Make : CHEVROLET Model : HHR Year : 2006
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date : JAN 30, 2008
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 08V046000 N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: AIR BAGS
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 181516
Summary:
GM IS RECALLING 181,516 MY 2006-2008 CHEVROLET HHR VEHICLES NOT EQUIPPED WITH OPTIONAL ROOF RAIL AIR BAGS FOR FAILING TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 201, 'OCCUPANT PROTECTION IN INTERIOR IMPACT.' IN TESTS, ONE OF THE UPPER INTERIOR OCCUPANT PROTECTION TEST POINTS EXCEEDED THE STANDARD'S REQUIREMENT.
Consequence:
THIS STANDARD SPECIFIES PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS TO PROVIDE HEAD IMPACT PROTECTION FOR OCCUPANTS.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL AN ENERGY-ABSORBING PLASTIC PIECE TO THE HEADLINER TRIM. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MARCH 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438 OR HTTP://CHEVROLET.COM.
Notes:
GM RECALL NO. 080016. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION¿S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Smoke Wagon
not looking forward to letting my local Chevy dealer get their greasy paws on my HHR.
We actually use hand cleaner now before we work on the interiors of cars, afterall it's a new mellinium.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
We actually use hand cleaner now before we work on the interiors of cars, afterall it's a new mellinium.
You should tell that to the guys that worked on my HHR's sunroof, boy did they make a mess on my headliner.

I'd recommend you guys get little plastic shoe "condoms" because they really messed up my carpets and door panels.

But the dealer decided to detail the car after I complained so life is good I guess
Old 02-13-2008, 05:07 PM

This makes me nervous, too. Is this something that attaches on top of the existing headliner and trim? That could be quite ugly and tacky. Do they have to remove the headliner and place something underneath? That could lead to wrinkles and ripples in the headliner, or a headliner that comes loose down the road. I think I'll ask the dealer to see one that's been done before I have it done to mine.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
You should tell that to the guys that worked on my HHR's sunroof, boy did they make a mess on my headliner.

I'd recommend you guys get little plastic shoe "condoms" because they really messed up my carpets and door panels.

But the dealer decided to detail the car after I complained so life is good I guess
Maybe if I got some of those for the house my wife would quit yelling at me about the stained carpet. Nice suggestion.

Every dealership is different. I have three techs that do nothing but trim and body electrical so they stay fairly clean. You might of had an engine tech who just finished an overhaul work on yours. Also paper floor mats go a long way in keeping the grease off the customers carpet. And we also hand wash, vacuum and clean any grease spots before we deliver the vehicle back to the customer as part of the service experience.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr

Every dealership is different. I have three techs that do nothing but trim and body electrical so they stay fairly clean. You might of had an engine tech who just finished an overhaul work on yours. Also paper floor mats go a long way in keeping the grease off the customers carpet. And we also hand wash, vacuum and clean any grease spots before we deliver the vehicle back to the customer as part of the service experience.
Can I bring mine to you? It's only a little bit of a drive from TN! But may just be worth it ...

Quick Reply: GM Recalling 2006-2008 HHR's