Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   GM Recall Campaigns (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gm-recall-campaigns-70/)
-   -   went to the dealer for the recall... (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gm-recall-campaigns-70/went-dealer-recall-50152/)

l78thumper 04-23-2014 12:40 AM

FOR all of you guys. You need to call and ORDER your ign kits. Parts are not going to just be at the dealer. There ordered for YOUR cars vin#. Call your dealer please or a dealer near you.

843de 04-23-2014 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by l78thumper (Post 745331)
FOR all of you guys. You need to call and ORDER your ign kits. Parts are not going to just be at the dealer. There ordered for YOUR cars vin#. Call your dealer please or a dealer near you.

X2 Thumper!

jay loukakis 04-24-2014 11:30 AM

I just got a 2nd recall letter saying it will take 90 minutes to install the 1st letter said the time to install would be 40 minutes, Does GM know anything???

fastsuv 04-24-2014 11:54 AM

I have a question I have not found asked yet, or if it has I haven't seen it.

My HHR has never had this problem in 160K miles. If GM wants to replace the switch, should I do it?

The reason I ask is that in the past I have taken vehicles in for a warranty repair only to have something else get broken or trim pieces reinstalled without all the fasteners, etc. In other words, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Thoughts?

Steve

whopper 04-24-2014 12:14 PM

It's a recall due to SAFETY issues. It's your choice - if you are not concerned about the safety issues, and are more concerned about the possibility of them screwing up something else in the process, then don't do it.

However, if you don't do it and you have an accident down the road, then don't come blaming GM...... and be prepared to be sued big time.

Snoopy 04-24-2014 03:01 PM

Jay......I think you are getting "cranky" in your old age:lol:.

You did read and understand that, at first, the ignition switch was the only item they were replacing. GM is now replacing the switch AND the ignition under the recall.....so it will take a little more time.

Snoopy 04-24-2014 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by whopper (Post 745454)
It's a recall due to SAFETY issues. It's your choice - if you are not concerned about the safety issues, and are more concerned about the possibility of them screwing up something else in the process, then don't do it.

However, if you don't do it and you have an accident down the road, then don't come blaming GM...... and be prepared to be sued big time.

I agree with whopper. But I will add a thought. While I'm not an attorney, I would think if you sold the car to a new owner and did now have the recall performed AND did not inform the new owner of this situation, you COULD be held somewhat accountable for any/some damages he/she has against you. You know, kind of passing on a knowingly faulty/dangerous/unsafe product.

But it IS broke and you should fix it. It just depends on when it will express the undesirable action of not allowing you to operate.

donbrew 04-24-2014 05:11 PM

4 pages in this thread, 26 pages in the ignition recall thread, 5 pages in the power steering recall thread.

How is this still news to veteran members?

whopper 04-24-2014 05:33 PM

Did you say recall Donbrew? What recall? ;)

tucsondivots 04-24-2014 07:58 PM

Got the second letter yesterday to call dealer now and make an appointment to replace ignition switch on my 2006. It says it should take 90 minutes but will likely take longer due to service scheduling requirements. "If required, your dealer will provide you with some form of courtesy transportation at no charge." Also, the letter says they will cut and, if necessary, re-learn two ignition/door keys at no charge. I am curious what experiences forum members have had so far. I am trying to keep up on the 26 pages.