Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   GM Recall Campaigns (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gm-recall-campaigns-70/)
-   -   ignition recall again (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gm-recall-campaigns-70/ignition-recall-again-60804/)

skyline26 09-06-2018 08:24 AM

ignition recall again

I had the recall done long time ago, pretty much as soon as this whole thing started. Just out of fluke yesterday while i was sitting in heavy stop and go traffic, i was messing with my key ring just flicking it and jiggling it and I noticed that the key felt loose. I never really noticed this before as you just turn the key and then let go and dont really touch it after that until you shut it down. BUT this time (yesterday) the key came right out! cylinder feels loose, teeth don't feel like they are grabbing. Whole thing feels loose. The car was ON, in DRIVE while all this happened.

I called GM Canada this morning and was told this is not normal for the ignition recall fix. They also said I am not the only person to report this happening after the fix. So i now have an open case file with them and waiting to hear back from them.

I suggest EVERYONE check out yours in case you also have a faulty one! People have died from this recall and yet GM's fix hasn't resolved the issue for many!

donbrew 09-06-2018 08:29 AM

They probably replaced it out of stock instead of ordering the part. So many people were screaming at them the hour the recall came out, they didn't finishing reading the directions. When I had mine done, which was almost a year in, I had to wait about 45 days for the part. If you didn't have to wait that's it.

Oldblue 09-06-2018 08:29 AM

Please keep us posted, how GM deals with this.

skyline26 09-06-2018 11:21 AM

I did have to wait, about a couple weeks for them to get in the new cylinders. They gave me new keys etc but like I said it did not solve the problem.
Just putting this out there in case this BS fix starts killing people again and another lawsuit comes up.

I was able to to replicate it while in my driveway, kept foot on brake while car was on and in drive and I could pull the key out easily without any resistance.

firemangeorge 09-06-2018 11:36 AM

Well, it's been about 4 years since the recall was started. Haven't heard about anyone having issues with the fix until reading your post. If you have a problem, by all means take it back to a dealer and tell them your concerns with your car.
I had mine done at the beginning of the recall. The new switch has always been tighter feeling than the original was.
Making a blanket statement like ::"in case this BS fix starts killing people again and another lawsuit comes up. " well that's not a good idea.

Oldblue 09-06-2018 12:51 PM

Does that new key have the small round hole or the larger D shaped hole? It could be they used the wrong or old style parts for your recall.

skyline26 09-06-2018 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge (Post 851563)
Well, it's been about 4 years since the recall was started. Haven't heard about anyone having issues with the fix until reading your post. If you have a problem, by all means take it back to a dealer and tell them your concerns with your car.
I had mine done at the beginning of the recall. The new switch has always been tighter feeling than the original was.
Making a blanket statement like ::"in case this BS fix starts killing people again and another lawsuit comes up. " well that's not a good idea.

not really a blanket statement. I’m just trying to raise awareness in case GM tries to again sweep this issue under the rug. As I stated, the GM rep said this isn’t the first complaint about the fix. So there are a few others there with his same problem.
I really hope it is a very small amount of people

skyline26 09-06-2018 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 851567)
Does that new key have the small round hole or the larger D shaped hole? It could be they used the wrong or old style parts for your recall.

i cannot recall what style it is at this time. I dont have the car with me, I think it’s the one with the bigger hole. ??.. hmmm ..

i parked it and using my motorcycle for now till I hear back from GM

donbrew 09-06-2018 01:27 PM

They were supposed to confiscate keys with the oblong hole. New keys have a circular hole.

skyline26 09-06-2018 01:31 PM

i will check the key when I get home from work today...but what I know for sure is that the new keys do not have any GM stamp on them. They are blank

solman98 09-06-2018 01:55 PM

That is odd. Don't have the HHR anymore, but do have the Cobalt and those new keys do indeed have bowties on them along with the small hole.

ON another note, they let me keep one old key for some reason.

firemangeorge 09-06-2018 03:07 PM

My recall parts before they were installed at the dealer. Note the small key ring holes and the Chevy emblem on the keys.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...1e7983c45a.jpg

donbrew 09-06-2018 04:47 PM

I wonder if you got the first key recall only. The fix for that was just the key with the circular hole.
You could check online at https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gm-r...-status-50716/

I think that works for GM Canada also?

firemangeorge 09-06-2018 05:32 PM

Not sure about skyline26.
In my case, the 1st recall was a new key cylinder, no new keys. 2nd one was the parts in my picture above. I even asked the 2nd go-round if I would receive another key cylinder. They said no since I'd had it done on the 1st recall.

donbrew 09-06-2018 09:09 PM

I mean the very first semi-recall, that was just new keys with the round hole. Might have been Canada only.

Oldblue 09-07-2018 06:33 AM

My recall was the lock and new keys.

donbrew 09-07-2018 08:36 AM

My memory hat is on now.

After the very first reports and deaths, GM offered new keys to people that complained. Not a real recall, just a stop gap thing to CYA, and blame the customer for putting too much weight on the key ring. Then they admitted it was not just the key, but also the cylinder, then they found the switch was also bad.

So there was a "customer satisfaction" campaign, then a key & cylinder recall then a switch recall. Most got the combined recalls all at the same time. Not all of the recalls applied to all years/models.

Rehash done.

skyline26 09-07-2018 11:51 AM

Still haven’t heard back from GM nor have I had the time to call back as I’ve been swamped at work.

But regarding the keys, I have the small hole one but like I said it doesn’t have a GM or Chevy stamp on the black plastic piece.

sleeper 09-07-2018 10:01 PM

Hmmmmm, I still have to have that recall done.

donbrew 09-08-2018 08:38 AM

I don't know why people that obviously have access to the interwebs insist on relying on somebody in Bangladesh for information. Check Recalls

skyline26 09-10-2018 01:36 PM

GM finally called me back today ( i havent drove my car since last week when i called ) . They stated that they already replaced the part and it comes only with a 1yr warranty. Since its beyond 1 yr im SOL.
Now I understand this on most things, but on a huge safety recall that this was, this should not be the case. They are telling me that I need to pay for the diagnostic and parts replacement + labor costs.
I then asked for their manager and she said the same thing. I reiterated that this is the part that GM made that was the fix to this recall and that a certified GM mechanic at a GM dealership had installed. If your so called "fix" doesnt work, you replace it
...they could care less for my concerns
I may be over thinking things but what happens if something happens today or tomorrow -getting into an accident, possibly killing myself or a passenger or a person in another vehicle because of this faulty part. I cant believe that they wont take responsibility on this, maybe do it as a "favor" or in good will and have it replaced for free.

Last GM vehicle for me ever. I really wish the government did not get involved to bail this company out. They should have gone under if they treat their customers like this.

donbrew 09-10-2018 02:17 PM

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to replace it yourself, or a locksmith or the guy down the street that owns a screwdriver and a paper clip.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-GM-FACTO...gAAOxy9DRSBHhG

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...9575c9a15c.png
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...a5908f4b36.png

skyline26 09-10-2018 03:02 PM

Thanks Don, but how do I know which is the new updated part number for the switch? Is the one you posted an actual updated part from a credible supplier?
i just want to make sure Im getting the correct one and not the old stock someone may be clearing from a warehouse

for example, i looked up the same part number in the ebay link on amazon and the old style keys are included with the ignition switch :

donbrew 09-10-2018 03:33 PM

The link I gave uses your key. it is a uncoded. You just remove your old pins and put them in the new cylinder. Of course, your problem may be the keys are worn out?

Theoretically GM destroyed the old parts. If you are really paranoid, I guess you could go to the GM parts dept and order a set coded to your VIN. You have the wrong keys now, I don't know why they would have given you Home Depot style blank. The official recall set was supposed to be special ordered for your VIN, Not a set of generic keys cut to fit. Maybe check with a locksmith.

And you never know if they are showing stock pix, seems nobody bothered to update their pix. You could probably find the part numbers if you waded through the recall thread; I think firemangeorge posted photos of the bag.

firemangeorge 09-10-2018 04:28 PM

Don. I'm pretty sure the plastic bag in my picture is just for the key rings. That part number on the bag would probably come back as that.
The switch, keys and rings came in 1 box. That's what the recall kit was. I took out the individual parts at the dealership parts counter so I could take that picture. I don't recall taking a picture of the actual box with the kit-part number.

Oldblue 09-10-2018 06:13 PM

Run your VIN to confirm your ignition recall was in fact done, try a different GM dealership!

skyline26 10-12-2018 03:24 PM

GM Canada got back to me, this time a different customer service agent. I’m guessing that this escalated quickly as they say the calls are recorded.
This guy I was dealing with was nice and said that they would take care of the repair right away at no cost. Brought in the car yesterday, new part installed.
I now have the keys that are shown in the picture above (my previous ones did not look like that) and the housing is a shiny chrome-like piece

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...7c6ce41c0.jpeg

donbrew 10-12-2018 04:09 PM

That is a different key than I got. Mine had a perfectly round hole just large enough for my key ring.

I suspect that the original job was done in a "customer satisfaction" rush before the recall parts were made available. They were trying to shut you up and blew the job.

This whole thing reminds of the old GM ignition key switch with the handle on them. Made so you could remove the key while the motor was running AND if you removed the key in the AUX position anybody walking by could start the car and drive off.

Silverfox 10-12-2018 05:52 PM

Boy ... That dealer is unbelievable in there behavior on this issue. Did the GM person that called to let you know they would cover it mention any apology for the Dealership people involved?
They just tried to push you to the curb on that one.
Glad to hear you stuck to your guns and got it handled.
Thanks for alerting us as well. I will check mine today.
Silverfox

firemangeorge 10-12-2018 06:25 PM

skyline26
Yes, that key is different than the one I got. Mine in the picture I posted (post #12) , just has the Chevy emblem on it.
4 years after mine was done, maybe GM has a different vendor for their keys ?
Anyhow. Glad you were able to get it taken care of.

Oldblue 10-12-2018 08:21 PM

Glad it’s fixed ,again.

Toyasock 11-07-2019 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by skyline26 (Post 851825)
GM finally called me back today ( i havent drove my car since last week when i called ) . They stated that they already replaced the part and it comes only with a 1yr warranty. Since its beyond 1 yr im SOL.
Now I understand this on most things, but on a huge safety recall that this was, this should not be the case. They are telling me that I need to pay for the diagnostic and parts replacement + labor costs.
I then asked for their manager and she said the same thing. I reiterated that this is the part that GM made that was the fix to this recall and that a certified GM mechanic at a GM dealership had installed. If your so called "fix" doesnt work, you replace it
...they could care less for my concerns
I may be over thinking things but what happens if something happens today or tomorrow -getting into an accident, possibly killing myself or a passenger or a person in another vehicle because of this faulty part. I cant believe that they wont take responsibility on this, maybe do it as a "favor" or in good will and have it replaced for free.

Last GM vehicle for me ever. I really wish the government did not get involved to bail this company out. They should have gone under if they treat their customers like this.

This very thing has happened to and I called dealership they told me the same thing I would have to pay and when they did recall there was no new keys either I still have old big hole key for my chevy 06 hhr who do I contact to look further into this situation please help

donbrew 11-07-2019 06:56 PM

The dealership that did it wrong would be a start. We have nothing to do with GM.
There was a period of time before, the recall that they were replacing the cylinder on goodwill; Unfortunately with the old parts, not the new improved parts.

Oldblue 11-07-2019 07:24 PM

Try a different dealership, like a Buick GMC

Toyasock 11-07-2019 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 877464)
The dealership that did it wrong would be a start. We have nothing to do with GM.
There was a period of time before, the recall that they were replacing the cylinder on goodwill; Unfortunately with the old parts, not the new improved parts.

I do think I got a bad part however I did call and talk to the dealership that replaced it and they told me that they doubt it's the ignition and I can bring it in there said it's been 4 yrs since they replace the switch and I will have to pay for it to be replaced

Toyasock 11-07-2019 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 877467)

Ok thanks

Toyasock 11-07-2019 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 877467)

Ok thanks

donbrew 11-07-2019 08:16 PM

If you have the slotted key you have the old part. I thought that's why you made special note of the fact.

Toyasock 11-07-2019 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 877478)
If you have the slotted key you have the old part. I thought that's why you made special note of the fact.

That is but also wondering why the dealership trying to make me pay for a recall part that went bad so basically I should of receive new keys when they did recall are u stating

donbrew 11-07-2019 08:51 PM

I don't know, I thought I explained that.